News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Italy Great War Group of 16 Miniatures

Gentlemen,

I have had this group of miniatures for some time.

I am assuming that it will be nigh on impossible to identify the recipient but I can only ask!

Also any ideas as to what miniature number 13 is?

1.      Order of St. Maurice & St. Lazarus

2.      War Merit Cross – Blue Ribbon

3.      War Merit Cross – Blue Ribbon

4.      War Merit Cross – Blue & White Ribbon

5.      War Merit Cross – Blue & White Ribbon

6.      Order of the Crown of Italy – with three gold crowns - Grand Cross

7.      1915-18 War Medal with date clasps – tba

8.      70th Anniversary of Italian Unification 1848-1918

9.      War Volunteers Medal

10.  Inter-Allied Victory Medal

11.  1919 Fiume Medal with star

12.  Royal Tombs Guard of Honour Medal

13.  TBA

14.  Sovereign Military Order of Malta – Knight of Honour & Devotion

15.  Kingdom of Two Sicilies - Scared Constantinian Military Order of St. George

16.  Dominica – Order of Trujillo Grand Cross

The Fiume Medal was instituted on September 12, 1919 by Gabriele d’Annunzio, leader of the unofficial expedition, to seize control of the port of Fiume. It was awarded to the 2,500 volunteers who participated in the expedition and to its notable supporters

The Medal for Veterans Guarding the Tomb of the Kings was authorized on July 14, 1879, and amended on January 1, 1880. It was established to honour the veterans of the war of 1848-1849 who guarded the tomb of Victor Emmanuel II. It is 30 mm. in diameter and of silver. The ribbon is blue with a white stripe in the centre, with one edge green and the other red. The first model has on the obverse a wreath of laurel with a superimposed, five-pointed star bearing at the centre the bust of the King and the words UMBERTO I° RE D'ITALIA; on the reverse, VETERANI 1848-49 / GUARDIA D'ONORE / ALLA TOMBA DEL RE / VITTORIO EMANUELE II After the death of Humbert I, Victor Emmanuel III altered the medal. The obverse bore his own bust and title, and the reverse read /AI/VETERANI 1848-1870 / GUARDIA D'ONORE / ALLE TOMBE DI RE / VITTORIO EMANUELE II / E UMBERTO I.

The Order of Trujillo was the second senior order of the Dominican Republic. It was instituted on 13 June 1938 in honour of the then-President Generalissimo Rafael Trujillo. It was awarded to both civilians and military personnel for distinguished services, regardless of Dominican Republic citizenship.

Many thanks,

Owain

Italy Great War Group Obverse.jpg

Italy Great War Group Reverse.jpg

Number 13---Visible legs & body obverse design, right side, resembles a first type [WW I] Médaille de la Reconnaissance française on incorrect ribbon.   Perhaps an uniface bronze example? 

Award criteria for that medal, however, normally excluded bestowal on military personnel though military personnel like Marshal Marie-Pierre Kœnig received it.  

• 8 months later...