News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Two EK1’s

Hi all,

My first post here. I am attempting to accrue all manufacturers of the Imperial Iron Cross. What do you think about these two crosses? The first one is allegedly Maybauer and the second unmarked.

FAD8C806-74CA-4AD4-B900-63E2129C2343.jpeg

ED3DAE06-7A88-4593-A2AB-88B554E0BDF8.jpeg

3FB8E18A-E14E-4A0D-AC2D-B5882A6ABBB3.jpeg

13152944-CEAE-499D-8ED1-800D7DA75AA6.jpeg

The second EK1 

1EBD7144-5120-4912-931A-CE8F63DF9F91.jpeg

56801BC3-7B54-4B5F-B4A7-0E594F8AEB91.jpeg

0A62780B-7286-457C-8917-17E9225FBB47.jpeg

Droocoo,

Welcome to the forum. You are embarking upon a most ambitious enterprise and I wish you every success with it. But have you seriously considered the scope of what is involved ? An example from every maker will represent a formidable collection once complete. If you haven't already done so, I would recommend that you first obtain some good reference books on the subject so you can recognise common core types of different makers and typical fixings etc. Not every maker stamped their crosses and I would be reluctant to simply accept the word of a seller on their origin. As I say, good luck !    

PS I'm no expert but, from the photo, your first cross does appear to have a core type known to be associated with MEYBAUER. So, so far so good ?

Hi Peter,

I am aware of the undertaking - I collect British medals so this is a side interest for me. Nevertheless, it is an interesting one! I have a few reference books including Maerz’s for the Third Reich and Previtera’s for Imperial crosses. There are 102 marks known for the Imperial Iron Cross. I have 25 manufacturers thus far, so a little way to go.

Andrew

On 16/09/2022 at 08:52, VtwinVince said:

They're both good private purchase pieces, first is definitely a Meybauer with replaced hardware.

This is the information you need

Yes,  the pin was replaced plus the hook was re soldered  When it was done ? We can only speculate

Cheers

18 hours ago, VtwinVince said:

If you know anything about Meybauer, you'll realise that this manufacturer produced pieces both with and without their logo, and with differing silver content marks. Not unusual. What is unusual is the characteristic shape of their cores.

I agree on those points. For novice it is important to buy marked  or if unmarked from a reputable seller

The cross that we are discussing is for sale on eBay Germany  It comes with a nice box The seller did not clearly specify that it is Meybauer He gust suggested that could be Meybauer piece