News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Deutscher Turnerbund Gau IX Westfalen badge with referring photo of the owner

Hi gents,

by accident this quite rare badge of the Deutscher Turnerschaft  (German gymnast association) GAU IX Westfalen came to me
    as a part of a photo estate (mainly WW1 Verdun etc).

The privious owner was Fritz Stratmann from Herne, Westfalia.

The badge has a little damage, but more intersting is, that Stratmann was wearing this damaged badge already 1936.
    The photo-detail of him is proofing it. Stratmann is also wearing the armband "Obmann" (=referee).

Since the Deutscher Turnerschaft was integrated in 1936 into the DRL, Stratmann couldn´t wear this badge any longer.

BR Roman
    Sportabzeichen_0003.thumb.jpg.1ef66957bd21989a21b3478691042891.jpg

Sportabzeichen_0001.jpg

Sportabzeichen_0002.jpg

Sportabzeichen_0004.jpg

Hi Roman,

Thank you for sharing this wonderful & rare photo with us 🤩.  You say that Fritz Stratmann is wearing the badge in 1936. Is the photo dated on the reverse to show this? Also, may we see a close up of the round badge that he is wearing on his lapel please?

Thank you again for sharing this picture.  Here is a scan of my badge.

Don

File1446.jpg

File1447.jpg

Posted (edited)

Hi Don,

here is the wished closeup. Indeed the photo is marked with 1936 at its back.
    I assume it a "Kyffhäuser-Bund" badge...nothing extra-ordinary.
    Do you agree to my identification?

BR
    Roman

Stratmann.jpg

Edited by Solomon

Hi Roman,

Thank you for the extra information & photo. Yes a shooting badge from the Deutscher Reichskriegerbund Kyffhäuser (DRKB), the "Große Ehrennadel der Schießauszeichnung".  Indeed this proves to be a doubly rare photo as it is also very unusual to see this badge in wear.  I have often seen the lower grades (bronze, silver & gold) in photos, but not the large honour version 🤩.

Here is my example, unfortunately it has lost most of the gold finish ☹️.

File1213.jpg

Interesting...although I identified it as the Kyffhäuser badge, I didn´t konw, that is was a rare one.

By the way, here is another picture of Stratmann from 1935, wearing Lippe-medalbar, but not the DT badge.

Lippe-Nachlass-Stratmann_1935.jpg

17 hours ago, Solomon said:

Interesting...although I identified it as the Kyffhäuser badge, I didn´t konw, that is was a rare one.

Hi Roman,

The badge itself is quite common, it is seeing it being worn in a picture that is rare.

Another great picture, thank you for sharing it with us.

Don