News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Unknown award of Vizeadmiral Walther Franz - Please help

Among the awards of Vizeadmiral Walther Franz, there is an award that I can't decipher.

If I read it correctly, it says: "U. Kreuz (14. 09. 1920)" (or possibly "V. Kreuz"). Seeing the award date, I suspect it might be a Freikorps award.

Franz served as a Battalion-Commander in the Volunteer Regiment Kiel (06 March 1919-30 September 1919).

Does anyone have any idea what this migh be?

Thanks!

Walther Franz (1).jpg

24 minutes ago, elbavaro said:

As he was Prussian I would say it means V(erdienst) Kreuz and it means "Verdienstkreuz Kriegshilfsdienst". It was awarded like the Iron Cross until the mid 1920ies. 

Thank you. That is a very good guess.

I hadn't thought of this award. I know only one other Kriegsmarine admiral that received it (Werner Steffan).

But, since there are no Freikorps awards that fit with the name written, I think what you suggest could very well be the award in question.

As he only served in the Freikorps actions against the Spartacists and the (red) People's Naval Division in Germany in 1919 as Battalion-Commander in the Volunteer Regiment Kiel, there is no Freikorps award that he would have been eligible for as Volunteer Regiment Kiel didn't have any sort of unit award and there was no general award created for Freikorps actions within Germany in 1919.

So, I agree it is likely the Prussian Verdienstkreuz für Kriegshilfe.

17 minutes ago, bolewts58 said:

As he only served in the Freikorps actions against the Spartacists and the (red) People's Naval Division in Germany in 1919 as Battalion-Commander in the Volunteer Regiment Kiel, there is no Freikorps award that he would have been eligible for as Volunteer Regiment Kiel didn't have any sort of unit award and there was no general award created for Freikorps actions within Germany in 1919.

So, I agree it is likely the Prussian Verdienstkreuz für Kriegshilfe.

Thank you for the confirmation.

Edited by Kriegsmarine Admiral