News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

This badge came to me with a vague identification as a "Customs Officer's Badge". It's oval, silver, 55x46mm, unmarked, with a chain attached. The reverse has a spoon device for attaching to the uniform. More clues will follow momentarily,

img536.jpg

img537.jpg

Here's an image of an individual wearing a similar badge. I've also included an image of the note on the back of the photo. I know little of this kind of insignia and I'm 40 years out of date in reading German handwriting of the 1916 era.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

img542.jpg

img543.jpg

The piece has been described as a badge of rank by some dealers in the past. Whether that's true or not, I have no idea. Maybe a quick email to one of them would settle it- Flying Tiger Antiques has one currently on offer. I have never come across them being identified as Customs Officer's piece though. But that does not prove anything either way, of course.

BTW- Your piece is missing the lion's head attachment typically found at the end of the holding chain. Nevertheless- a great looking piece!

JBFloyd,

This badge is unknown to me but since it appears to have the crest of Bavaria on it I looked it up under that state.  Emedals sold one in the past and they called is a Bavaria, Kingdom Official's Breast Badge that indicates to me they did not know exactly what it was other than from the stats of Bavaria.  I've added some pictures from their site as the badge they sold was well marked.

Regards,

Gordon

a_4822.jpg

a_4830.jpg

a_4824 (1).jpg

a_4825.jpg

a_4826.jpg

Could it be about a Jagdaufseher / gamekeeper or the like? The text is about hunting with a marten trap and he finishes with a typical huntsman expression. Or he is a policeman hunting in his spare time ...

The card was written in Rettenberg in Oberallgäu.

Best,

GreyC

• 1 month later...