News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Austro-Hungarian Medal Paperwork

Rich

I have a bundle the Soldbuch/Wehrpass and commemorative medal applications and award certificates relating to a former Austrian soldier of the 175th and 343rd Infantry regiments, who subsequently settled in Germany. Thought this original correspondence that came with the Legitimation certificate for the Hungarian WW1 Commemorative Medal might prove of interest. I've seen the pink receipt before, but not the other paperwork that came with it. I'm not a native speaker so excuse any mistranslation. He also successfully. applied for the Austrian and German medals, which might explain why the booklet he sent off to verify his claims is in such poor condition after all that time in the post, with civil servants leafing through it.

Legitimation Certificate no 268935, dated 28.4.37

Hungarian Medal Document:

Very honoured comrade!

I have the honour to inform you that His Serene Highness, the Imperial Administrator of Hungary, has awarded you the Hungarian War Remembrance Medal. I am sending you the medal and the authorization (certificate) that entitles you to wear it with the sincere wish that you will be able to wear it for a long time in loyalty to Hungary and in good health.

In order to counteract various doubts that may still be harboured, we hereby announce that holders of the German World War Cross of Honour are permitted to wear this medal without authorization.

With comradely respect and Hungarian greetings, von Farkas, Colonel a. D.

Small paper insert also with the Hungarian Medal Document:

In response to general and repeated requests, certificates in artistic execution will be produced for the award of the Hungarian War Remembrance Medal. Every holder of the Hungarian Kr.-Er.-Med. has the right to purchase one from me for 1 Reichsmark, subject to his legitimation of the Hungarian Kr. Er. medal, which will then be sent back to him with the certificate. Postal check: Berlin No. 137 467. Colonel a. D. by Farkas.

Did they ever produce this 1 mark illustrated medal certificate? 

He also seems to have had a busy war - his list of postings and campaigns (presumably) seem to be pre-printed and glued into his booklet.

20231016_161941.jpg

20231016_164047.jpg

20231016_163951.jpg

20231016_164041~2.jpg

Edited by Rich

I think this states he was awarded the Iron Cross 2nd Class in January 1915, but I cannot make out any other awards - presumably a silver medal for bravery and a Karl Truppenkreuz should also be listed?

If anyone could decipher more I'd appreciate it.

20231016_164032.jpg

Hello Rich,

that’s a lovely set of paperwork to have.

And the translations in your first post are an interesting read and new for me.

I too cannot speak German, I’m getting better at ready the writing but one without the other isn’t so helpful 🤷‍♂️

If I had to guess which is which though…

I think the first entry will be the KTK.

then the EK next

then the third entry is for the bravery medal

hopefully one of our helpful German speakers will spot your document and help us out (correcting me most likely 😊)

cheers

tony 🍻

14 hours ago, Farkas said:

Hello Rich,

that’s a lovely set of paperwork to have.

And the translations in your first post are an interesting read and new for me.

I too cannot speak German, I’m getting better at ready the writing but one without the other isn’t so helpful 🤷‍♂️

If I had to guess which is which though…

I think the first entry will be the KTK.

then the EK next

then the third entry is for the bravery medal

hopefully one of our helpful German speakers will spot your document and help us out (correcting me most likely 😊)

cheers

tony 🍻

Nice

Thank you, Tony - I usually buy British medals but I do like the ephemera that comes with other nations' WW1 awards because, with their medals being unnamed, it is the only tangible link to these men. I saw this set for sale and so just had to buy it.

I think you might be right, Christian thank you.  I could not see the wood for the trees - I think I got swept up with the Austrian medal application angle and neglected the obvious - the front of his Militarpass does indeed look German! 

I've also got his discharge letter but I cannot decipher much of it; does this provide any more information about his wartime service? 

Cheers

Richard

20231016_163913.jpg

20231016_155659.jpg

Edited by Rich

5 hours ago, Christian1962 said:

As far as I can see and read, there is no connection to the WW1 Austro-Hungarian Army. No part of the former k.(u.)k. Army had an IR 175 or 343.

Therefore no entry for an Austrian decoration.

Regards

Christian

… good point Christian 🙃

And the main reasons why I purchased the lot, the certificates for his German and Austrian WW1 medals. The first is commonplace, the later not so much. If he had an Iron Cross certificate our Ausweis paperwork (to which I think it shows entitlement in his book pictured above) it would have been more complete. I do wonder whether he also applied for the Bulgarian WW1 medal too; but the set was otherwise so complete I'd have been sure that material would have been kept too.

PS - now we have found out he was German, perhaps we need to move this to the German section?

20231016_155904.jpg

20231016_155943.jpg

Edited by Rich

3 hours ago, Rich said:

because, with their medals being unnamed, it is the only tangible link to these men. I saw this set for sale and so just had to buy it.

I share your sentiment, that’s why i love the Karl Truppen Kreuz, unnamed but every one earned by someone, someone out there has my Grandfathers but without his name.

Before you move over to the other forum can I add this, although you may already know it from the paperwork…

79FAE588-5993-4729-B36F-3477658D4BC8.thumb.jpeg.f7d5379a560737ba58ee073c0562d48f.jpeg

That says Regenwalde, which is/was a place in Germany.

& I think the prefix is LIR.

2AECC81E-FA7B-4AF8-826E-8B013679C17F.thumb.jpeg.5353366eb9425c66c9537b1ac14f7dc5.jpeg
    This,👆,  I thought it said LuftInfanterie but it seems more likely it says…

LehrInfanterie Truppenteil.

- Lehr meaning teaching (or similar)

- truppenteil meaning unit

So much info to take in so that may be nothing new and as my previous effort shows… don’t take my word for it!

keep us posted 👍

tony  🍻

10 hours ago, Rich said:

Thank you, Tony - I usually buy British medals but I do like the ephemera that comes with other nations' WW1 awards because, with their medals being unnamed, it is the only tangible link to these men. I saw this set for sale and so just had to buy it.

I think you might be right, Christian thank you.  I could not see the wood for the trees - I think I got swept up with the Austrian medal application angle and neglected the obvious - the front of his Militarpass does indeed look German! 

I've also got his discharge letter but I cannot decipher much of it; does this provide any more information about his wartime service? 

Cheers

Richard

20231016_155659.jpg

This paper is just a discharge certificate from the Reserve-Lazarett in Burg and says that Semrau is sent back to his Ersatz-Truppenteil. He is fit for garrison service and two times vaccinated. No entry about any military service.

Regards

Christian

20 hours ago, Farkas said:

I share your sentiment, that’s why i love the Karl Truppen Kreuz, unnamed but every one earned by someone, someone out there has my Grandfathers but without his name.

Before you move over to the other forum can I add this, although you may already know it from the paperwork…

79FAE588-5993-4729-B36F-3477658D4BC8.thumb.jpeg.f7d5379a560737ba58ee073c0562d48f.jpeg

That says Regenwalde, which is/was a place in Germany.

& I think the prefix is LIR.

2AECC81E-FA7B-4AF8-826E-8B013679C17F.thumb.jpeg.5353366eb9425c66c9537b1ac14f7dc5.jpeg
    This,👆,  I thought it said LuftInfanterie but it seems more likely it says…

LehrInfanterie Truppenteil.

- Lehr meaning teaching (or similar)

- truppenteil meaning unit

So much info to take in so that may be nothing new and as my previous effort shows… don’t take my word for it!

keep us posted 👍

tony  🍻

Thanks Tony for taking the time to have a look. I shall have a look in more detail when I get time. It's learning the script and the military jargon that's difficult, especially when not a native speaker. 

13 hours ago, Christian1962 said:

This paper is just a discharge certificate from the Reserve-Lazarett in Burg and says that Semrau is sent back to his Ersatz-Truppenteil. He is fit for garrison service and two times vaccinated. No entry about any military service.

Regards

Christian

Thank you, Christian. Much appreciated.

Hi Rich…

4CAD8B80-A74F-4D0C-84F1-99038DE9BCBB.thumb.jpeg.14e63b89babf2740f2ff23f6406e483a.jpeg

175 Infantry Regiment
    36 Division

69 Infantry Brigade

The reserve battalion of the I.R.175 was transferred and became the 3rd battalion of the newly formed I.R.343 in 1915.

343 Infantry Regiment

172 Infantry Brigade

86   Infantry Division 

that move fits your guy…

tony 🍻

PS

and I use this 👇  all the time 👍

11F0BAF3-7DCD-41EE-8C23-05F9CF1434DE.thumb.jpeg.6ae4c1e86afda1db0d68afcbeafad38a.jpeg

Thanks for the information Tony. That would make sense. It seems he had a very busy war looking at all those battles and time in the trenches.

Yes, that German 'copperplate' script is useful. Someone shared similar with me a few weeks ago on the site when I was trying to decipher some handwritten Iron Cross documents. I will save that example as it has upper and lower case together!

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Rich

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tony

Yes, I was really impressed with the information that they were able to provide - I couldn't even read half of the entries in the book. I know to look for 'G.G.' and a date as it equates to the 'GSW' found on British records for bullet wounds.

Richard

Edited by Rich