News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Detective prefix on British Police LSGC’s.

Some interesting LSGC’s engraved with the prefix Detective.

The first is to a MDP senior officer issued in the 1990’s.

The second is to a DC issued in 2016.

The last to a female Officer who was attached to CID in the Met during the 1950’s. 

4992EE8F-4721-453A-8745-F3CC20D00166.jpeg

F1AAB610-9010-47A5-8C2D-794D33051055.jpeg

ACB8D95C-933A-43E5-A4B8-B00B23D0B3BD.jpeg

Edited by bigjarofwasps

23 hours ago, bigjarofwasps said:

Some interesting LSGC’s engraved with the prefix Detective.

The first is to a MDP senior officer issued in the 1990’s.

The second is to a DC issued in 2016.

The last to a female Officer who was attached to CID in the Met during the 1950’s. 

4992EE8F-4721-453A-8745-F3CC20D00166.jpeg

F1AAB610-9010-47A5-8C2D-794D33051055.jpeg

ACB8D95C-933A-43E5-A4B8-B00B23D0B3BD.jpeg

great post. Thank you. Do you have any idea why the DS is on the medal as 'PS (CID)'. I don't understand this unless its historical or a strange regional variation as I have literally never seen this in the job at all, written down or spoken about. Very strange terminology.

2 hours ago, I_♥_Police said:

great post. Thank you. Do you have any idea why the DS is on the medal as 'PS (CID)'. I don't understand this unless its historical or a strange regional variation as I have literally never seen this in the job at all, written down or spoken about. Very strange terminology.

The story goes, that this medal was issued in the 1950’s, the recipient was a female uniformed officer, who was attached to C.I.D, in an admin role. 

F25529B6-052E-4A36-AE08-9D33216585C7.jpeg

AAA74DD4-597D-4CCD-B6ED-88477AD1516B.jpeg

• 1 year later...

There seem to be occasional occurrences of the 'Det' rank on LSGC medal namings. Not sure if this a newer trend, or just that some forces specified that rank in the requisition for the medal for that detective officer. while other forces simply nominated the rank and not the position.

Similarly, re the SC Faithful Service Medal, I had always thought that a plain 'Constable' level officer just had his name on the medal rim, while any rank senior to that did have the rank included in the naming. Recently I found one which had the rank of 'Const' impressed on the rim- the first I have seen with that rank. I don't know if more of these will now appear or if it is a rare exception to the normal naming standards?

Look forward to hearing anything about changes in naming styles!LINDSAYnamingcombo.thumb.jpg.1c9f3358a0daa0f35408fc60a4484a4e.jpg

9 hours ago, dpk said:

There seem to be occasional occurrences of the 'Det' rank on LSGC medal namings. Not sure if this a newer trend, or just that some forces specified that rank in the requisition for the medal for that detective officer. while other forces simply nominated the rank and not the position.

Similarly, re the SC Faithful Service Medal, I had always thought that a plain 'Constable' level officer just had his name on the medal rim, while any rank senior to that did have the rank included in the naming. Recently I found one which had the rank of 'Const' impressed on the rim- the first I have seen with that rank. I don't know if more of these will now appear or if it is a rare exception to the normal naming standards?

Look forward to hearing anything about changes in naming styles!LINDSAYnamingcombo.thumb.jpg.1c9f3358a0daa0f35408fc60a4484a4e.jpg

That’s certainly a very curious example. Would be interested to learn which effigy it is. 

EIIR 'DEI. GRATIA', it does not have the Birmingham Mint suspender, so almost certainly manufactured by the Royal Mint either prior to 1995 or after 2007. Not sure whether very recent issues are still ex the Royal Mint or by another contracted maker (some say Worcester Medals took on the manufacturing for a period after 2007 but I don't have confirmation).

SCLS LINDSAY Obv Rev whole.jpg

Edited by dpk
    Update with photo

Posted (edited)

The detective prefix, is certainly becoming more common. This one was issued yesterday (4th April 2024) by Essex Constabulary the officer having qualified in August 2023.

(*note is still bears the Queen’s effigy). 

IMG_2103.jpeg

IMG_2106.jpeg

Edited by bigjarofwasps

• 4 weeks later...