News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Prussian painter Eduard Magnus (1799-1872)

Dear fellow collectors,

I am currently conducting research on the painter Eduard Magnus. I have reason to assume he was awarded the Prussian order of the red eagle third class with schleife (RAO3schl) somewhere during the 1840's. I have scanned the Preußische Staatsanzeiger but the results where inconclusive. He was mentioned in a 1844 article regarding the RAO but it didn't clearly state that he had gotten it.

I would also appreciate any information on other decorations received by Eduard Magnus. It is not unlikely that someone who received the RAO3schl had other decorations. All help is appreciated.

Kind regards, Laurentius

Dear Andreas,

Thank you for your help. If I read the document right Magnus became a knight on the Order of St. Michael in 1858? Very interesting. I didn't know about this bavarian connection.

Kind regards, Laurentius

Thank you Andreas,

The reason I asked is because I bought this painting for my collection. It shows a man, I think around 50-55 years old with a lovely miniature chain. The painting has a small plaque inscribed with 'Ed. Magnus 1842'. These five decorations, of which three have been identified seem to me as honours which could have been bestowed on a painter. Hence my question whether he had received the RAO3schl. It could be a self-portrait, it could be a painting by Magnus of someone else or it could be a painting not made by Magnus but put in a frame which belonged to a painting by Magnus. Frameswapping is not uncommon, especially with the finer frames we see in the Biedermeier period. 

I am still looking for the decorations bestowed upon Magnus, we now know he has the Order of St. Michael, which is not shown in the painting. 

Regardless of who he is I am also trying to figure out his decorations. These are my guesses so far:

- Prussia: Red Eagle Order 3. class with schleife

- unknown, a medal, probably Prussian

- unknown, a cross with swords, silvery colour with blue centre

- Russia: Order of St. Stanislaus

- Russia: Order of St. Wladimir

It seems odd to me that the Order of St. Stanislaus should take precedent, as I thought that the Order of St. Wladimir was higher. Maybe an indication for which class he received? I usually refrain from chains so my knowledge in this field generally comes from their 'big brothers'. 

I doubt that it is a self-portrait since I didn't read anything about Magnus spending time in the military. If the little plaque is correct this man may also be too old to be Magnus. 

Kind regards and thanks in advance, Laurentius

20220716_182421.jpg

20220716_183316.jpg

20220716_184619.jpg

19 hours ago, dedehansen said:

I think that it is a painting made by Eduard Magnus

I'd like to think that too, the value would be much higher than the price I payed. I doubt it sadly. The painting is of fine quality (hence the reason I bought it) but it's not quite up to Magnus' standard. It seemed to me more likely to be a portrait of him, especially given that he was mentioned in a 1844 article of the Staatsanzeiger in the same (but somewhat unreadable) paragraph as recipients of the RAO3schl.

We have established with Andreas' help that he had the Order of st. Michael. There must surely be more?

Kind regards, Laurentius