News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Good afternoon!

I found the complete career of Oberst v. BASTINELLER here.

However no data on his ODM. I would like to know if there is a chance of finding these out since the Oberst died in 1850.

Hoping for some advise,

David

As of the Rangliste 1850, he was Oberst and Brigadier of the Land-Gendarmerie (7. Brigade. Münster) with RAO4 and DAK. It can be assumed, that he also received the Kriegsdenkmünze für die Befreiungskriege (Preußen). 

Edited by Deutschritter

Hi!

I found a von Bastineller in the army of Westphalia, squadron chief in the light cavalry of the Guard, major in the same regiment (02/06/1810) and colonel of the 2d cuirassiers (04/20/1811). Knight of the Crown of Westphalia (02/05/1810) and knight of the Legion of Honor. (J. Declercq: Histoire des distinctions honorifiques du royaume de Westphalie. Ed. Champs-Elysées - Deauville. Paris 2018.)

I don’t know if he is the same or a member of the same family.

Edited by augustin1813

I would have to guess, no. Ludwig served with the Hesse-Kassel Army, then as of 1806 with the Duchy of Weimar (1806 Kammerjunker, 1811 Kammerherr) and of 1812 with the Prussian cavalry, becoming Major in 1834. Your Bastineller is Carl Gottlob von Bastineller (older brother, b. 1764), Oberst in 1812 and Brigadegeneral in 1813, fighting for the French because the regiment belonged to the Kingdom of Westphalia. Both Carl Gottlob (Flügel-Adjutant) and Ludwig originally served with the Hesse-Kassel Regiment Gens d'Armes. 

Edited by Deutschritter

2 hours ago, Deutschritter said:

As of the Rangliste 1850, he was Oberst and Brigadier of the Land-Gendarmerie (7. Brigade. Münster) with RAO4 and DAK. It can be assumed, that he also received the Kriegsdenkmünze für die Befreiungskriege (Preußen). 

Great, Thanks! Could you provide a link to the source? Would like to add it to my bio on him on my site. 

1 hour ago, augustin1813 said:

Hi!

I found a von Bastineller in the army of Westphalia, squadron chief in the light cavalry of the Guard, major in the same regiment (02/06/1810) and colonel of the 2d cuirassiers (04/20/1811). Knight of the Crown of Westphalia (02/05/1810) and knight of the Legion of Honor.

I don’t know if he is the same or a member of the same family.

That would be his brother. They are both on my site

Yes, of course, David ... keep up the great work! Let me add a couple of things: Gotha 1928 and 1940 both have his birth name as Alexander Christian Ludewig von Bastineller and death place Münster (7. Brigade), which would make sense. Carl Gottlob (1764–1830) as of Gotha. Not Gottlieb and not 1767. Biographisches Handbuch der preußischen Verwaltungs- und Justizbeamten 1740-1806/15 (p. 44) writes, Carl Gottlob tried to enter the Prussian Army, but was refused. Carl Gottlob was also made a Freiherr/Baron of the Kingdom of Westphalia on 13 May 1813, this was although not recognized by Prussia therefore never listed. 

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015004080944&seq=366&q1=Bastineller+&start=1

Screenshot (1739).png

14 hours ago, Deutschritter said:

Yes, of course, David ... keep up the great work! Let me add a couple of things: Gotha 1928 and 1940 both have his birth name as Alexander Christian Ludewig von Bastineller and death place Münster (7. Brigade), which would make sense. Carl Gottlob (1764–1830) as of Gotha. Not Gottlieb and not 1767. Biographisches Handbuch der preußischen Verwaltungs- und Justizbeamten 1740-1806/15 (p. 44) writes, Carl Gottlob tried to enter the Prussian Army, but was refused. Carl Gottlob was also made a Freiherr/Baron of the Kingdom of Westphalia on 13 May 1813, this was although not recognized by Prussia therefore never listed. 

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015004080944&seq=366&q1=Bastineller+&start=1

Screenshot (1739).png

Did you find the additional sources online as well? The Gotha and the Handbuch on verwaltungs- und Justizbeamten?

One more thing, David: I know, Ludewig von Bastineller is often considered commander of the 11. Husaren-Regiment for a short term (Geschichte des 2. Westfälischen-Husaren-Regiments Nr. 11 und seiner Stammtruppen von 1807–1893), but the Rangliste 1835 and 1836 do not show this, they show him in the staff. What happened? August Ferdinand von Glaser was named commander on 1 December 1823 and arrived at regiment headquarters on 6 February 1824. I assume, he fell ill in 1834, he retired with the Charakter als Generalmajor on 14 October 1934. Maybe von Bastineller was delegated with the leadership for a short while in 1834/1835, but even the Rangliste from this year shows Carl Friedrich Freiherr von Forstner (officially as of 4 April 1835) as aggregiert and ad interim Führer des Regiments.  Freiherr von Forstner was officially appointed commander on 30 March 1836. Do you know more about this? Any information would be great. 

I did see on some page there was no commander mentioned and v.B. as etatm. Stabsoffizier.

As my focus lies with the careers of (former) kurhessian officers, I did not look into this.

2 hours ago, Deutschritter said:

The GGT are online as well? Or do you have access to them in a library close to you?