News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

a iron crown with some question&opinions wanted

dear gentlemans

i buy this pieces recently,as the picture shown, this pieces have a star mark on the ring , the laurel wreath of the Kriegsdekoration have enameled on it, but the bottom of lombardic crown edge seems too sharp? i dont know if its any problem in this pieces, and which producter could it be?  any advise would be appreciated! 

thanks in advance

QQ图片20220813230302.jpg

QQ图片20220813230306.jpg

QQ图片20220813225936.jpg

QQ图片20220813225924.jpg

QQ图片20220813225918.jpg

Hello,

thanks to the pictures provided, I can say that your piece is a fine, late-war manufacture, 3rd Class badge of the Iron Crown with War Decoration and Swords ("Kriegsdekoration und Schwerter"). The piece is correctly put in a "Bergmann"-made case bearing Austria's coat-of-arms, embossed on the inner cushion, instead of the usual maker's logo.

The piece itself has no maker's mark and cannot be attributed to any of the better known firms active in Vienna, like Rothe, Köchert, Rozet & Fischmeister or Mayer's Söhne.

In this case, the "sharp" junction of the two halves of the lombardic crown, is not an alarm sign of a copy.

Let's consider this piece, as a nice, 1918-made piece, belonged to a now unknown, brave officer.

All the best,

Enzo (E.L.)

Hi, 

basically everything was said by Enzo and Christian. I may just add that manufacturer is G.A. Scheid, well known maker of Red Cross decorations. His EKO has a specific design of the crown. He made these EKO3 in gilded bronze and gilded silver. 

Regards, 

Tifes (Tomas)

Thank you Tomas,

I agree with you, attributing that EKO-III Kl.m.d.KD u.Schw. to the manufacture of G.A. Scheid.

Being presently away from home and the availability of my collection I am unable to give more help on this subject, where my memory fails re. variations and their makers.

Your contribution is again an invaluable one, giving more, precious info about the fine, hereby discussed wartime piece.

All the best,

Enzo (E.L.)

• 1 year later...

Dear Carol,

same as for the FJO in your other post. All three pieces are legit and WW1 production but not in good condition. It depends on the price - if they are going cheap and you are in need of an EKO3 you can buy it, but there are much better pieces around. It will not be easy to find an original ribbon for the third piece.

Look at the Dorotheum auction again: https://www.dorotheum.com/de/a/104732/

Kindest regards

Christian

Here, I would be very careful. Rozet&Fischmeister piece (first on left) is probably having the War Decoration replaced. It's definitely not original one and it might be latter manufacture. Köchert piece (in the middle) has the War Decoration completely missing as it was originally a piece with WD. Moreover central shields looked to be damaged and repaired (not very sophisticated indeed) Last one (on the right) seems like gilded bronze piece made without WD in somehow better quality. 

Regards, 

Tifes/Tomas

5 hours ago, tifes said:

Here, I would be very careful. Rozet&Fischmeister piece (first on left) is probably having the War Decoration replaced. It's definitely not original one and it might be latter manufacture. Köchert piece (in the middle) has the War Decoration completely missing as it was originally a piece with WD. Moreover central shields looked to be damaged and repaired (not very sophisticated indeed) Last one (on the right) seems like gilded bronze piece made without WD in somehow better quality. 

Regards, 

Tifes/Tomas

Thanks a lot for your opinion, Tomas.