News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Is this a Liyakat medal made in Germany?

1812 Overture

Hello fellow collectors! I bought a Liyakat medal from the Ottoman Empire a few years ago, and today I found it had an imprint "925" on the ring, is it made in Germany? Its top doesn't look like other Liyakat. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

psc.thumb.jpg.ba6ab0c731eb5d49490b7cf2f522389e.jpg547871380_psc(1).thumb.jpg.1ba6ea208545ef4da238a583615be709.jpg1519253583_psc(2).thumb.jpg.83e081ed0e5fe8a30a87fc2d51da64f8.jpg

PS: Also, can anyone tell me what the Islamic text on the back means?:ninja:

Hello,

It looks like a German made medal. Please check the thickness. If it is more than 2 mm. then it is German made.
    German made ones are thicker than the Turkish ones. 
    Also, you can see from the attached photo that the Turkish ones have a ring for the original suspension, and the German one's suspension were welded to the medal.

Reverse: "The Medal of Merit, for those who showed loyalty and bravery" is written in raised letters. At the bottom, the Hijri year 1308 (1891) is written in a cartouche.

Best wishes

Demir

IMG_2974.PNG

Edited by demir

2 hours ago, demir said:

Hello,

It looks like a German made medal. Please check the thickness. If it is more than 2 mm. then it is German made.
    German made ones are thicker than the Turkish ones. 
    Also, you can see from the attached photo that the Turkish ones have a ring for the original suspension, and the German one's suspension were welded to the medal.

Reverse: "The Medal of Merit, for those who showed loyalty and bravery" is written in raised letters. At the bottom, the Hijri year 1308 (1891) is written in a cartouche.

Best wishes

Demir

IMG_2974.PNG

yes sir demir, the turkish made medals with perforations directly on the medals seriously spoils the aesthetics of the medals, I think it's because of their technology? My medals are three millimeters thick

Good. So it is German made. But in this case it must bu considered replica or unofficial medal made outside of Türkiye. (The new offical name) It is rare so good for a collection

Edited by demir