News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Posted (edited)

My first thought was Navy for this one. I can't imagine that the Bavarian MVO4X and the Lübeck Hanseatic Cross was a terribly common combination.  With that in mind, I went through the 1918 Navy Ranklist and found only two people that had both.  Neither of them were old enough to have been in uniform in time for the Boxer Rebellion, let alone the 1897 Centenary.   #5 is a faded Württemberg Friedrichs Order / Prussian Crown Order blue, which would preclude this bar belonging to an "invisible" senior NCO. 

Anyone have any thoughts?  Am I anywhere close to barking up the right tree?

IMG_4141.JPG

IMG_4143.JPG

Edited by landsknechte

4 minutes ago, Stogieman said:

Good Morning! I think you have a faded Crown Order and Long Service Cross. Did your research show those?

Neither show a long service decoration.  One's missing the Crown Order, the other has a couple of extra decorations not represented on the bar.

middendorf.JPG

vlossow.JPG

28 minutes ago, Daniel Krause said:

Marine-Stabsingenieur Oskar Holzmüller might be worth a look 🙂

Best, 

Daniel 

How do you do this?

Have you made a database with recipients of medals and type in the different awards and it spits out a name or how does it work?

The reason I ask is because I have some plans of a database like that for Swedish medals and orders. 

13 hours ago, Daniel Krause said:

Marine-Stabsingenieur Oskar Holzmüller might be worth a look 🙂

Best, 

Daniel 

Aha!  He must have been awarded the MVO4X after January 1918.  If I'm not mistaken, he was assigned to the SMS Prinzregent Luitpold at that point.

By the way, do you know what might be referred to by the abbreviation RAMc?  It appears in a number of the ranklist entries for him up until 1914, then disappears by 1916.  I couldn't figure that one out, even with the section that explains the abbreviations and the hieroglyphics.  

Posted (edited)
    1 hour ago, landsknechte said:

Aha!  He must have been awarded the MVO4X after January 1918.  If I'm not mistaken, he was assigned to the SMS Prinzregent Luitpold at that point.

By the way, do you know what might be referred to by the abbreviation RAMc?  It appears in a number of the ranklist entries for him up until 1914, then disappears by 1916.  I couldn't figure that one out, even with the section that explains the abbreviations and the hieroglyphics.  

R = Russia

A = St. Anna Order

Ma, Mb, Mc = Medals associated with the order

There aren't many good references on Imperial Russian medals, and the system of the St. Anna Medals was apparently changed shortly before World War I, so I am iffy as to which medals the a, b and c corresponded. There are a couple of threads here on GMIC about them.

Foreign awards were not included in wartime rank lists.

Edited by Dave Danner