News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello Guys,

I have these 2 items that came together and I would like to find out all I can.

The photo is large format and I am assuming is of Wilhelm Spathelfer.

The document is a dedication from his friend Emil Gärtner which I have translated as:

Jesus said: I am the resurrection and the life John 11:25

To Commemorate Wilhelm Spathelfer, Teacher. Dedicated by (v. f. ??) friend Emil Gärtner

He died a hero's death for the fatherland at Aurhy on the 9th September 1915 in the war year 1914/15.

No one has greater love than this, he lays down his life for his friends John 15:13

Can anyone tell me what the v. f. in "gewidmet v.f. Freund Emil Gärtner" means please?

Also I cannot find a reference to Aurhy or when translated Authy.

The battle at Soissons, Aisne River 8th - 14th Jan. 1915 fits the date mentioned.

Where might I find any service history for these 2 men?

Many thanks

P1040797.JPG

P1040798.JPG

well as the second photo claims, that Wilhelm Spathelfer was a teacher before he went to war. The small village he died is called Auchy not Aurhy! also the day of his death seems to be 9th of january not September. 

You can find a photo of Auchy from 1915 here a map of this area here  In this area there was the 6th army corps, which mainly was built by bavarian soldiers, operating. Some text on this area also here  and there! This might helpy you a bit. 

PS: v. s. means von seinem 

Edited by BlackcowboyBS

1 minute ago, BlackcowboyBS said:

well as the second photo claims, that Wilhelm Spathelfer was a teacher before he went to war. The small village he died is called Auchy not Aurhy! also the day of his death seems to be 9th of january not September. 

You can find a photo of Auchy from 1915 here a map of this area here  In this area there was the 6th army corps, which mainly was built by bavarian soldiers, operating. Some text on this area also here  and there! This might helpy you a bit. 

Thank you, this is very helpful. 

Not sure why I wrote September…old age I guess.