News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I am curious if anyone knows what event there was that connected this regiment to Bavaria around the end of 1909/beginning of 1910? At that time, a number of members of the regiment received Bavarian decorations. Known awards were:

BMVO Oberst Max v. Hopffgarten-Heidler
    BMV3 Oberstleutnant Lutze v. Wurmb
    BMV4 Hauptmann Ulrich v. Seebach
    BMV4 Oberleutnant Wilhelm Lincke
    BMV4 Oberleutnant Ulrich v. Rosenberg
    BMV4 Oberleutnant Ernst v. Bock u. Polach
    BMV4 Leutnant Alfred Wilhelm v. Rosenberg-Gruszczynski
    BMV4 Leutnant Ferdinand v. Heuß
    BM5b Fähnrich Eduard Lieber
    BM5b Fähnrich Leopold Credé

The officer awards were gazetted in the Militär-Wochenblatt on 1. März 1910, while Credé's medal is dated 23. Januar 1910 in his Personalakte. They do not appear to have been gazetted in the Verordnungsblatt des Königlich bayerischen Kriegsministeriums.

I first thought it might have had something to do with the 50th anniversary of the 55th IR, but that was celebrated in May of 1910. So the medals were awarded a bit earlier. Were there any visits from Luitpold at Lippe or vice versa around 1909? Did the IR 55 participate in the Kaisermanöver 1909? It took place in Bavaria.

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

I will have to look it up...shouldn´t be difficult to find out.

I also assume that it was connected to a Kaisermanöver...

Prince Franz von Bayern became a house-order 1st class Lippe-Detmold on 20th November 1909....maybe this was somehow connected.

Edit:
    There were some fitting additional awards on that day:
    Stefan Reichlin von Meldegg, Adjudant of Prince Franz von Bayern received a house-order 4th class
    Maximilian Zeller, Generalmajor of the Königl. Bayr.  2nd Kavallerie-Brigade got a 2nd class with oakleaves

and additionally two people connected to the kingdom Saxony got awarded, too.

Edited by Solomon