News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Unknown Belgian 2nd Class Medal box, can someone identify please?

Shouldn't be there a "L II" (monogram of King Leopold II) on the box?

I have some simular ones with only the "2nd class" (in French, Dutch or both) on it and in most of them have the civil "Labour Decoration, 2nd Class" and the "Civil Decoration, 2nd class" for civil guard/fire brigade inside.

Now Belgium is not known for its strictness when it comes to medals and probably most 2nd class medals could have been sold/awarded in a box like this.

57 minutes ago, VC89 said:

Now Belgium is not known for its strictness when it comes to medals and probably most 2nd class medals could have been sold/awarded in a box like this.

I was wondering if that might be the case. Here's two I recently got; just 1st and 2nd Class in French in the boxes. 

20230327_180904.jpg

20230327_180916.jpg

It seems that for some reason they like to use red for 1st class and blue for 2nd class.

Some other examples:

IMG_4055.thumb.JPG.0b42ad7f5c2eea425fb9d0b348bcebda.JPGIMG_4056.thumb.JPG.72b52353c40c96906d44550282f2ad71.JPGIMG_4057.thumb.JPG.35161f24301d9abb2493f8f1cb293fb5.JPG

IMG_4051.JPG

IMG_4054.JPG

And as I said before, Belgium is not very strict about these things. I don't even think the color of the box is set as a "rule" but rather something they just did.

IMG_4052.JPG

Edited by VC89

On 27/03/2023 at 19:11, Duncan said:

I was wondering if that might be the case. Here's two I recently got; just 1st and 2nd Class in French in the boxes.

Didn't really noticed it before but just in case you don't know it yet: they are not the same medals ... well they are the same medals (jewels) but bacause of the ribbon it is a different one. The first one is the "Civic Medal 1st class for Long Service in the Administration" the second one is the "Civic Medal 2nd class for Acts of Bravery, Devotion and Philantrophy".

31 minutes ago, VC89 said:

Didn't really noticed it before but just in case you don't know it yet: they are not the same medals ... well they are the same medals (jewels) but bacause of the ribbon it is a different one. The first one is the "Civic Medal 1st class for Long Service in the Administration" the second one is the "Civic Medal 2nd class for Acts of Bravery, Devotion and Philantrophy".

Hi, thanks for the information. 

Edited by Duncan

On 28/03/2023 at 03:12, VC89 said:

Shouldn't be there a "L II" (monogram of King Leopold II) on the box?

I have some simular ones with only the "2nd class" (in French, Dutch or both) on it and in most of them have the civil "Labour Decoration, 2nd Class" and the "Civil Decoration, 2nd class" for civil guard/fire brigade inside.

It should be, however for some reasons I have seen the LII medals with French text only only in such boxes

I also have seen cases with Crown and LII underneath as well  a blue case with letters M.O.L.II

I also assume that could be a lot of mix and match of medals and boxes or as you stated 2nd Classes medals could have been sold/awarded in a box like this (2me CLASSE)

Obviously when comes to the lower level Awards

I also suspect because The Order of Leopold II is awarded for civil contributions the boxes for the medals were awarded in boxes similar to the Civic medals

What ever the reason it is fact

Hi Gents,

I was on eBay last night and spotted all these for 15 quid 🤷‍♂️ so I grabbed them.

The blue one looks similar to the ones above.

Are any of the others interesting Gents?

EDA27F33-E6C1-4A58-AC5C-607C66180157.thumb.jpeg.5934fbf854aeda58f7714a796bbe518b.jpeg

4DB4BEA8-725E-47E3-A346-15582FA09DB6.thumb.jpeg.e2dbfee7d812b4c14eac97ea3eb166cb.jpeg

7C547B01-A62E-4B03-B91B-C060D4C70AE7.thumb.jpeg.1f483c1e48bd2488bb8c149eea3cca67.jpeg

BDB9954D-5C69-4EA7-B2F6-29D5BE78D1DF.thumb.jpeg.dab6ef92f8bd3ccbf620b463a37f3a1d.jpeg

Any thoughts welcome Gents,

thanks

tony

Nice boxes and for a good price.

most of them are for different medals

The red one with the text is for the Gold medal of the Order of the Crown

I used to keep some of the Orders that came without a box, especially the Knight Classes

Enjoy them

Here is a Set of decorations and old photos

on eBay Belgium for 40 Euro

You can see the use of boxes as i said in the previous  listing

mpl2.jpg

Edited by Graf

Belgium and it's medals ... 

You can have one medal in many different versions and found in even more different boxes (not including the combinations done later by sellers, collectors, ...)

But I guess that is one of the reasons why we like to collect them 😁

11 hours ago, Graf said:

Nice boxes and for a good price.

most of them are for different medals

The red one with the text is for the Gold medal of the Order of the Crown

I used to keep some of the Orders that came without a box, especially the Knight Classes

Enjoy them

ah thanks, I’d been trawling Google looking for that one, I’d thought perhaps ‘medal of courage’… nowhere near!

cheers both 🍻