News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

EK1 1914 non magnetic ?genuine or fake

Hi,

I'm fairly new to collecting the EKs, in that had ceased collecting for 12 years and recently have become re-enthused. Advice please: I bought is from a respectable dealer,who has a guarantee. Is this genuine?? - I can't match it to any 1914 cores in Wernitz and Simons, nor any 1939 reissues in Maerz & Stimson. It looks nice though so hoping....

11.jpg

111.jpg

My first thoughts were Petz & Lorenz but not. Schickle was my next guess and although closer, again no match. More research required obviously. One of the more expert collectors here will know for sure.    

Edited by Peter Cornwell

If the Dealer is respectable , he might have given you some information about the EK

In general if one starts collecting EKs he has to start with the basic and well know makers once gaining experience then can buy some more unusual EKs with more confidence. As Peter said i hope one of more advanced and with more expertise members may identify the maker Good luck

I cannot identify the maker, but nonetheless, this is an authentic, inter-war era private purchase cross, probably from the early to mid 1930s. Very similar crosses are shown on our friend 5tefan's site ek1-dna.de, described as "Unknown Maker (Associated with Otto Schickle)". See here for reference.

6 hours ago, Graf said:

If the Dealer is respectable , he might have given you some information (...)

How that, please? If the seller cannot or doesn't want to attribute this cross to a certain maker, this has no influence on his reputation and it doesn't take anything away from the cross. I sometimes really don't get how fixated we're on the "maker thing" - often not sourced, and sometimes just wrong! This is not the main thing about authentic, historical awards, if you ask me. But I really don't want to argue...

;)

Hi All,

Thank you so much for your very prompt and reassuring opinions. I also sent the pics yesterday to another dealer I have used, Marco Köegl,. He says it is a good one piece Schickle. My understanding is that makes it a post WW1 production piece, but there are no Schickle pieces pictured in my EK1 book that covers the period - Maerz and Stimson. In the text it does say that Schickle made imperial medals. I am embarrassed to admit that I have a nonmagnetic EK2 1914 with the same core, but not thought to compare it !! pic below

Thanks again; the forum is such a great wealth of expertise. I now plan to get involved - albeit likely more with questions than answers at my stage. I have no-one I know of to share my interest with locally. I am in New Zealand, where the collecting of foreign medals is most unusual (by 'unusual' I mean 'uncommon', but I have to admit 'unusual', in a wider context than just the collecting of medals, is a likely descriptive of me). 

Cheers

David

1212.JPG

20 hours ago, saschaw said:

I cannot identify the maker, but nonetheless, this is an authentic, inter-war era private purchase cross, probably from the early to mid 1930s. Very similar crosses are shown on our friend 5tefan's site ek1-dna.de, described as "Unknown Maker (Associated with Otto Schickle)". See here for reference.

How that, please? If the seller cannot or doesn't want to attribute this cross to a certain maker, this has no influence on his reputation and it doesn't take anything away from the cross. I sometimes really don't get how fixated we're on the "maker thing" - often not sourced, and sometimes just wrong! This is not the main thing about authentic, historical awards, if you ask me. But I really don't want to argue...

;)

Sorry I did  not mean to attack the Dealer in any way Please read carefully I said "he might have given you information" In any way I had no intention to harm anyone reputation  If I am critical to some well known questionable dealers I express my open honest opinion with no reservations Some do reserve that and I have the right for my opinion Otherwise we are going back in history.

BTW the world is not a happy place at the moment

Lost in translation

No harm done

BTW Thank you for your information

Cheers

Edited by Graf

Glad to hear you like it here, and want to get more involved! By the way, you're certainly not the only New Zealand collector of Iron Crosses or German states' awards in general... there are definitively some more!

17 hours ago, Aardvarkblue said:

My understanding is that makes it a post WW1 production piece (...)

Yes, definitely from the inter-war period, or possible from early WW2 days. Regarding WW1 production: all officially awarded crosses were multi-piece constructions with an iron core in a real silver frame that was usually not silver marked. Everything else, like non-iron cores or silvered frames, and especially one-piece crosses, are not officially awarded, and are often later produced pieces. Veterans' demand was high, as you can imagine!

;)

7 hours ago, Graf said:

Sorry I did  not mean to attack the Dealer in any way (...)

I actually read very carefully, but given English is not my first language, and I'm far from fluent, I might have missed some slight nuances. Glad though we talked it over!

:beer:

On 18/07/2022 at 06:40, saschaw said:

Glad to hear you like it here, and want to get more involved! By the way, you're certainly not the only New Zealand collector of Iron Crosses or German states' awards in general... there are definitively some more!

Yes, definitely from the inter-war period, or possible from early WW2 days. Regarding WW1 production: all officially awarded crosses were multi-piece constructions with an iron core in a real silver frame that was usually not silver marked. Everything else, like non-iron cores or silvered frames, and especially one-piece crosses, are not officially awarded, and are often later produced pieces. Veterans' demand was high, as you can imagine!

;)

I actually read very carefully, but given English is not my first language, and I'm far from fluent, I might have missed some slight nuances. Glad though we talked it over!

:beer:

I need to make contact with fellow collectors in New Zealand!!