News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The New King's Cypher & the Link with the Past - Metropolitan Police.

The announcement of a return to the use of the Imperial State crown alongside the release of images the King's new cypher gives me the opportunity of reminding those with an interest in collecting police insignia of the short lived reign of King Edward VIII. He succeeded the throne following the death of his father in 1936 and abdicated a few months later choosing marriage to an American divorcee over service to his country. The Metropolitan Police were quick to have helmet plates and cap badges made featuring the new King's cypher, only to be stopped in their tracks when he announced that he was stepping down as King. There is no evidence that the badges ever saw the light of day on the streets of London.

Appended are photographs of the badges in question.

I suspect that the Metropolitan Police will be unable to resist the desire to incorporate the new King's cypher into their badges. When they do it seems probable that the first to wear them will be officers stationed at the various palaces both in England and Scotland.

Dave.  

Metpol. EVIIIR HP (2).JPG

Met. Police EVIIR CB's..JPG

Edited by Dave Wilkinson

28 minutes ago, Dave Wilkinson said:

The announcement of a return to the use of the Imperial State crown alongside the release of images the King's new cypher gives me the opportunity of reminding those with an interest in collecting police insignia of the short lived reign of King Edward VIII. He succeeded the throne following the death of his father in 1936 and abdicated a few months later choosing marriage to an American divorcee over service to his country. The Metropolitan Police were quick to have helmet plates and cap badges made featuring the new King's cypher, only to be stopped in their tracks when he announced that he was stepping down as King. There is no evidence that the badges ever saw the light of day on the streets of London.

Appended are photographs of the badges in question.

I suspect that the Metropolitan Police will be unable to resist the desire to incorporate the new King's cypher into their badges. When they do it seems probable that the first to wear them will be officers stationed at the various palaces both in England and Scotland.

Dave.  

Metpol. EVIIIR HP (2).JPG

Met. Police EVIIR CB's..JPG

This of course this raises the question, are C111R badges being produced at this very minute, or have they learnt be this experience and will wait for the crown to be firmly on his head before they do so?

Perhaps having a formal badge changing parade of some description  on the same day? 

Only a handful of forces produced the EVIIIR badges but I know of only one force that actually issued them and that was Gloucestershire Constabulary.

I have a photo of a Superintendent from that force wearing his EVIIIR cap badge. I'll locate it and attach an image.

Dave.

Gloucestershire EVIIIR Supt..JPG

DSCF1115 (2).JPG

Edited by Dave Wilkinson

9 minutes ago, Dave Wilkinson said:

Only a handful of forces produced the EVIIIR badges but I know of only one force that actually issued them and that was Gloucestershire Constabulary.

I have a photo of a Superintendent from that force wearing his EVIIIR cap badge. I'll locate it and attach an image.

Dave.

Brilliant, look forward to that!!!

I can see it being a very long time before any change. Who am I to say, however what I can see being a possibility is that forces with EIIR on the badges, such as the Met, having to change it. I can forsee other forces who have a county arms in the centre of the badges, such as Essex for example, keeping it albeit with the Queens Crown due to costing issues. I hope I am wrong, however.

• 1 month later...
    On 27/09/2022 at 16:10, I_♥_Police said:

I can see it being a very long time before any change. Who am I to say, however what I can see being a possibility is that forces with EIIR on the badges, such as the Met, having to change it. I can forsee other forces who have a county arms in the centre of the badges, such as Essex for example, keeping it albeit with the Queens Crown due to costing issues. I hope I am wrong, however.

Thought this might be of interest? 

4286852A-ACFB-46DD-B3F1-F61A47A833D8.jpeg

On 24/11/2022 at 14:37, bigjarofwasps said:

Thought this might be of interest? 

4286852A-ACFB-46DD-B3F1-F61A47A833D8.jpeg

thank you for posting! Definitely! I would be interested to see the first CiiR cap badges and helmet plates and wonder who will be first. No one seems to have changed yet