News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Oberstleutnant Carl Graf von Schlieffen (does anyone read French?)

Gentlemen, Carl Philipp August Graf von Schlieffen (1798–1845), the 2nd commander of the Garde-Unter-Officier-Compagnie, died relatively young in 1845 in Vives-Eaux near Melun, France, but I just cannot find out how. I found a French newspaper article (third column), but my Gymnasium French has long gone been forgotten. Does one of you Gentlemen read French? If yes, does the article in any way report why Graf von Schlieffen was in France and how he died? Maybe an accident? Thank you! Here are the decorations I have for him:

Iron Cross (1813), 2nd Class

Prussian War Commemorative Medal for the Wars of Liberation (Kriegsdenkmünze für die Befreiungskriege)

Order of Saint Vladimir, 4th Class (RW4)

Imperial Russian Sankt-Stanislaus-Orden, III. Class (RSt3)

Russian Order of Saint Anna (Sankt-Annen-Orden), 2nd Class (RA2)

Prussian Long Service Cross for 25 years (Königlich Preußisches Dienstauszeichnungskreuz; DA)

Imperial Russian Sankt-Stanislaus-Orden, II. Class (RSt2)

Royal Hanoverian Guelphic Order, Knight's Cross (HG3)

Knight (Ritter; Rr) of the Johanniter-Orden

Red Eagle Order (Roter Adlerorden), 4th Class (PRAO4/PrA4)

Russian Order of Saint Anna (Sankt-Annen-Orden), 2nd Class with Diamonds (RA2mBr)

Royal Hanoverian Guelphic Order, Knight's Cross with Diamonds (HG3mBr)

Württemberg Order of the Crown, Commander (WK2)

Edited by Deutschritter

My French is probably no better than yours, so I'm leaving that part to our francophone friends... but!

35 minutes ago, Deutschritter said:

Knight of Justice (Rechtsritter) of the Johanniter-Orden

Given there was no actual "Balley Brandenburg des Ritterlichen Ordens St. Johannis vom Spital zu Jerusalem" in the 1811 to 1852 time frame, and I have reason to doubt he was knighted as a kid, he probably was simply a knight of the "Königlich Preußischer St. Johanniterorden", a mere merit order awarded by the Prussian king... I guess the Prussian rank lists aren't too clear about that, nor does Nimmergut in his famous OEK reflect clearly those are legally completely separate institutions.

You can simply take a screenshot of the text and paste it into Google Translate. It will give you - at least - a rough idea what it is about. 

As far as I can read, it doesn't answer your questions, but - in a very 'floral' language common of the period - tells that a German (i.e. an enemy) was buried with all honours by the French

Note: I only looked at the last part of the page.

Edited by Great Dane

18 hours ago, Deutschritter said:

About the Johanniterorden (Rechtsritter), I got the information here (Gothaisches Genealogisches Taschenbuch der Gräflichen Häuser, 1922, p. 848).

I'm not familiar with working with the Gotha, but had a closer look now: this v. Schlieffen is listed as an "Rr", simply "Ritter" of the Johanniterorden, while others are given as "RRr", that's "Rechtsritter", or "ERr", "Ehrenritter". I'm intrigued by this level of detail exhibited by the Genealogisches Taschenbuch!