News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1870 class 2 godet type

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/ddebsg5qwstfaoievnyqb/h?rlkey=60fiz3hqrgq6fhmvqaiaw9xcx&dl=0

Good morning, firstly thank you for having me on your forum and hopefully you’ll be able to help. 
    I’m located in the South East of England, I’ve always had an interest in history especially WW2 as with residing in hell fire corner our history is rich. 
    Last year, at one of our local auction houses I purchased a bundle of medals and pin badges alike I’ve not had before. I can’t lie they’ve sat in the draw and have occasionally had them out looking and researching. To my little knowledge I believe this is the most interesting and valuable although prices vary I’m lead to believe the godet type is the less common maker making it a little more rarer. 

what are your guys thoughts? 

many thanks 

IMG_4297.jpeg

IMG_4295.jpeg

Photos 

IMG_4294.jpeg

IMG_4293.jpeg

IMG_4292.jpeg

IMG_4291.jpeg

IMG_4290.jpeg

IMG_4289.jpeg

Welcome to the forum Robbie. What you have there is an honest-to-goodness 1870 Iron Cross Second Class IMO. A well-struck example so a nice find. But I can see nothing to suggest that it may have been produced by Godet. In fact, it has an iron core typical of those produced by Wagner of Berlin and displays none of the characteristics of an original Godet core. Both makers are generally accepted to have been among the best of the period but Godet seems to have acquired a certain cache among collectors & dealers.    

Edited by Peter Cornwell

• 2 weeks later...

Early awarded style 1870 cores were all cast at the Berlin foundry until it's closing

in 1873.  There is no way to tell the difference between 2nd class crosses assembled

by Wagner, Godet or LL.