News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

So far as I know, no one has sued the N&MP boys. And they have reprinted many things, including things more problematic than H&S. (Though you need to take care, for you may not live long enough for them to fulfill your order -- months and months!)

Didn't realise they had a reputation for being slow. The copy I ordered recently arrived within 3 days ! I must have been lucky.

Didn't realise they had a reputation for being slow. The copy I ordered recently arrived within 3 days ! I must have been lucky.

I think the problem is that for their own reprint publications (as distinct from the things they merely stock from others) they operate as a "print to order" publisher. They keep little stock in hand but merely hold orders until they have enough to cover the bother (and expense) of a print-run. When they do print, they make up a few extras as an over-run and you must have been lucky to catch a title at that moment. I have had orders take up to nine months (and that is with airmail shipping!). Quite a lengthy gestation, and with no communication in the interim.

Yes, I'd be willing to pay for a CDR of this book.

Although I'd be a lot more happy with a new version. Color plates, English language, etc.

Considering the resources members here and elsewhere have I think it's a project that is do-able.

Just my two cents...

Interesting discussion, but again, I caution anyone willing to make a CD that if copyright has been reasserted, then it is piracy. Selling CDS for profit is not "free intellectual usage", as is allowed under the law, even if there is a social benefit.

German army ranklists are one thing-since they were common state property to begin with and there is a very strong, if not definitive arguement that as such the unconditional surrender in 1945 passed all military property rights to the Allies. Just as the Allies had the right to destroy previously German owned weapons, so they can (or can not) assign intellectual property rights. This was one of the sticking points over the BDC transfer-who exactly owned what.

Two men I respect and admire greatly on this Forum have suffered grievously from intellectual theft. The last M.A .article, with Ed's name in 4 point Times font ("thanking him") and using almost verbatim, his descriptions of Iraqi medals, was almost the last straw for me.

Kleitman was Hessenthals' assistant and may well have inherited his property after Hessenthals' death. Either way, a legal search should be done in Germany and the EU, since their intellectual property laws are now merging.

I believe that Kleitman, who died only @ 15 years ago, left part of his estate to the BDOS and some to OMSA.

If that is so, then there are active agents around more than able to assert their legal rights.

A redone H & S, translated and with colour photographs of medals, adding Orders as well as additional information, properly footnoted and acknowledged, should pass copyright muster. But it would be a massive task, as has been pointed out.

Edited by Ulsterman

Everyones point is very well stated. I seem to be in a gray area when it comes to the H&S book. While I think it would be a benefit to the collecting community to have the book on CD I do not want to be run into copyright issues. Also if someone living owns the copyright then it would not be right. For this reason I will not put the H&S book on CD. I really apprecaite everyone's comments and help.

I might add that it does seem that no one has sued N&MP for their reprint of this volume. And, for that matter, no one has sued them for their reprints of a vast range of other for which the copyright is less vague and the market (= profit) is much greater

I might add that it does seem that no one has sued N&MP for their reprint of this volume. And, for that matter, no one has sued them for their reprints of a vast range of other for which the copyright is less vague and the market (= profit) is much greater

Can you give examples of the latter?

I had heard that somebody in China was redoing Angolias' books on CD-they don't care a damn about copyright laws there and even when caught, have a front company that takes the legal hit and has no assets to obtain recompense from.

Dear Paul,

I do not think it is a gray area. The copyrights were transfered and are held by those that currently reprint the original. I would advise to get in contact with them in order to legaly move your project ahead.

I do not think we want chinese circumstances here in the US?

Andreas