News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Landwehr -Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 38

What kind of information were you hoping to find?

LIR 38 was a Silesian regiment. Its Stab, I. Bataillon and II. Bataillon were raised in Schweidnitz by Grenadier-Regiment Nr. 10 and its III. Bataillon was raised in Glatz by Füsilier-Regiment Nr. 38. It was part of the 21. Landwehr-Brigade for most of the war, and the 39. Kavallerie-Brigade of the 4. Kavallerie-Division from mid-1918 to the end of the war. It was demobilized and dissolved in December 1918.

Veterans were part of the Zehnter-Bund, along with GR 10, RIR 10, RIR 11, LIR 10, IR 456, Brig.Ers.Btl. 21, MG-Scharfsch.Abt. 19 and Ldst.Inf.Btl. Schweidnitz.

Because of the GR 10 connection, members of the regiment received a few Sachsen-Meiningen awards, but not many: a few Ernestine Hausorden of various classes, 6 Ehrenkreuze für Verdienst im Kriege, less than 20 Ehrenmedaillen für Verdienst im Kriege. Otherwise, members of the regiment don't show up on many Landesorden award rolls.

Hello Andi,

Landwehr-Infanterie Regiment Nr. 38

LIR 38 was formed in Schweidnitz with Rgt.-Staff and I-III Btls. and became Festungsbesatzung Breslau

of 21. L.I.Br.  By July 1915 it became part of Ldw.Inf. Div.14 and by June 1918 part of 4th KD.

CO  of LIR 38 : Oberstlt. von Roos, I.Btl. Oberstlt.z.D. von Reuss, II.Btl. ???, III.Btl. Oberstlt.a.D.Goerlitz

Battles : 14.LID Eastern Front only, 4th KD at the Eastern Front and since April/May 1918 at the Western Front,

Vogesen and Oberelsass ‘till end of war.

War formation of 14.LID 1915

21.L.I.Br. with LIR 10 and 38, Lst.IR 10 and FMGZ 246, 260 and 261

War formation of 14.LID 1918

21.L.I.Br. with LIR 10 and 38, IR 346 and Radf.Komp.155

War formation of 4th KD, June 10.1918

39.Kav.Brg. with LIR 38, 40 and 436.

Source : Mein Regiment, Formationsgeschichte der deutschen Infanterie 1914/18 by Hartwig Busche,

Zur Formationsgeschichte der Infanterie 1914/18, by Oberst a.D. Hans Kling in Deutsche Heereskunde, 1960.

With best regards,

Klaus

Thank you soo much for the information.

I was trying to find out where the 38th was in August 1915. I looked at regiment history books but I can’t find one for this regiment.

my great grandfather lost his life near Morgi in Poland . I found Morgi. It would be awesome to find out what happened that day. I think it was the 15th or 16th of august.

thank you

andi

Hello Andi,

thanks for your reply. Why don't you check with the Deutsche Kriegsgraeberfuersorge ? They're good people,

friendly and helpful. 

Volksbund Deutsche Kriegsgraeberfuersorge e.V.

Werner Hilpert Str. 2

34112 Kassel

Germany

BTW, by August 1915 I found the following battles of LID 14 at the Eastern Front :

7/18-8/12 Einschliessungsgefechte von Modlin (Nowo Georgiewsk)

8/13-20    Belagerung von Modlin

8/29-9/8   Niemen Schlacht

Note : please double check Morgi and Modlin.

Best regards,

Klaus

Lieber Klaus,

Ich danke dir für die schnelle Nachricht.

Schon wieder tolle information.

Natürlich habe ich auch schon nachgedacht ob da ein Fehler ist mit dem Ortsnamen.

Hier ist die sterbe urkunde, kannst du das vielleicht besser entziffern?

Ich lebe seit 1989 in Australien und mein Sütterling ist verrostet.

ich danke dir!

Andi

SterbeUrkunde.jpg

Lieber Klaus,

Ich habe versucht eine karte zu finden vom August 1915.

Zusammen mit deiner information( 8/13-20 Belagerung von Modlin) sieht es aus als ob ich Morgi gefunden habe. Kurz vor Warschau. Modlin is nördlich von Warschau.

Es gibt mehrere Morgi plätze in Polen.

Was meinst du?

maps_27_easternfront_Morgi.jpg.3a4d1b6935f2e8c20775a3b861f2b4d9.jpg

Hello Andi,

besten Dank fuer Deine Antwort. Auch ich habe Probleme mit der Suetterlin Schrift,

habe aber verstanden, dass Dein Grossvater am 13. August bei Modri gefallen ist.

Modri habe ich gefunden in Reichsarchiv, Schlachten des Weltkrieges Band 8.

“Die Eroberung von Nowo Georgiewst”.

Seite 39/40 : Die Vorbereitung des Angriffs.

Die Truppen im Hauptangriffsabschnitt fuehrten GLt. Schalscha von Ehrenfeld,

Kdr. 14. LWD, GMaj. Scmiedecke, Kdr. 21.L.I.Br. und Oberst Graf Pfeil. Sie standen

am 10. August in der Linie “Morgi”-Cegielna-Psucka-Wolka Kikolska, westlich von

Cegielna, die 21.Landwehr Brigade mit den schlesischen Landwehr Regimenter 38 und 10.

Die schlesischen Regimenter waren angesetzt das Fort XVa der Festung Nowo Georgiewst zu nehmen.

M.E. ist Dein Grossvater im Vorfeld in Richtung Fort XVa bei Modri gefallen.

Andi, das Buch kommt mit Karten, Zeichnungen, Bilder und Gliederungen der Truppen und ist

bestimmt im Buchhandel leicht erhaeltlich.

Mit bestem Gruss

Klaus

5 hours ago, Klaus P. Schad said:

Hello Andi,

besten Dank fuer Deine Antwort. Auch ich habe Probleme mit der Suetterlin Schrift,

habe aber verstanden, dass Dein Grossvater am 13. August bei Modri gefallen ist.

Kdr. 14. LWD, GMaj. Scmiedecke, Kdr. 21.L.I.Br. und Oberst Graf Pfeil. Sie standen

Cegielna, die 21.Landwehr Brigade mit den schlesischen Landwehr Regimenter 38 und 10.

Die schlesischen Regimenter waren angesetzt das Fort XVa der Festung Nowo Georgiewst zu nehmen.

Andi, das Buch kommt mit Karten, Zeichnungen, Bilder und Gliederungen der Truppen und ist

Mit bestem Gruss

Klaus

Lieber Klaus,

ich danke dir für die tolle Information.

Buch habe ich schon bestellt bei ZVAB!

voll toll

danke

Hello Andi,

Mit bestem Gruss

Klaus

Andi,

moechte Dir nochmals vorschlagen mit der Deutschen Kriegsgraeberfuersorge in Verbindung zu gehen.

Vielleicht bestehen naehere Informationen ueber den Todestag Deines Grossvaters, Grablage, Umbettungen etc, etc.

Mit bestem Gruss

Klaus

Hi,

this is the house your relative lived in in Hamburg. As a Hafenarbeiter he lived near the harbour in a typical workmensquarter, albeit in the rear of the building pictured (Hinterhaus).

https://www.google.de/maps/place/Hardenstraße+70,+20539+Hamburg/@53.5360168,10.032467,3a,75y,323.71h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1smElcDKY-7JGZQ3sjxgQ6aQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!4m5!3m4!1s0x47b18e8bd6e545b5:0x2a517f466efb65a1!8m2!3d53.5359067!4d10.0321728

GreyC

PS_ I, too, read Morgi. Might be a transmission mistake from the clerk at the Standesamt.

Why he did not serve with a unit from Hamburg (being a resident there, is beyond me. Usually you were drafted at the place you lived at during mobilisation.

Edited by GreyC

On 20/10/2022 at 06:19, Klaus P. Schad said:

Lieber Klaus,

Ich habe heute einen Suchantrag bei der Deutschen Kriegsgräberfürsorge angestellt.

Danke für den Vorschlag.

Andi

On 20/10/2022 at 06:19, Klaus P. Schad said:

Andi,

moechte Dir nochmals vorschlagen mit der Deutschen Kriegsgraeberfuersorge in Verbindung zu gehen.

Vielleicht bestehen naehere Informationen ueber den Todestag Deines Grossvaters, Grablage, Umbettungen etc, etc.

Mit bestem Gruss

Klaus

Hi All,

I have received my copy of the Reichsarchiv Nowo Georgiewst Band 8. Thank you Klaus!

Yes I am convinced now that I have the correct Morgi location. Please see the map that came with the book. My ancestor probably lost his life there. According to the book there was heavy fighting to take the town Gut Czajki.

Thank you all for your help.

My next task is to find where the men are buried from that part of the battle. I contacted the Kriegsgräberfürsorge. 

Morgi.thumb.jpg.74dd207e2c035b9a60f5caa4abd66395.jpg