News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Show your French minis

Graf

18 minutes ago, oamotme said:

Graf,

I don't think the MM earrings were made from solid miniature pieces, rather they are cast hollow silver items. Perhaps this was done as hollow pieces would be lighter to wear from the earlobe?

Owain

Yes It is possible I have few unusual items from this period I looked close at image with the ear rings and I was able to see hole on the one of the wings Also the quality of the mine miniature from Second Empire is much better

The only question is why the made two sided ear rings

Good morning from London,

This time a French LdH 3rd Class/Commander led group of five with Dutch, Belgian, Japanese and Moroccan awards. Possibly a diplomat. The centre of the Moroccan order reads, "Allah, the Nation, the King".

A nice group but I am not sure if I like the suspension brooch - a bit 'chunky'.

Owain

Miniatures France Morocco Group Obverse.jpg

Miniatures France Morocco Group Reverse.jpg

1 hour ago, oamotme said:

Good morning from London,

This time a French LdH 3rd Class/Commander led group of five with Dutch, Belgian, Japanese and Moroccan awards. Possibly a diplomat. The centre of the Moroccan order reads, "Allah, the Nation, the King".

A nice group but I am not sure if I like the suspension brooch - a bit 'chunky'.

Owain

Miniatures France Morocco Group Obverse.jpg

Miniatures France Morocco Group Reverse.jpg

lovely mini bar Yes the suspension brooch is a bit odd , but is OK Congrats

Graf,

In complete contrasts to your beautiful miniatures I detail another LdH and Order of Merit group. I attach images of General Diallo's miniatures - a very large group! I detail below my notes on the group. Errors/ommissions mea culpa.

Owain

General Jean Alfred Diallo (16 September 1911 - 22 Mai 2006). The group is an excellent representative set of the French award manufacturer Arthus Bertrand and of the medallic heritage of post-independence French West Africa.

Diallo initially saw military service with French Colonial troops during the Second World War. Subsequent to the independence of Senegal in 1960 his military career flourished and he was appointed Commander in Chief and Chief of the General Staff of the Senegalese Army for 10 years. During his career he also commanded the National Gendarmerie from August 1968 to June 1972 and was also Director of Military Justice and Inspector of the Republican Guard. In later life he was appointed Ambassador of Senegal to the Federal Republic of Germany. In old age he retired to France and died at the age of 95 at Versailles outside Paris.

The Republic of Senegal is the westernmost country of the African continent and became a French colony in the 19th century. The country became independent on 20 August 1960 and the first President Leopold Sedar Senghor ruled from 1960 to 1981. Unlike many other African nations the military in Senegal has not intervened in political matters and it receives much of its equipment, support and training from France.

The miniatures are all, it is believed to be, of French manufacture – silver-gilt, silver or bronze and are mounted in three rows of twelve, twelve and eleven miniatures respectively. All of the rosettes are riveted to the ribbons and are not sewn on.

Top Row

1.      Senegal - Grand Cross (1st Class) of the National Order of the Lion.

2.      France - Commander (3rd Class) of the Legion of Honour

3.      Senegal – Grand Cross (1st Class) of the Order of Merit

4.      France - Grand Officer (2nd Class) of the National Order of Merit.

5.      France - Croix de Guerre 1939 1945 – no reverse date

6.      France - Croix de Guerre for Overseas Operations – no reverse date

7.      France – Combatant’s Cross.

8.      Unofficial – European Combatant’s Cross.

9.      France 1939-45 War Medal

10.  France - Indochina Campaign Medal

11.  France - The Rhine and Danube Association Medal

12.  Malta – Grand Cross of the Sovereign Order of St John of Jerusalem & Malta

Middle Row

1.      Ivory Coast - Grand Cross (1st Class) of the National Order

2.      Ethiopia – Grand Cross (1st Class) of the Order of the Star of Ethiopia

3.      Ethiopia – Grand Cross (1st Class) of the Order of Menelik II

4.      Argentina – Grand Cross (1st Class) of the Order of May - Military Merit Division (N.B. the badge is of a pre-1957 type – possibly an error of the French manufacturer.)

5.      Brazil – Grand Officer (2nd Class) of the Order of Diplomatic Merit

6.      Cameroon – Grand Officer (2nd Class) of the Order of Valour

7.      Togo – Grand Officer (2nd Class) of the Order of Mono

8.      Morocco – Grand Officer (2nd Class) of the Order of the Alouite

9.      Tunisia - Grand Officer (2nd Class) of the Order of the Republic, (miniature breast star)

10.  Lebanon – Grand Officer (2nd Class) of the Order of Cedar, (miniature breast star)

11.  Belgium – Grand Officer (2nd Class) of the Order of Leopold I

12.  Luxembourg – Grand Officer (2nd Class) of the Order of the Crown of Luxembourg

Row 3

1.      Austria - Grand Officer (2nd Class) of the Decoration of Merit of Austria

2.      Madagascar - Grand Officer (2nd Class) of the Malagasy National Order

3.      Niger – Grand Officer (2nd Class) of the National Order of the Republic of Niger

4.      Zaire - Grand Officer (2nd Class) of the National Order of the Leopard

5.      Gabon - Grand Officer (2nd Class) of the Order of the Equatorial Star

6.      Dahomey - Commander (3rd Class) of the National Order

7.      Mauritania – Commander (3rd Class) of the National Order of Merit

8.      Malta - Commander (3rd Class) of the Sovereign Order of Saint John of Jerusalem

9.      Benin - Officer (4th Class) of the Order of the Black Star of Benin

10.  France - Colonial Service Medal

11.  France – Ruhr, Rhine and Tyrol Occupation Medal – 2nd Type post 1945

Prior to independence the then Colonel Jean-Alfred Diallo served with the French military and commanded a battalion of the 5th Engineers at Versailles. He returned to Senegal shortly before the political crisis of December 1962 when the Prime Minister Mamadou Dia was accused of an attempted coup d’etat. President Senghor appointed Diallo Chief of the General Staff of the Armed Forces instead of General Fall and whilst Diallo had agreed not to take sides, under pressure from French officers he would give his support to the President. Thirty years later in 1992, General Diallo noted, “Mamadou Dia has never made a coup d'état against Senghor - the history of the coup d'état is pure fabrication”.

le-general-jean-alfred-diallo-en-1968-apres-1962-par-alymana-bathily-1029739 Edit.jpg

Big Group Obverse.jpg

Big Group Reverse.jpg

2 hours ago, oamotme said:

Graf,

In complete contrasts to your beautiful miniatures I detail another LdH and Order of Merit group. I attach images of General Diallo's miniatures - a very large group! I detail below my notes on the group. Errors/ommissions mea culpa.

Owain

General Jean Alfred Diallo (16 September 1911 - 22 Mai 2006). The group is an excellent representative set of the French award manufacturer Arthus Bertrand and of the medallic heritage of post-independence French West Africa.

Diallo initially saw military service with French Colonial troops during the Second World War. Subsequent to the independence of Senegal in 1960 his military career flourished and he was appointed Commander in Chief and Chief of the General Staff of the Senegalese Army for 10 years. During his career he also commanded the National Gendarmerie from August 1968 to June 1972 and was also Director of Military Justice and Inspector of the Republican Guard. In later life he was appointed Ambassador of Senegal to the Federal Republic of Germany. In old age he retired to France and died at the age of 95 at Versailles outside Paris.

The Republic of Senegal is the westernmost country of the African continent and became a French colony in the 19th century. The country became independent on 20 August 1960 and the first President Leopold Sedar Senghor ruled from 1960 to 1981. Unlike many other African nations the military in Senegal has not intervened in political matters and it receives much of its equipment, support and training from France.

The miniatures are all, it is believed to be, of French manufacture – silver-gilt, silver or bronze and are mounted in three rows of twelve, twelve and eleven miniatures respectively. All of the rosettes are riveted to the ribbons and are not sewn on.

Top Row

1.      Senegal - Grand Cross (1st Class) of the National Order of the Lion.

2.      France - Commander (3rd Class) of the Legion of Honour

3.      Senegal – Grand Cross (1st Class) of the Order of Merit

4.      France - Grand Officer (2nd Class) of the National Order of Merit.

5.      France - Croix de Guerre 1939 1945 – no reverse date

6.      France - Croix de Guerre for Overseas Operations – no reverse date

7.      France – Combatant’s Cross.

8.      Unofficial – European Combatant’s Cross.

9.      France 1939-45 War Medal

10.  France - Indochina Campaign Medal

11.  France - The Rhine and Danube Association Medal

12.  Malta – Grand Cross of the Sovereign Order of St John of Jerusalem & Malta

Middle Row

1.      Ivory Coast - Grand Cross (1st Class) of the National Order

2.      Ethiopia – Grand Cross (1st Class) of the Order of the Star of Ethiopia

3.      Ethiopia – Grand Cross (1st Class) of the Order of Menelik II

4.      Argentina – Grand Cross (1st Class) of the Order of May - Military Merit Division (N.B. the badge is of a pre-1957 type – possibly an error of the French manufacturer.)

5.      Brazil – Grand Officer (2nd Class) of the Order of Diplomatic Merit

6.      Cameroon – Grand Officer (2nd Class) of the Order of Valour

7.      Togo – Grand Officer (2nd Class) of the Order of Mono

8.      Morocco – Grand Officer (2nd Class) of the Order of the Alouite

9.      Tunisia - Grand Officer (2nd Class) of the Order of the Republic, (miniature breast star)

10.  Lebanon – Grand Officer (2nd Class) of the Order of Cedar, (miniature breast star)

11.  Belgium – Grand Officer (2nd Class) of the Order of Leopold I

12.  Luxembourg – Grand Officer (2nd Class) of the Order of the Crown of Luxembourg

Row 3

1.      Austria - Grand Officer (2nd Class) of the Decoration of Merit of Austria

2.      Madagascar - Grand Officer (2nd Class) of the Malagasy National Order

3.      Niger – Grand Officer (2nd Class) of the National Order of the Republic of Niger

4.      Zaire - Grand Officer (2nd Class) of the National Order of the Leopard

5.      Gabon - Grand Officer (2nd Class) of the Order of the Equatorial Star

6.      Dahomey - Commander (3rd Class) of the National Order

7.      Mauritania – Commander (3rd Class) of the National Order of Merit

8.      Malta - Commander (3rd Class) of the Sovereign Order of Saint John of Jerusalem

9.      Benin - Officer (4th Class) of the Order of the Black Star of Benin

10.  France - Colonial Service Medal

11.  France – Ruhr, Rhine and Tyrol Occupation Medal – 2nd Type post 1945

Prior to independence the then Colonel Jean-Alfred Diallo served with the French military and commanded a battalion of the 5th Engineers at Versailles. He returned to Senegal shortly before the political crisis of December 1962 when the Prime Minister Mamadou Dia was accused of an attempted coup d’etat. President Senghor appointed Diallo Chief of the General Staff of the Armed Forces instead of General Fall and whilst Diallo had agreed not to take sides, under pressure from French officers he would give his support to the President. Thirty years later in 1992, General Diallo noted, “Mamadou Dia has never made a coup d'état against Senghor - the history of the coup d'état is pure fabrication”.

le-general-jean-alfred-diallo-en-1968-apres-1962-par-alymana-bathily-1029739 Edit.jpg

Big Group Obverse.jpg

Big Group Reverse.jpg

Wow This is very impressive Congrats

7 hours ago, oamotme said:

Graf,

This time a modest group of three - LdH, Medjide (Egypt or Ottoman) & Star of Ethiopia, dating late 19th / early 20th century.

Owain

Ethiopia OSE Trio Obverse.jpg

Ethiopia OSE Trio Reverse.jpg

Vert nice

$_55.JPG

$_55a.JPG

Graf,

The Cornuau miniature is stunning.

Igor,

Lovely group - I wonder what the missing piece was - sadly no idea of knowing.

Owain

Gentlemen,

I attach  two bars purchased  some years ago from South America - there is a LdH but a poor quality one. From my notes:

For a collector one of the joys of the internet is to travel the world from a desk in search of acquisitions for a collection. The two bars of miniatures illustrated here came from an auction house in Uruguay. My delight in being able to obtain the pair was somewhat tempered by the complexity of payment and cost of shipping and indeed by the time the pair arrived the cost of shipping had exceeded the cost of purchase. Notwithstanding the saga of purchase, the pair, totalling fourteen awards, consists of at least ten Grand Cordon or First Class orders. The grade of award is indicated by the small rosette and gilt wings or ‘galon’ upon the ribbon and it is possible that at least three of the remaining four are of a similar high grade of which two appear to be miniature breast stars rather than miniature badges. From the seniority of the awards within the set it may be reasonable to assume that the recipient was possibly a Minister or Ambassador. Sadly there is no award from Uruguay where the miniatures were purchased, nor is more than one award from the lead order on either bar to suggest a source from Chile or Peru.

Group 1 - Peru, China, Sacro Militare Ordine Constantiniano di San Giorgio (Sacred Military Constantinian Order of Saint George – 1st Class, France, Ecuador, Brazil & Sovereign Military Order of Malta (SMOM) - Pro Merito Melitensi (For Merit) – 1st Class Civil. 

Group 2 - Chile, Argentina, Paraguay, Spain, Sovereign Military Order of Malta (SMOM) Supremus Ordo Militaris Hospitalis Sancti Ioannis Hierosolymitani Rhodius et Melitensis (The Sovereign Military Hospitaler Order Of Saint John Of Jersualem, Of Rhodes And Of Malta) – 1st Class, Egypt & Italy.

Enjoy,

Owain

South America Miniatures Bar 1 Obverse.jpg

South America Miniatures Bar 1 Reverse.jpg

South America Miniatures Bar 2 Obverse.jpg

South America Miniatures Bar 2 Reverse.jpg

Edited by oamotme

1 hour ago, oamotme said:

Graf,

The Cornuau miniature is stunning.

Igor,

Lovely group - I wonder what the missing piece was - sadly no idea of knowing.

Owain

Gentlemen,

I attach  two bars purchased  some years ago from South America - there is a LdH but a poor quality one. From my notes:

For a collector one of the joys of the internet is to travel the world from a desk in search of acquisitions for a collection. The two bars of miniatures illustrated here came from an auction house in Uruguay. My delight in being able to obtain the pair was somewhat tempered by the complexity of payment and cost of shipping and indeed by the time the pair arrived the cost of shipping had exceeded the cost of purchase. Notwithstanding the saga of purchase, the pair, totalling fourteen awards, consists of at least ten Grand Cordon or First Class orders. The grade of award is indicated by the small rosette and gilt wings or ‘galon’ upon the ribbon and it is possible that at least three of the remaining four are of a similar high grade of which two appear to be miniature breast stars rather than miniature badges. From the seniority of the awards within the set it may be reasonable to assume that the recipient was possibly a Minister or Ambassador. Sadly there is no award from Uruguay where the miniatures were purchased, nor is more than one award from the lead order on either bar to suggest a source from Chile or Peru.

Group 1 - Peru, China, Sacro Militare Ordine Constantiniano di San Giorgio (Sacred Military Constantinian Order of Saint George – 1st Class, France, Ecuador, Brazil & Sovereign Military Order of Malta (SMOM) - Pro Merito Melitensi (For Merit) – 1st Class Civil. 

Group 2 - Chile, Argentina, Paraguay, Spain, Sovereign Military Order of Malta (SMOM) Supremus Ordo Militaris Hospitalis Sancti Ioannis Hierosolymitani Rhodius et Melitensis (The Sovereign Military Hospitaler Order Of Saint John Of Jersualem, Of Rhodes And Of Malta) – 1st Class, Egypt & Italy.

Enjoy,

Owain

South America Miniatures Bar 1 Obverse.jpg

South America Miniatures Bar 1 Reverse.jpg

South America Miniatures Bar 2 Obverse.jpg

South America Miniatures Bar 2 Reverse.jpg

Superb again

2 hours ago, Igor Ostapenko said:

and I have one 😃  

IMG_2891.png

IMG_2892.png

Hi Igor lovely minis

• 2 months later...
    • 4 weeks later...
    On 06/11/2023 at 04:58, Rob Deacon said:

My wife's grandfather (Maurice Simon.  Belgium National )  according to his MI5/SOE records from the National Archives met with Fluhr during his work with 2 bureau in occupied France/Belgium.

nice

• 1 month later...

Gentlemen,

A recent acquisition from the interwar period. Not the most exciting of groups but I was drawn to it as the medal of Honour is named and dated "F. KISTER 1922". Is there a means of identifying this man? I detail some of my notes below:

·         Ordre du Mérite Sociale - Officer, 2nd Class of the Order of Social Merit

The Order, in three grades, was instituted on 25th October 1936, administered by the Minister of Labour, and acknowledged those who had rendered disinterested services to works or institutions covered by legislation on mutuality, welfare and social insurance. The qualifying periods were as follows - Knight (minimum age of 32 years) – five years of service, Officer – a minimum of eight years in the rank of Knight and Commander a minimum of five years in the rank of Officer. The Order along with many others was replaced by the National Order of Merit on 3 December 1963.

·         Médaille d’Honneur du Ministère du Commerce et de l’Industrie - The Medal of Honor of the Ministry of Commerce and Industry (2nd Type)

The medal, in four grades, was instituted on 16th July 1886. It was a labor medal which initially had four levels and rewarded continuous service within an establishment - Bronze 30 years, Silver 40 years, Gilt 50 years and Gold 60 year.  Individuals working in an overseas territory benefited from a reduction in seniority of 10 years. The medal could also be awarded those who rendered exceptional service to industry, in particular new manufacturing processes, without the length of service conditions. In 1893 the award was limited to that of a Silver Medal only and for service of 30 years in France or 20 years in Algeria.  In 1913 the Gilt Medal was reintroduced for service of 50 years in France or 40 years in Algeria. The scope of service included employment in industrial and commercial establishments, public or private technical education establishments, museums and national palaces, state factories, chambers of commerce, municipal and departmental establishments.  This award ceased with the institution on 15th May 1948 of the Medal of Honor for Labor.

·         Médaille d’Honneur de la Ministere du Travail et de la Prevoyance Sociale – 1st Class Medal of Honour of the Ministry of Labour and Social Providence

This three class award was instituted by the Decrees of 26th and 30th March, 1852 as the “Médaille des Sociétés de Secours Mutuels” (Medal of the Societies of Mutual Assistance). It was that it was authorised for public wear as the “Médaille d' Honneur de la Mutualité” (Medal of Honour of Mutuality) by a Decree of 1st April, 1898. The medal recognises exceptional service by the officials and members of such societies which in the period before government support for the unemployed and sick, these societies were of great importance in alleviating dire hardship. Over the years there have been various types of this Medal.

·         Médaille d’Honneur de l’Éducation Physique - Medal of Honor for Physical Education

The medal, in three grades, was established on 4th May 1929 to reward service rendered in physical education, sports and preparation for military service. In 1946 the award was replaced by the Medal of Physical Education and Sports which recognised service as follows - Bronze medal 8 years, Silver medal 13 years and the Gold medal 16 years. This medal was in turn replaced in 1956 by the Medal of Honor for Youth and Sports (one class) and the Order of Sports Merit (3 classes). With the institution of the Order of Sports Merit was established, holders of the Physical Education and Sports Medal were reclassified as follows - Bronze Medal - the Medal of Honor for Youth and Sports; Silver Medal - Knight of Sports Merit and Gold Medal - Officer of Sports Merit. The Order along with many others was replaced by the National Order of Merit on 3 December 1963.

·         Médaille Civile – Civil Medal (Is this French or Swiss?)

Obverse – an eight-sided medal bearing upon a radiant background various items symbolic of society: a flag – patriotism, cross – medicine (or Switzerland?), branches – nature, masks – art, lyre - music, pen, ink pot and a book – literature, microscope – science, toothed wheel – industry and a dumbbell – sport. On the left and right upper rim of the medal the inscription “Medaille Civile” (Civil Medal).

The circumstances of the institution and award of this medal are unknown.

Kister Miniature Group Obverse.jpg

Kister Miniature Group Reverse.jpg

• 1 month later...
    On 01/02/2024 at 20:01, oamotme said:

Gentlemen,

I attach an image of the full size fifth miniature - any ideas as to what it is?

Is there any way to identfy F. Kister?

Regards,

Owain

Medaille Civile Obverse.jpg

nice