News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Queen Louise death medal 1898

Hello, I found this medal for the death of Queen Louise of Denmark in 1898. Unfortunately, I could not find further details anywhere. Can you advise me where I could find out who the author of the medal was, how many were minted, etc.? Thank you.

review-removebg-preview.png

I've never seen that before...Hopefully Great Dane will be along soon, very knowledgable chap and webmaster of the Danish medals society. If he doesn't know about this, likely nobody does!

It is an interesting medal, but I can't be of much help.

I have seen this medal and a similar medal (same oval shape, same size and same type of crown) featuring her husband King Christian IX. Whether that one also was a 'death medal', I can't remember.

They are not listed as official medals in any of Lars Stevnsborg's books, but they are very nicely made, unlike many other non-official medals.

I actually have a miniature of this Queen Louise medal - the fact that miniatures exist is another indication that these medals were not just a cheap endeavour.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Gents, 

I found a printed version of this image from 1898.

Queen Louise of Denmark (1898)

Denmark - 1898,

Queen Louise of Denmark.
    In "Le Journal illustré",  

10-16-1898.

The signature looks to me like 

F. Pernile.

7BCE6174-21A4-4F59-AAC3-FFAC6DCAFBAF.thumb.jpeg.4f851cb78114367ef2370616a9ba5cf4.jpeg

However this is not the name on the medal/medallion.. which I believe is Weiner.

9CA750CC-3092-45CF-9E84-4AB17AFD857C.thumb.png.ab9028a3ca3d5bb416335afcbf45964d.png

After some digging I believe the engraver is one of the Wiener brothers, only Jacques was still alive in 1898, albeit in his eighties, so most likely him.

‘JACQUES WIENER (1815–1899) was the oldest of three brothers who were to become famous as medalists. Born in the Rhineland of Hungarian immigrants, he was apprenticed at the age of 13 to his uncle L. Baruch, a fine engraver in his own right. The two signed some earlier medals jointly. At the age of 30 Wiener was the first to conceive the idea of engraving in precise detail the exterior and interior of a monument on the obverse and reverse of a medal. He engraved with great delicacy ten medals of famous Belgian churches. This he followed with a series of 41 medals, issued between 1850 and 1865, illustrating the most famous European buildings. He also engraved the first Belgian stamps, and for many years was head of the government plant issuing these stamps.’

‘Leopold (1823–1891) studied with his older brother Jacques and then became a pupil of David d'Angers in Paris. In 1847 he returned to Belgium and started engraving a series of large historical medals which commemorated contemporary events and became very popular. In 1864 he was appointed first engraver to the Belgian mint, holding the post until his death. He was responsible for all the currency of Leopold II – some 150 pieces. At the same time he continued striking medals. He also had a considerable reputation as a sculptor; several of his monumental works still adorn public places in Belgium.’

‘Charles (1832–1888) was the third and youngest of the Wiener brothers and, perhaps, had the most brilliant career. He studied at Brussels and Paris where he was a student of Oudiné. In 1865 he settled at The Hague as engraver to the king of Holland, but moved to London, where he was assistant engraver at the Royal Mint. He then went to Lisbon as chief engraver of the Portuguese coins. Returning to Brussels in 1867, Charles devoted himself to medals, which he produced in large number, some in conjunction with his brother Jacques. His English pieces have best withstood the test of time. ‘

Given the absence of any record or even image of this piece yet it’s obvious high status from design to production of miniatures I’m inclined to say it wasn’t ever awarded to the masses, perhaps only to a small select group.

A very nice thing…

tony 🍻

Yes, the one you show is an official medal.

But as I mentioned earlier, I once saw the 'twin' medal to the one with Queen Louise. Same size, same crown, same oval shape, but with Christian IX.

So I thought that could also be a Vernon design.

Edited by Great Dane

Hi Gents,

I’m nothing if not annoying, I apologise but please bear with me, I will leave it be after this, 👍

I can see where I think Vernon would fit but to do that I am taking the ‘black’ (impressed?) parts as the letters, is that how you see it?

5BCA9EA7-D756-441C-8D1E-E5731FC0A69E.jpeg.10b9ea4016402b5fbafa994d4751c285.jpeg

Myself I would expect the letters to be raised and therefore show as ‘white’. When I am looking at it like that I see WIENER…

32705FB9-9080-4B54-9773-F687D067C4EA.jpeg.57d55dcbd282a5c8ba3be2d3db14f15e.jpeg

Anyway…. Good luck gents

I’m gonna leave ya to it, 😊

Its a lovely little thing for sure.

tony 🍻

Here's the King C IX jeton Great Dane is referring to - it's identical in size to the Queen Louise jeton. Both are described in Bergsøe, my copy is unfortunately in my cellar, somewhere inside one of many boxes, hiding.

CIX.jpg.e7c37daa126e32c1c0b3a4c18f5e1a93.jpg