News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Delays in the issuing of Police LSGC’s

Saw this posted on a social

media platform, thought it might be of interest?

“Met Officer, reached my 20 years last October.
    Gave it a month and heard nothing about my long service medal so made some enquiries, they were behind due to COVID.
    Fair enough but had no update so contacted them again.
    Due to the death of her majesty the Royal Mint haven't produced any as they do not have a picture of the King.
    Transferred my local government pension over to my Met one when I joined so I'm off, April 2024.
    Exit interview and long service medal all in one go”. 

Beggars two questions in my mind…

1. What was the excuse prior to Covid and the passing of E11R, which accounted for the lengthy delays in the issuing of LSGC’s?

2. What kind of delays, can we expect given these two current set of circumstances on top of the previous reasons for delays? 

The Law - Newspaper of the Essex Police" - July 1978 page 11

'Medals Muddle’
    Remarks made in the last issue of The Law about the "monumental indifference" displayed over the issue of long service medals have achieved the ultimate in response, a question in The House.

On July 5th, Sir Bernard Braine, Member for South East Essex, asked the Secretary of State, to what steps he is taking to overcome the delays in issuing long service medals to police officers, some of whom at the present rate of issue will have retired before they receive their medals."

Dr Shirley Summerskill, answering, said, "Every effort will be made to clear as soon as possible the backlog in the distribution of medals. Extra staff have been provided for this purpose,"

It seems that the Royal Mint have been working on a method of lacquering the medals to prevent tarnishing and this has caused delay.'

Interesting to learn, that the delays in the issuing of Police LSGC’s isn’t a new phenomenon, and has in fact been ongoing for decades!!

Edited by bigjarofwasps

• 2 weeks later...

Saw this on another forum, thought it might be of interest?

“Quality control of the Llantrisant Mint's medal naming also seems to have been patchy - there are lists of corrections of increasing length. The Metropolitan Police also seem to have been especially fussy about the standard of appearance of their medals - the Mint's Medal room apparently became so dispirited by the constant complaints that staff started avoiding working on Police medals altogether, which only added to delays!”

5F74081F-32C0-47CD-AA31-2A90E9593695.jpeg

• 1 month later...

As the eternal  wait goes on, conjuncture and speculation about when any new medals with the Kings effigy on will appear, abound.

Talk of existing stocks to be exhausted first , before new ones will be minted. 

The Royal Mint not taking any new orders. 

One could be forgiven, for thinking it’s all part of a great master plan….

Will the new medals have a crowned or uncrowned effigy? 

Could we in fact see both, depending on which service the recipient is from, as with previous LSGC’s?

Could we see recipients between 8th Sept and 6th May uncrowned, and crowned there after?? 

F2D6E610-9ADF-40A0-BD8B-F8E4A9E7765E.jpeg

4 hours ago, bigjarofwasps said:

As the eternal  wait goes on, conjuncture and speculation about when any new medals with the Kings effigy on will appear, abound.

Talk of existing stocks to be exhausted first , before new ones will be minted. 

The Royal Mint not taking any new orders. 

One could be forgiven, for thinking it’s all part of a great master plan….

Will the new medals have a crowned or uncrowned effigy? 

Could we in fact see both, depending on which service the recipient is from, as with previous LSGC’s?

Could we see recipients between 8th Sept and 6th May uncrowned, and crowned there after?? 

F2D6E610-9ADF-40A0-BD8B-F8E4A9E7765E.jpeg

Are you talking about whether the Coronation medal will be like this? I didnt think we knew if that was going to happen still at this late stage?

17 hours ago, I_♥_Police said:

Are you talking about whether the Coronation medal will be like this? I didnt think we knew if that was going to happen still at this late stage?

Re Coronation Medal, I suspect this will include an effigy of the new Queen.

With regards to LSGC’s, it will be interesting to see, if all now bear a crowned or uncrowned effigy?

Perhaps the plan all along has been to wait until the crowned effigy has confirmed/released, before any new medals were struck?

This would certainly account for the current delay? 

• 2 weeks later...

MOD FOI request, confirmed that as of the 3rd April 2023 - 

Medal (ER II Effigy) 
    Stock Held 

Long Service & Good Conduct Medal 39 for the MOD Police. 

Long Service & Good Conduct Medal 57 for the Defence Fire & Rescue Service.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... O.pdf.html

Of particular note is this - 

To answer your third question, I can confirm that no information is held determining a policy for 
    when those qualifying personnel will attract award of the 'old' or 'new' style of medal. 

To answer your fourth question, I can confirm that no information is held on the timeline for 
    procurement or issue of new LSGC medals at present. 

To answer your fifth question, I can confirm that no Information is held as no designs have been 
    approved by His Majesty as yet. 

As the Royal Mint have not been excepting orders for new medals for pushing 6 months now. It appears that not only do we have no formal answer as to when C111R medals will be released, but no concrete confirmation as to when or if E11R examples ceased to be. 

Which has sort of left us in a void.  

Certainly something that further generations of medal collectors will ponder 🤔 😂

Edited by bigjarofwasps

• 2 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...

Thought this might be of interest? 

All these recipients joined in 2002, but qualified for their LSGC’s pre 8th September 2022, so have been awarded a E11R version.

Long Service & Good Conduct - Kathryn joined D&C in 2002 on response, moving to the Child Protection Team and then SODAIT dealing with serious assaults and domestic violence. She is a highly regarded investigator & skilled Detective.

Long Service & Good Conduct - Steve joined in Aug 2002 on Response in Exeter. In 2006 he moved to the Dog Section & was allocated Police Dog Razor who was as sharp as his name suggests! Congratulations on 20yrs service.

Long Service & Good Conduct - James joined D&C in March 2002 at Teignmouth as a response officer. He created the Torbay Police football charity team raising over £30,000 for local charities.

Long Service & Good Conduct - Graham joined A&S in 2002, transferring to D&C in 2008 on Response at Plymouth. He is now the Sector Insp & is known for his energy, flexibility, resilience & sense of humour.

All these medals were presented in Feb & March 2023. Of particular note, is the fact that “Steve” qualified for his LSGC in August 2022, so had his medal presented in a very short space of time. Which proves it can be done….

C0146318-E260-409E-82C1-0480386F8EBC.jpeg

501D161E-B34B-4371-B4F2-C885C7AD9F8D.jpeg

E19EE121-81BF-4EB8-8964-10A6F4522B8E.jpeg

44217650-5AA0-442D-A9D9-055600C6B665.jpeg

• 3 months later...

Latest information suggestions that the delays in the production and issuing of medals, is in fact not at the feet of the Royal Mint. But it is in fact the Home Office, that are causing the backlog? The exact reason for this, is still to be established. It is also unclear at this time whether the formal effigy to be used as in fact been finalised? Which suggests that it may in fact, perhaps be different from the one used for the recent Nuclear Test & Humanitarian medals. 

Update from the Home Office (via the Fed), with regards Police LSGC’s is that the effigy was being decided on for both the late Queen and the King. But now it is almost ready. This is something outside of the Home Office and will sit with the Cabinet Office and the Royal Household. Hopefully, the Home Office will be giving advice to forces shortly that the new medals are ready once they hear that the effigy has been decided.

Latest situation with regards to Police LSGC’s as of Wednesday 27th September 2023.

“We are regularly contacting the Home Office for updates (phoning at least every 2 weeks) in relation to when the Royal Mint will be taking the orders for the long service medals with the King effigy following the passing of the Queen. The latest update from them this week is that the signing off the effigy by the King is close but has not been finalised. Once signed off the Home Office will then be submitting orders to the Royal Mint as all Police Forces will have been impacted by the delay it is difficult at this time to give an approximate time as to when we will in force receive the medals to pass on to qualifying serving and retired officers.

I appreciate that this will be frustrating for the officers as 12 months has passed but unfortunately, we can only be guided by the information supplied by the Home Office to ourselves and other police forces. There is also a delay in the force receiving the coronation medals.

As soon as any further information is received, we will share this with your office.”

8CCCCFDF-EDD9-4C9B-BAC3-0E9733E80254.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
    • 5 weeks later...

A friend of mine in A&S had his LSGC medal ceremony a couple of months ago. Had his certificate but he qualifies for the kings head version and he’s been told he will receive it next month. 

Edited by dutch9705

On 20/11/2023 at 16:21, dutch9705 said:

A friend of mine in A&S had his LSGC medal ceremony a couple of months ago. Had his certificate but he qualifies for the kings head version and he’s been told he will receive it next month. 

Recent publication produced by the A&S Crime Commissioner, that has been sent out to all Chief Constables. 

Thought it might be of interest?

(Includes criteria for the correct wearing of medals, as well as how to recommend Officers for gallantry awards.)

IMG_0993.jpeg

IMG_0994.jpeg

23 hours ago, bigjarofwasps said:

Recent publication produced by the A&S Crime Commissioner, that has been sent out to all Chief Constables. 

Thought it might be of interest?

(Includes criteria for the correct wearing of medals, as well as how to recommend Officers for gallantry awards.)

IMG_0993.jpeg

IMG_0994.jpeg

About time something like this was published and nice to see it originates from my old force… even if it’s from the PCC. At least he’s ex-forces and has too be better than his predecessor!

• 2 weeks later...

Little update, the Metropolitan Police have also published on their internal force website (I have heard this from several separate sources now), that the Royal Mint has now begun excepting orders again for LSGC’s and that they expect to begin awarding them again to Officers in the near future.

• 1 month later...

Did these medals ever manifest? 

16 hours ago, bigjarofwasps said:

Did these medals ever manifest? 

Not surprisingly, they didn’t! I spoke to my mate just before Christmas and he was told that the medals had still not been received and it was likely they would be sometime in the new year. I’ll try and get an update from him this week.