News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Medal of the Orde van Oranje-Nassau

Does it exists any lists over recipients of the medal of the Oranje-Nassau order?

I wonder if Nils Gunnar Teodor Holmström from Sweden received the medal? Is there any possibility to look that up?

Very few Swedish sources lists medals. 

I believe it is a gold (gilt) medal according to this pic:

image.thumb.png.c0d221f91409014d6b369e43efa254e3.pngimage.thumb.png.ed64170af3e451491321809244a1810f.png

17 minutes ago, Great Dane said:

Unfortunately, no N. G. T. Holmström listed in C. P. Mulders "Dutch Awards conferred on Scandinavians". The book covers the periods 1892-1940 and 1944-1996.

Thank you for your reply but it was not what I was hoping for. 

The search continues....

Does the book list alot of Swedes with this particular medal?

It seems that the book is very difficult to obtain with none available for sale.

The book lists all Swedes (and Danes, Finns, Icelanders and Norwegians - even some Balts) who received any class of a Dutch Order (Lion, Oranje-Nassau, Orange, Crown) including the associated medals, for the periods where they were bestowed on foreigners.

Are the lists complete? I don't know, but Mr. Mulder was usually very thorough in his research.

I think the book (94 pages) was a limited edition publication.

For the Gold grade of the medal you're interested in, the lists contain 33 Swedes (1892-1940) + 69 Swedes (1944-1996).

I definitly need to find a copy of the books!

Would it be possible for you to scan/photo the 69 names 1944-1996 for me?

With that list I think I would be able to ID the medalbar.

I don't have the medalbar in hand yet, but it does look like a gold medal right?

Also, online a database can be found where you can search by name. The site is: www.nationaalarchief.nl and then the link to Kanselarij der Nederlandse Orden (Chancellery of Dutch Orders).

I could only find one Holmstrom: Carl Otto Holmstrom who received a silver medal in the House Order of Orange.

Unfortunately this database is not complete and it lacks the last 30-ish years.

Regards 

Herman  

Great!

Thank you very much!

I am trying to ID this medalbar. 

The Vasa order is bestowed before 1974. 

The Italian star after 1947

The norwegian medal between 1958 and 1991

So I guess the Dutch medal should also be from somewhere 1950-1980.

image.thumb.png.9f601591a2ca3501c9aa58894270457b.png

Ah, so you bought it :)

Amazing, how did you get the name on the guy?

I would guess the Norwegian medal could be related to the incoming state visits 16-18 March 1960 or 8-10 October 1974, or the outgoing ones to Sweden 23-25 April 1959 or 25-27 November 1975. But could also be from the many unofficial royal visits.

5 hours ago, Kvart said:

Ah, so you bought it :)

Amazing, how did you get the name on the guy?

I would guess the Norwegian medal could be related to the incoming state visits 16-18 March 1960 or 8-10 October 1974, or the outgoing ones to Sweden 23-25 April 1959 or 25-27 November 1975. But could also be from the many unofficial royal visits.

I got the name by checking the recipients on the list from Great Dane against the list of recipients of the Italian Star. 

Then checked recipients of the Vasa Order. 

In the Ordenskalender of 1963 the italian order isn't listed at all and in 1969 it is listed as a Italian Merit order. If it had been listed as the correct order it would have been a much faster ID. 

• 3 weeks later...

Here are the big size and miniature bar. 

image.thumb.jpeg.ce7f753d120d326c8e5b1dcb1a261329.jpeg

The miniature Vasa is loose and with its own needle so it can easily be removed and worn alone. 

image.thumb.jpeg.d59c6198c062379bc214971fb2ae236f.jpeg