News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Soviet Military Long Service Award Set

Hello gents,

I have what I think is a complete set of Soviet Russia Military long service awards (If anyone has the proper names, please correct me). I have the 20, 30, 40, 50, 60,and 70 year versions of the medal. Is this complete? Are any of these more rare than the others, or are they pretty common. I got them all at once and have liked them ever since, cool designs on the medals. Any translations of the medals are great, too.

Thanks,

Pat

First up, the 20 year service medal (1945-1965)..

Next up we have the 40 year CCCp service medal (if I am wrong please correct me). Another nice one I would say, are any of these rarer than others? What is the story with these medals?

Thanks,

Pat

Here is the nicest one, with some enamel work on the star, for the 50 year long service in the military (or commemorating 50 years since the revolution, my Russian is nil). Any info on this set including translations is helpful.

Thanks,

Pat

I would assume this next one was one of the last Soviet awards given out. It is for 70 years of CCCP 1918-1988 and it seems to complete the set. Does anybody else have info on the correct names of these medals and if it is a complete set?

Pat

I love the cosmonaut in the picture, very 80's. This is my last scan of the reverse of the 70 year medal, and I hope someone can help me out.

:cool:

Thank you in advance,

Pat

The back of the 20 year cccp service medal, any translations welcome.

Pat

Hi Pat,

Okay... let's start from the beginning here. This is the medal for the 20th Anniversary of Victory in the Great Patriotic War 1941-1945. It was instituted May 7, 1965 with amendments on August 16, 1966 and January 19, 1968.

It was awarded to all military personnel, civilians, partisans, members of the resistance, who took part in the Great Patriotic War (GPW... ie: WWII) as well as everyone who was awarded the Victory Over Germany medal. It was also awarded to all military personnel of the USSR who were on service on May 9, 1965.

It is made of brass. The reverse has the circular inscription: "20th Anniversary of Victory in the Great Patriotic War 1941-1945". The XX in the center stands for 20 of course.

Now on to the next one. :cheers:

Dan

The reverse of the 30 year Soviet medal..

Okay, this one is the medal for the 30th Anniversary of Victory in the Great Patriotic War 1941-1945. It was instituted April 25, 1975 with an amendment on January 30th 1976. It was awarded to all 20th Anniversary recipients plus to all civilians who worked in the rear during the GPW as well as any civilians who were awarded any of the Defense medals, Victory Over Germany, Victory Over Japan, Valiant Labor during the GPW.

It is made of brass. There are three types:

Type 1 says - To the Participant of War.

Type 2 says - To the Participant of Home Front.

Type 3 has no inscription above the central lettering. This type is believed to have been awarded to foreigners.

Again the XXX stands for 30 years.

The type you have is a Type 1.

Edited by Hauptman

the back of the 40 year Soviet medal...

This one is the medal for the 40th Anniversary of Victory in the GPW. Instituted April 12, 1985. Basically the same requirements as for the other two medals.

Made of brass. There are again three types:

Type 1 - Military - "To the Participant of War"

Type 2 - Labor - "To the Participant of the Labor Front"

Type 3 - Foreign - Again with no inscription above the 40.

The revers of the 50 year Soviet CCCp medal.

Okay, this one is a "Jubilee medal" for the 50th Anniversary of the Armed Forces of the USSR. It was instituted December 26, 1967 with amendments on February 22, 1968 and December 19, 1969.

It was awarded to a whole slew of individuals... I won't go into detail as I'll give you a link to a very good site at the end of all this where you can see examples and learn a great deal about Soviet awards.

It's made of brass. On the reverse the inscription in the center reads "50 Years of the Armed Forces of the USSR.

You don't see many medals with nukes on them! Here is the back of the 60 year CCCp medal. All info is appreciated on this set.

THanks,

Pat

This one is the medal for the 60th Anniversary of the Armed Forces of the USSR. Instituted on January 28th 1978. Again awarded to a whole bunch of folks. It's also made of brass and I believe the reverse inscription is the same as for the 50th.

I love the cosmonaut in the picture, very 80's. This is my last scan of the reverse of the 70 year medal, and I hope someone can help me out.

:cool:

Thank you in advance,

Pat

And last but not least this is the medal for the 70th Anniversary of the Armed Forces of the USSR. Again made of brass and has the same reverse inscription.

Also the "cosmonaut" on the obverse (front) of the medal is actually an air force pilot wearing a helmet as used in Mig jet fighter aircraft.

Here is an excellent site for learning more about Soviet awards (in addition to what you learn here in the club):

http://www.soviet-awards.com/

It is broken down as to each Order or medal, etc. I'd also highly recommend you get yourself a copy of Paul McDaniel's book on Soviet Orders and Medals. I'm working on doing just that myself.

Anyhow hope this helps. :cheers:

Dan

Dan & Ed,

Thank You for helping Pat!! :beer: Pat, I'll echo what Dave & Ed have told you...Get the book. You will find it to be a very valuable source of information. Also visit the website Dave told you about. I'm a member of that forum and have found it very useful and there are many knowledgeable people there willing to help just like Ed and Dave here.

:beer: Doc

Edited by Riley1965

Guest Rick Research

Everybody should have

an Epson scanner (sorry, just couldn't resist another opportunity. Still hoping my shameless pimping will lead to some commissions! :rolleyes: )

the McDaniel and Schmitt book.

We should have their faces enshrined like Marx and Engels as our patron saints. :beer:

The ADDED benefit of The Book, in what I can only wistfully hope was its FIRST (implying...

more more morrrrrrrrrrrrrre please, wherever you two are)

edition is

that it provides wonderful weight training without having to order one of those TV Soloflex contraptions.

Rick,

I agree with you 100%!! :jumping: The PMD book is a must have for everybody. A flat-bed scanner(no commission for me :( ) is important to scan your Orders, Medals and badges to post and for a pictorial record of your collection. I keep a file on my computer with a scan of every ODM I have plus it's backed-up on a CD-ROM (helpful in case of theft or for insurance purposes).

:beer: Doc

Thanks guys,

I have checked out the link to the book and will get my hands on one. I have an Agfa scanner (Epson printer, though) and I scan my images at about 250% the original size at 300 dpi, then alter size and jpeg quality in Photoshop. I too am in the process of making scans of my collection and saving them on hard CD for safekeeping. It is a great way to have a photo record (even if some are fakes!). I hope to get some more Russian stuff soon, what I have posted is most of it, besides a couple items (including an East German Officer's Cap in mint shape!). I will have to get out the digi-camera for that one.

Thanks again Hauptmann and others for the precise, excellent help

Pat

PS feel free to leave more comments on the medals :beer:

Thanks guys,

I have checked out the link to the book and will get my hands on one. I have an Agfa scanner (Epson printer, though) and I scan my images at about 250% the original size at 300 dpi, then alter size and jpeg quality in Photoshop. I too am in the process of making scans of my collection and saving them on hard CD for safekeeping. It is a great way to have a photo record (even if some are fakes!). I hope to get some more Russian stuff soon, what I have posted is most of it, besides a couple items (including an East German Officer's Cap in mint shape!). I will have to get out the digi-camera for that one.

Thanks again Hauptmann and others for the precise, excellent help

Pat

PS feel free to leave more comments on the medals :beer:

Hi Pat,

Again, you're most welcome. Glad I/we can help out. Once you get that book it will open up a whole new world... for both of us as I'm hoping to get mine soon too. As I say I've been at this since the wall fell and studying it as much as I could long before that. And I still feel like a kid who has way too much to learn. My references don't get into many of the variations, types, etc. which McDaniel's book does. It's alot to learn but it's vital for anyone collecting Soviet awards.

Here's hoping we both get our copies very soon! :jumping::jumping::beer:

And I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for any new additions you may post in future. :cheers:

Dan

Edited by Hauptman

• 1 year later...

The back of the 20 year cccp service medal, any translations welcome.

Pat

Hi there, thats an award for the 20th anniversary of victory in wwii; i guess it was given to the veterans anyway you can find information in www.sovietawards.com or if iam wrong www.soviet-awards.com the ones that says 30th and 40th anniversary are also for victory in wwii and in the back it says it was given for combatants, there are othe ones for labor during that time; i have those too :cheers: