News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I have had this medal group for a while. It was originally attributed to Zahlmeister Otto Körner.

From research I have been able to establish the following:
    Born - 10 May 1868 in Tuttendorf, Saxony.
    1895 - Zahlmeister "Hussars Regiment 'von Zieten' (Brandenburg) No. 3”. Rangliste der Koniglich Preußischen Armee 1895
    1892 - 1901 - Zahlmeister Schutztruppe in German East Africa, 1892 - 1901 - Schutztruppe Farewell Gift 1901
    1901 - Zahlmeister Schutztruppe in German East Africa. Rangliste der Koniglich Preußischen Armee 1901
    1916 - Married Elise Wilhelmine Seipel 7 Nov 1916
    1938 - Occupation: Oberzahlmeister außer Dienst (retired) - Gelnhausen Amtsbezirk (Resident’s Address Register)
    1950 - Death: 16 Dec 1950 in Gelnhausen, Hesse

But I have not been able to make any link to the Sachsen Armee during WW1( in any of the Rangliste post WW1). In fact he seems to disappear from the Rangliste for Germany/Prussia after 1901and doesn't appear in the Saxon Rangliste pre WW1 at all. Because of this and the fact that the bar has no proper cloth backing and the medals are in the incorrect order (I think), the general consensus is that this is a put-together-bar.

If this is a put-together-bar there seems little point in keeping it together. But, as a collector, all instincts go against breaking it up. So one last appeal.

Does anyone have access to a list of:
    Saxon Albert Order awardees
    Saxon Order of Merit awardees
    if such lists even exist!

I've contacted the German archives in Berlin, State archives etc but to no avail.

What else can I do?

Otto Körner 9 place Bar.jpg

Korner 9 place r.jpg

Hi,

acc. to the award rolls, 

Koerner, Otto

received the Albert Knight 2nd class with swords as Kriegszahlmeister Feldkriegskasse Etappenkommando 20 17.11.1916

The date for the Order of Merit is unknown to me. that was for sure in the last months of the war as not all awards were published anymore.

Best,

Daniel

Daniel Krause - that is outstanding. Many thanks. This brings me another step closer to proving that this group may be correct. 

Next question is - what is is  "Kriegszahlmeister Feldkriegskasse Etappenkommando 20"?

Edited by JayBuck

1 hour ago, JayBuck said:

Daniel Krause - that is outstanding. Many thanks. This brings me another step closer to proving that this group may be correct. 

Next question is - what is is  "Kriegszahlmeister Feldkriegskasse Etappenkommando 20"?

He was responcible for payment to the soldiers in the field and everything else what the troops needed besides weapons and ammunition. This was not handled by the Kriegszahlmeister. The translation would be purser or paymaster for a military unit. Etappenkommando 20 means he was responcible for the area where the command 20 of the military back area resided. 

Thanks for that clear explanation. I now need to find out the troops in Etappenkommando 20 at that time. This may also explain the presence of the Austro-Hungarian gold Merit Cross with Crown if there were KuK troops under command.