News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Odd combination of WW2 medals.

Hello, I noticed this odd combination of WW2 medals for sale. Both sets are mounted and doesn't look like they were recently mounted. Was it feasible to earn these combination of medals without also being awarded at least the 1939-1945 War Medal too?

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

Different theatre stars had different rules. Theoretically, for example, someone could have done 3 years in the ARP or Home Guard in the UK to get the Defence Medal, then one day in Burma to get the Burma Star. Not sure about the Italy Star's criteria but it is plausible that this could be the case. Potentially a civilian entertainer with the forces?

7 minutes ago, Zulu_00 said:

Different theatre stars had different rules. Theoretically, for example, someone could have done 3 years in the ARP or Home Guard in the UK to get the Defence Medal, then one day in Burma to get the Burma Star. Not sure about the Italy Star's criteria but it is plausible that this could be the case. Potentially a civilian entertainer with the forces?

Checked it out and the Italy Star (for army, naval shore based and RAF non aircrew) just required entry into the theatre. These are unusual pairs, but far from impossible. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italy_Star

• 2 weeks later...
    On 23/11/2022 at 08:40, bigjarofwasps said:

Interesting, but I would say not.

Having said that mind, I have seen campaign star groups with both the war and defence medals, but with no 39-45 star. Not sure how that works? 

20221201_191219.jpg

One from my collection. Someone on this forum said it was typical of a late entry into the theatre of war; last few months but less that 6 months so didn't quality for the 1939-1945 Star.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Spent some time looking at the award criteria for the various stars and medals and got totally confused. As I read it, can't see that the 1939-1945 Star and Defence Medal would be legitimate, but possibly the Defence Medal and Italy Star might be OK, like was said may be a civilian in some sort of capacity. Or may be just random medals put together for no particular reason!