News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Posted (edited)

In Spain, a medal was created in 1814 called “of military prisoners” that over time also rewarded other circumstances such as being wounded in combat, wounded or injured in peacetime, prisoners of war or relatives of those who died or disappeared in campaign or captivity.
    I am interested in knowing from the current 32 NATO countries if there are similar medals or badges (strips, chevrons or others).

I do have news about some of them, such as Canada, the Czech Republic, Denmark, the United States or Norway, but in any case I am interested in good images (front and back) with a view to making a chapter of a book.

Unfortunately, this Spanish medal disappeared from the award system in 1989, although currently the Cross of Military Merit with a yellow badge serves for this purpose.

Thank you

The spanish medal

msp2.jpg

https://www.coleccionesmilitares.com/medallas/texto/msp.htm

Edited by Antonio Prieto

Sounds like a fascinating project, Antonio.

Off the top of my head, France has the "Insigne des blessés militaires" - instituted 11 Decemeber 1916 as a ribbon only award consisting of a small red star on a white, blue, yellow, and red ribbon. That's only worn until a campaign medal is issued for the campaign in which the wound was received, then the star should be pinned to that ribbon instead. However, unofficial "wound medals" are popular and even tolerated in uniform... and 100 years after it was instituted - 17 August 2016 - the French created a War Wounded Medal using the same ribbon, with the medal being a red-enamelled star in a gold wreath of oak and laurel leaves.

Got a stack of marking to do but I shall ferret around some more... only 31 more countries to go! Or 30, seeing as you have already attended to the Spanish one!

Belgium has several awards for prisoners of war, escapers, and those who got deported, interned, or forced into labour camps during occupation... but no "enemy marksmanship" awards for wounds sustained in combat (there is one for civilians injured by enemy action....).

Come to think of it, the French had a medal for escaped prisoners of war too.

I do have images of most of these, I'll dig out the high quality ones for you to use in your book. (I also have the French escapers' medal somewhere, picked that up when I still collected 'things' rather than information!).

Quck question, Antonio - are you interested in wounded/killed/imprisoned awards in general or just those which are still available for award right now?

A lot of the Belgium stuff is tied specifically to the World Wars.

The interest is only for comparison purposes with the aforementioned Spanish medal that was used for prisoners, wounded, deceased and their families.
    And not so much in past times where several countries did have these medals or badges for the conflicts of the 19th century, but for the current countries that are part of NATO.

These are the first more or less confirmed
    From some countries like Belgium I already have confirmation that they currently DO NOT have this type of award. I'm still searching for others

Albania

No

Alemania

Verwundetenabzeichen

Bélgica

No

Bulgaria

Награден знак "За пострадалите във военен конфликт, мисия и операция"

Canadá

The Sacrifice Medal / Médaille du Sacrifice

República Checa

Medaile Za zranìní

Croacia

Dinamarca

Forsvarets medalje for Sårede i Tjeneste

Forsvarets medalje for Faldne i Tjeneste

Estados Unidos

Purple Heart

Eslovaquia

Eslovenia

España

Cruz del Mérito Militar distintivo amarillo

Estonia

Finlandia

Sotainvalidien ansioristi

Francia

Médaille des blessés de guerre

Grecia

Μετάλλιο Εξόχου Πράξεως

Hungría

Sebesülési Emlékérem

Islandia

No

Italia

Distintivi d’Onore

Letonia

Lituania

Luxemburgo

Insigne de blessé

Macedonia del Norte

Montenegro

Noruega

Forsvarets medalje for falne i strid

Forsvarets medalje for sårede i strid

Países Bajos

Draaginsigne Gewonden

Polonia

Wojskowa odznaka „Za Rany i Kontuzje”

Portugal

Medalha dos feridos en campanha

Reino Unido

Rumania

Suecia

Försvarsmaktens medalj för sårade i strid

Turquía

The UK has the Elizabeth Cross for relatives of those killed in service, but nothing for wounded/captured personnel. They used to issue 'wound stripes' but have not done so for a long time.

Posted (edited)

Sweden: Defence Forces Medal for Wounded in Battle (Försvarsmaktens medalj för sårade i strid). Instituted on 25 March 2011 and awarded in two classes - silver to armed forces personnel injured in combat, gold awarded posthumously to thoe who are killed. The ribbon is red and black - symbolising blood (red) and sadness (black) - the medal's obverse displays a broken sword surrounded by a laurel wreath, and the three crowns of Sweden, the reverse is inscribed FÖR SVERIGE  MED LIVET SOM INSATS.

sweden-wound-medal.jpg.281fb2dcacc64b305337d0699733bb61.jpg

Edited by Megan

Best wishes for your mission.🍻

…just a thought.

If I may be cynical, I suspect issuing medals acknowledging losses during ‘peacetime’ became a political inconvenience.

Many soldiers serving (undeclared) under the NATO umbrella will have lost their lives or health in Ukraine for example.

Politicians will always put themselves before the recognition of the sacrifices of our soldiers and their families.

tony 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🇬🇧

Posted (edited)

Germany no longer issues a "Wound Badge" (Verwundetenabzeichen) - the last was the 1957 "De-Nazification" of Wound Badges issued during WW2 (apart from those awarded during the Spanish Civil War, which were not permitted to be worn in any form!).

Czech Republic: Wound Medal (Medaile Za zranìní), instituted on 16 December 1996.

MedaileZazrann.thumb.jpg.ddb5702866b7a42874c013444602ea79.jpg

Edited by Megan
    Added institution date of the Czech Wound Medal

Thank you

For the german badge I found this notice of 2019

https://dserver.bundestag.de/btd/19/157/1915736.pdf

Google translator say:

Recognizing German soldiers' willingness to make sacrifices - introducing one Wounded badge in the German Bundeswehr
    The Bundestag wants to decide:
    I. The German Bundestag states:
    The soldier's profession is fundamentally different from other professions in our society. Soldiers are obliged to protect their physical and mental integrity, and ultimately their lives, in defense of the Federal Republic to use Germany. For their part, the government and parliament are obliged to do this special operational readiness through comprehensive medical and material support To ensure care if soldiers are wounded or killed. Furthermore, must it will become an obligation for the German Bundestag to prevent injuries and deaths Members of the Bundeswehr should also be given appropriate symbolic recognition.
    Awards and honors are an integral part of military culture Tradition. With military awards, the state and society honor the performance and commitment of their soldiers. Orders, medals and badges also externally recognize military achievements and sacrifices made visible.
    The Bundeswehr has been controlled by the German Bundestag for almost three decades sent on foreign assignments. The ISAF and Resolute Support operations in Afghanistan From 2002 to 2018, for example, 56 German soldiers died and 125 were wounded....

Japanese Military Wounded Soldier Badge

Time Period: WW2
    Institution: From 1938

The Japanese Military Wounded Soldier Badge was issued to both army and navy personnel from about 1938. Also translated as the War Wound Badge, this medal was produced in two varieties.

The gilt senshou badge was awarded for a wound sustained in combat. The silver koushou badge was awarded for a wound sustained in the public service (or in a non-combat situation). It was also often given to a soldier when they contracted a disease like malaria or were poisoned, injured in an equipment accident, etc. 

The Japanese Military Wounded Soldier Badge Design
    The badge measures approximately 31 mm high. The outer edges on the reverse side read Gunjin Shoui Kishou (Soldier Wound Badge).

The badge was awarded in a red pressed cardboard or wooden box with gold or silver lettering and with an accompanying registration card.

IMG-20240519-WA0167.jpg

IMG-20240519-WA0164.jpg

IMG-20240519-WA0162 (1).jpg

IMG-20240519-WA0165 (1).jpg

IMG-20240519-WA0166.jpg

IMG-20240519-WA0162.jpg

IMG-20240519-WA0165.jpg

Poland: Historically had a "wound badge" consisting of a strip of ribbon, blue with 2 black horizontal stripes (colour of the ribbon of the Virtuti Militari) on which small silver stars were placed... this was instituted in 1920 and continued through WW2. It is worn on the left breast above other medals or medal ribbons.

The current Republic spent a long time debating the issue, starting in 2007, but on 19 August 2011 instituted a similar award for military personnel wounded or injured during operations outside the country. This is a strip of ribbon, blue with 2 red horizontal stripes (the colours of the ribbon of the Order of the Military Cross). Precise regulations were left to the Minister of National Defence to determine, which was done on 15 March 2012.

Thank you Megan

Updated chart 

Albania

No

Alemania

Verwundetenabzeichen

Bélgica

No

Bulgaria

Награден знак "За пострадалите във военен конфликт, мисия и операция"

Canadá

The Sacrifice Medal / Médaille du Sacrifice