News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Please help convert an Islamic calendar award date

Kriegsmarine Admiral

7 minutes ago, demir said:

Hi,

It is July 7, 1915

Thank you Demir.

That is the conversion from the Hijri calendar to the Gregorian calendar, correct?

But wasn't the Ottoman Empire using the Rumi calendar, which was realigned to the Gregorian calendar in February 1917?

Or were the award documents still issued using the Hijri calendar?

Because this date correspond to 24 August 1917 in the Rumi calendar, if the converter I used is correct.

• 2 weeks later...
    On 21/10/2023 at 20:48, Kriegsmarine Admiral said:

But wasn't the Ottoman Empire using the Rumi calendar, which was realigned to the Gregorian calendar in February 1917?

I am a bit reluctant to comment as this is new to me however after some head scratching and note making I would say that the calendar system introduced and in use from February 1917 was the realigned Rumi calendar 

Thus, after February 15, 1332 AH (February 1917 AD), the next day instead of being February 16 suddenly became March 1, 1333 AH (March 1, 1917 AD).[4] The year 1333 AH (1917 AD) was made into a year with only ten months, running from March 1 to December 31. 

and that the ‘realigned’ Rumi was the system used by the bureaucracy/officials before the old system reached 1917…

Respectfully I would go with 24 August 1917.

cheers

tony

On 05/11/2023 at 12:52, Kriegsmarine Admiral said:

Thank you for sharing your opinion. But I will trust Demir because he is an expert on Ottoman awards and anything else associated with them.

Of course the sober me would have known better than to stick my nose in!

It was an interesting subject to have a read up on however, the changing of a countries calendar system and not just once.

Cheers both

tony 🍻