News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Short answer yes.  GMMC, was worn on the "war ribbon" same as the EK II.  There is a picture of a pilot (can't remember his name) the wearing a crown device on the war ribbon, representing the GMMC in the 2d button hole.

Best,

Greg

25 minutes ago, gjw said:

Short answer yes.  GMMC, was worn on the "war ribbon" same as the EK II.  There is a picture of a pilot (can't remember his name) the wearing a crown device on the war ribbon, representing the GMMC in the 2d button hole.

Best,

Greg

Greg, I think you will find that a crown on the war ribbon represented the HOH.

Mike

Edited by Mike Huxley

3 minutes ago, Mike Huxley said:

Greg, I think you will find that a crown on the war ribbon represented the HOH.

Mike

Hey Mike, the crown device was just the crown, no Swords and the pilot was an NCO.

The crown he wore on the ribbon was of course contrary to regulations and unofficial.

Best,

Greg

Edited by gjw

6 minutes ago, gjw said:

Hey Mike, the crown device was just the crown, no Swords and the pilot was an NCO.

The crown he wore on the ribbon was of course contrary to regulations and unofficial.

Best,

Greg

Of course Greg, your right. If it had swords as well, then it would have been the HOH.

However, Rumey also received the PLM on the 10 July 1918 as a then Leutnant and in fact was only 1 of 5 flyers that received both the PLM and the GMMK.

If he was wearing a war ribbon in the buttonhole, the MMC would supercede the EK and be worn with some sort of device, usually swords. In this photo it is clearly not a second war ribbon under the EK. Rumey was a Prussian who served in Jasta 5. Is there a connection between Jasta 5 and another principality?

6 hours ago, VtwinVince said:

If he was wearing a war ribbon in the buttonhole, the MMC would supercede the EK and be worn with some sort of device, usually swords. In this photo it is clearly not a second war ribbon under the EK. Rumey was a Prussian who served in Jasta 5. Is there a connection between Jasta 5 and another principality?

Rumey full list of awards are:-

PLM

GMMK

EK1, EK2

Bavarian MVK 2 with swords

and Pilots Badge.

I suppose that ribbon under the war ribbon could have been for the MVK2, but that would be highly unusual.

It would also help if we knew when that picture of him was taken as he didn't receive the GMMK until May 12 1918 in Jasta 5

Edited by Mike Huxley

18 minutes ago, Mike Huxley said:

Rumey full list of awards are:-

PLM

GMMK

EK1, EK2

Bavarian MVK 2 with swords

and Pilots Badge.

Bavarian MVK 2 with swords? That is new to me and great news! Do you happen to know, if Josef Mai also received this award? Thanks! 

Maybe one of you Gentlemen can help me out: I am looking for a picture of Alter Adler Egloff Max Freiherr von Freyberg-Eisenberg-Allmendingen in uniform. He was with the Fliegertruppe in WWI. What is so strange, the Reichswehr Ranglisten have neither an observer badge nor a pilots badge (Erinnerungsabzeichen) for him, although he was an Alter Adler. I would very much like to see one on his uniform. Thanks!!! 

• 2 weeks later...
    On 05/10/2023 at 20:42, Deutschritter said:

What is so strange, the Reichswehr Ranglisten have neither an observer badge nor a pilots badge (Erinnerungsabzeichen) for him, although he was an Alter Adler. 

I take that back, I finally found proof of his Aviator Commemorative Badge in the Reichswehr Rangliste of 1927, p. 134.

22 minutes ago, Deutschritter said:

I take that back, I finally found proof of his Aviator Commemorative Badge in the Reichswehr Rangliste of 1927, p. 134.

Great research work. It goes to prove that is you dig deep into reference material that you can possible find the answers you are looking for.

In fact I find this side of collecting the most rewarding.

Mike