News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello,

Here is a grouping i just collected from the postal office.This small grouping is obtained directly from the veterans family.

More to follow => detailed information, for certain a novum for my humble collection as i never tought (and cerainly never trusted a Kurland cufftitle as offered on most dealers webpages) i would own a Kurland. But hey => here it is alive and well and i am the first one to have it after the person who received it :catjava::catjava:

Needles to say => me very happy :love:

Cordial greetings,

ps: more to follow (can take a while)

Hello,

And here we have the center piece => crude but lovely at the very same time :cheeky:

The award date (as entered in the WP was 20.04.1945). This cuff. was folded all the time in the inside of teh Wehrpass.

Cordial greetings,

How lucky you are for coming across such a nice set! :beer: I wish more of those would pop up here in Western Canada! Alas, not much chance, but it is nice to see a complete piece of history like this set. The Kurland Cuff Title is excellent!

Pat

Hello,

Thank you both fine gentlemen for the reactions => i also like it very much and i do propose to learn who this recipient was, etc ... and lets kick off with the picture as found in his Wehrpass.

We do see our Oberfeldwebel in full award dress and look how nicely the war merit cross does shine on his breast besides the Infantery Assault badge.

More to follow ...

Cordial greetings,

Hello,

This person did earn the following awards during his wartime periode :

Here we have his units => as we can see he was a proffesional soldier and volunteered in 1934 + did go through the complete war as started against Poland in 1939.

More to follow ... ;)

Cordial greetings,

Hello,

And as we can see, he did manage to survive the war and went into battle on : 01.09.1939 and did make it through untill 08.05.1945 (where he went into captivity according towards his family => i do doubt this date as he should have been only less then 3 months in Russian captivity, and knowing the Russians they rather had the use of keeping these POW a bit longer. I think he might have been able somehow to escape captivity and make it back towards Germany.)

He went through:

1) Poland (1939)

2) France (1940)

3) Russia (1941-1945)

Here is his first page with battleentry's. (all help in deciphering is offcoarse very welcome :blush: )

Cordial greetings,

Agreed! Splendid grouping! What cannot make out what other awards he received. Can you please list them? That Kurland title is something special. Did this grouping come from the veteran himself or from his family member?

Paul

Hello,

Here are some more battle pages ;)

@ this grouping comes directly from his direct family (you have to search into the son, daughter region ;)), they have no interets at all in this stuff. and i was lucky to know a few veterans in there area who have known the soldier. Thats how i ended up with these persons etc ... and finally the grouping did make it into my collection (took me over a year).

Hint: the good lookers will see the relation of how i ended up with these persons, there is clear tip on the show pages ;)

He earned a total of 7 awards (alle entered in the WP !!!) => only 2 of these survived untill these days (being the KVK & class and the Kurland cuff) , so stay tuned ;)

Cordial greetings,

Awesome! I have not seen too many documented cases of enlisted personel(especially Infantry) being awarded the KVK1!!! Thanks for sharing your grouping!

Paul

He earned a total of 7 awards

Mmm, I counted eight based on the recipient's picture posted earlier :

four in the ribbon bar :

EK II

Sudeten Medal

Eastern Front Medal

LS Medal

three on his chest :

IAB

KVK I

Wounded badge

and, not visible in the picture, award no. 8 : the Kurland cuff title ! Or does this not rate as a proper award ??? As Paul suggested earlier, a picture of the listing of the awards in the WP would be a nice addition to this thread :P

Cheers,

Hendrik

Hello,

Thank you noth fine gentlemen, i drink one upon more such discovery's and might each one of you have the same luck one day and find a untouched grouping :beer:

Indeed, indeed counting the Kurland in does make 8, however as he was also a holder of the "Reichssportabz. Bronze" that would make 9 :cheeky: (sad thing for me is that i do not have a award date for this one).

Well here is another entry ;)

Cordial greetings,

... the ribbon bar :

EK II

Sudeten Medal

Eastern Front Medal

LS Medal

Gents,

Apologies ! I notice I made a mistake :o:speechless::banger::speechless1: in the identification of the ribbons in the picture : no. 2 is not the Sudeten medal but the KVK II with swords ! As per the 1941 entry in the Wehrpass.

Cheers,

Hendrik

I thought i was a better man, but I am jealous. I hope to see more complete groupings like this, and they tell the whole story so well. Again, kudos on a great find, and to see documentation like this with the hardware is something else...

Pat

Hello,

@ Hendrik: indeed => but it is a good sign you have found the small mistake, no problem offcoarse at all :beer:

@ Avitas: each collector has its portion of luck for sure, so i am certain and i do hope you might be lucky also in the future.

Thank you both for the comments.

ps: hendrik, you might see this small grouping pop-up one day at a SKF meeting in the form of eitehr a presenatation or a article ;)

And as we can see, he did manage to survive the war and went into battle on : 01.09.1939 and did make it through untill 08.05.1945 (where he went into captivity according towards his family => i do doubt this date as he should have been only less then 3 months in Russian captivity, and knowing the Russians they rather had the use of keeping these POW a bit longer. I think he might have been able somehow to escape captivity and make it back towards Germany.)

That's interesting. Do you know how many children he had?

I ask because I got the following story from a relative whose father was also in the Kurland army: Just before the surrender, a local commander in Kurland decided to let all those with three or more children board their last intact ship and sail across the Baltic sea to Holstein, where they surrendered to the British - and got home quite soon.