News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello!
    This is a bigger ribbon bar one of my friends has, which I hope is able to be tracked down or get some more clues about by someone in this forum by any chance. 
    As far as I know, this bar most likely belonged to a long serving Bavarian officer (most likely a doctor or maybe a priest). The third ribbon from the right is the 1870 commerative medal, so this guy definitly served from 1870 into ww1. His medals are also interesting, as he has an order from Mecklenburg-Schwerin, unusual for a Bavarian.
    I sadly don‘t have any access to the Ranglisten from back then, but maybe someone here has! 
    If you have any input, please comment.
    Regards

EC365603-81FB-43AA-99E6-0B31C7B012B0.jpeg

C52C8033-F6D5-4A09-8F78-A1F0A9A1B5C8.jpeg

Hi,

how can you tell it's an 1870 commemorative medal and not 1935 honor cross? There appears to be the centenary medal at the very end - that would perhaps mark his start date around 1897. I can imagine a long service cross for 24 years next to it...

Just asking and trying to learn as i'm no expert on these 🍺

Edited by avadski

2 hours ago, avadski said:

Hi,

how can you tell it's an 1870 commemorative medal and not 1935 honor cross? There appears to be the centenary medal at the very end - that would perhaps mark his start date around 1897. I can imagine a long service cross for 24 years next to it...

Just asking and trying to learn as i'm no expert on these 🍺

Hello,

The style was demolished 1915 and you never see it on post 1918 pictures. So this bar, being 1917 I think, isn‘t even correct. Also, as an higher officer serving from 1898 onwards, not a lot got the FEK. His ww1 medals are also mostly commemorative.

Regards 

Edited by Jstrom

It's a nice bar to a long serving officer, and is not from the 1870 period. I agree that the ribbon is that of the FEK, and that would date this Feldschnalle after 1934. It is an 'old-fashioned' bar for this period, but the Bavarians were an iconoclastic bunch.

As beneficial as standing desks may be, I don’t think it’ll be helpful in this case…

I do have to note the lack of an EK2 on the bar despite being awarded the BMVO4X. 
    In all fairness to Vince, an argument could be made for both sides as to whether or not it is the FEK or the 1870 Denkmünze.

It should be remembered that the denkmünze in steel was awarded to those whose severed a minimum of two weeks in the army at home or didn’t see front line service. 

My apologies for not giving to much to add in this discussion and search

I hid the standing desk post as it appears to be spam.

The bar is post-1916. as the König-Ludwig-Kreuz was first awarded that year.

I agree that the lack of an Iron Cross is an issue if it were a WW1-combatant bar. It is most likely a retired officer who was an 1870-71 veteran recalled for service in the Heimat in WW1. Possible service in the 21.IR and/or 8.IR to explain the Mecklenburg and Baden orders. The Großherzog of Baden became Chef of 8.IR in 1896.

It's possible the MVO ribbon is wrong, and should be the peacetime version.