News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

see this https://militariaplaza.nl/holland-dutch-militaria/dutch-ww1-4-piece-medal-bar-detail

"This is a nice Dutch World War 1 Period 4-Piece Medal Bar, consisting of a Dutch Silver Medal in the Order of Orange-Nassau (Orde van Oranje-Nassau),a Long Service Medal for 24 years service and a Dutch Mobilization War Cross 1914-1918 and a German Prussian Centenarmedaille 1897 (officially called: 'Medaille zur Erinnerung an des Hochseligen Kaisers und Königs Wilhelm I., des Großen, Majestät'). All medals are in good used condition. The medals are nicely mounted on a medal-bar for wear on the 'walking-out' tunic. The medal-bar comes on its functional pin/catch set-up. It is very rare to find a combination of Dutch and German medals on one medal-bar. Making it even rarer, this medal-bar comes together with a period photo of the recipient wearing this exact medal-bar. Stunning and rare original set!"24142_1.jpg.57894c5e6db7777e721e50626eb621f3.jpg24142_2.jpg.c20359c7803f760d5a42dcdb806ab5c5.jpg24142_3.jpg.9978a90e4f50a2f7dd92c94572bda9b5.jpg24142_4.jpg.f2eb73988a58ac91bcd84d1d2d3c173f.jpg

anyone having an idea how a dutch was able to get the Centenarmedaille other than start as a german in 1897 and being a dutch citicen in 1914, maybe because of marry a dutch woman and live in netherlands than?

Edited by xxx

This guy would have had to have been either a vet of or on active service with a German unit in 1897 to qualify. You're right that this group is unusual, it's much more common to find German groups with Dutch decorations rather than the other way around.

45 minutes ago, VtwinVince said:

This guy would have had to have been either a vet of or on active service with a German unit in 1897 to qualify. ...

For a veteran of the wars from 1864, 1866 and 1870/71 an appropriate cross or medal is missing.

I am not sure, if there was a possibility for a foreigner to serve in voluntary active duty in the German army.

There is a group of eligible recepients of this medal, sometimes lost out of sight: the attendees of the Berlin centenary celebration in 1897.

The list of the high aristocratical participants Verzeichnis der im März in Berlin anwesend gewesenen Allerhöchsten und Höchsten Fürstlichkeiten nebst Gefolge mentioned under position 36. Königlich Niederländischer Generallieutenant Ihrer Majestät der Königin-Regentin der Niederlande Graf du Moncean and 37. Königlich Niederländischer Kapitän zur See P. Zeegers-Beeckens, Adjutant Ihrer Majestät der Königin-Regentin der Niederlande.

It is quite probable, that our guy belongs to the staff of one of the mentioned dutch members of the 1897 celebrations in Berlin.

Regards, Komtur.

Edited by Komtur

if he was a vet there had been at least a 70/71 medal on the bar. if he was born as a german and became a dutch citizen maybe by marriage I don't know if the army of the netherlands would have accept him as a NCO or officer so he could serve there  for 24 years.

if he came to the netherlands as a mercenary for the royal netherlands east indies army, there were a lot of germans then, he would have medals on the bar showing service in east india.

connections between prussia and the netherlands were very close then, maybe he was a young officer in 1897 study on a war academy in germany?

edit: Komtur, your answer came when I was writing.

yes, makes sence, he was there as a young man in the staff of someone high ranking and got it simply by being there.

Edited by xxx

The recipiënt was originally German born and served in the German Army when the Centenarmedal was issued. He got no other German award.

He voluntary joined the KNIL  (Royal Dutch Indies Army) and served long enough to get a silver long service medal for 24 years of service (12 years in the Dutch East Indies, as the years counted double there).

He served during WW1 and got the Dutch Mobilisation Cross. This cross was issued in 1926.

Furthermore he got a Silver medal belonging to the Order of Orange-Nassau. It is an award in the civilian division which is odd.

In the picture he wears a KNIL 1st time rifle sharpshooters badge at the right side of his medal group.

Regards 

Herman 

Edited by Herman

Hello Herman

do you know this lot or is it only from "reading" the complete awards as a whole?

thank your for your input, I don't know anything about dutch awards but was thinking that serving for a time in the colony's would bring a special medal showing you were in overseas. maybe like the french Medaille d'Outre Mer.

looks like the netherlands were very cheap with such medals then.

I know that citizenship was different in 1914 from what it is today but was serving in the KNIL something that was bringing you rights? maybe like serving in the french foreign legion bring you the citicenship of france today?

I don't know this group. I just read the medals.

The Dutch colonial campaign medal is called the Kruis voor Krijgsverrichtingen and is given with a campaign clasp.  As this medal is not in the group, he didn't qualify for it.

The KNIL accepted all European citizens in their army. A lot of them stayed in Netherlands East Indies or went living in the Netherlands.  I do not know if they received Dutch citizinship automatically.

Regards

Herman 

thanks

you don't find the KNIL mentioned very often in old german sources but it seems the main difference to the french foreign legion was you go there when you want to flee  from something but you go to the KNIL for the excellent payment there.

I assume this man was a german NCO in 1897 and was seeing a chance for him and what he had learned  in the KNIL. The foreign legion was allways described as having a german NCO corps, maybe similar in the east indies.

Edited by xxx