News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Some new additions to my collection

Good morning everyone,
    I haven't been very active lately, but always looking for new pieces.
    I recently managed to get these two commemorative medals from the 1898 jubilee, bronze and silver class, both on the military ribbon with the correct bar with the years 1848-1898.

With these there are two out of four, now only the ones on straight ribbon for civilians are missing, not counting the gold ones.

The hunt continues

Regards

Carlo

IMG_20240601_201745.jpg

IMG_20240601_201828.jpg

IMG_20240601_201755.jpg

IMG_20240601_201835.jpg

Screenshot_2024-06-01-20-20-22-021_com.instagram.android.jpg

Screenshot_2024-06-01-20-20-14-837_com.instagram.android.jpg

IMG_20240601_201806.jpg

IMG_20240601_201905.jpg

Posted (edited)

Congratulations on your great addition!

I've been looking for one of these also.....to no avail....yet.

Best Regards

Greg

Edited by gjw

• 2 weeks later...
    On 03/06/2024 at 14:59, Gordon Craig said:

Carlo,

Excellent photos of these hard to find medals.  Medals with bars are always very interesting.  Good luck in your hunt to complete the set.

Regards,

Gordon

Thanks, you're right, medals with bars are always interesting items!

On 04/06/2024 at 14:02, Christian1962 said:

Congrats!

Two very nice pieces. I am collecting now for more than 40 years and always failed to purchase them.

Regards

Christian

wow, more than 40 years of collecting, I've only been collecting for 5 years, I have a long way to go.

No matter how long since when one started collecting, it's always a fantastic travel through times and history.

My first Imperial Austrian pieces, were those earned by my grandfather (from my mother's side) in WW1, while my first purchased medal, was a Verwundetenmedaille of a fine version for private purchase, stamped "BRONZE" to the rim: I was 13 years old and I can feel the same emotion of that day now that I'm 66... and some more pieces in my drawers.

I've always enjoyed collecting, not necessarily by accumulating pieces, but for the pleasure of researching, studying, give an historical frame to the pieces found in the course of time; by meeting people, discussing pieces, confronting thoughts and opinions.

I'll never forget the visit to the Heeresgeschichtliches Museum in Vienna with my late father, both of us accompanied by Dr. Franz Kaindl, then curator of the faleristic collections, in the second half of the 70s. He was generous of precious informations and kind enough to open some showcases: showing a Militärverdienstkreuz I Klasse-KD, I replied "my dream would be having one like this, one day..."; his reply was not much encouraging: "...and it will remain a dream, my dear boy!".

And I cannot forget the immense kindness of Prof. Fattovich, who honoured me, by sharing his deep knowledge.

After all these years, I'm not yet neither bored, or discouraged and each time I can study an old, Austrian award, it's the same joy as in the past.

I repeat, the pleasure of collecting is not only in the pieces we are able to acquire, but in all that's around!

All the best,

Enzo

Edited by Elmar Lang

@Enzo:

Franz Kaindl was a good friend auf mine. He was president of "Gesellschaft für österreichische Heereskunde", when I joined that society. We have been in the society board together from 1987 - 1991.

He was a real nice and open minded guy. He died few years ago at an age of 96. 

Regards

Christian

9 hours ago, Elmar Lang said:

No matter how long since when one started collecting, it's always a fantastic travel through times and history.

My first Imperial Austrian pieces, were those earned by my grandfather (from my mother's side) in WW1, while my first purchased medal, was a Verwundetenmedaille of a fine version for private purchase, stamped "BRONZE" to the rim: I was 13 years old and I can feel the same emotion of that day now that I'm 66... and some more pieces in my drawers.

I've always enjoyed collecting, not necessarily by accumulating pieces, but for the pleasure of researching, studying, give an historical frame to the pieces found in the course of time; by meeting people, discussing pieces, confronting thoughts and opinions.

I'll never forget the visit to the Heeresgeschichtliches Museum in Vienna with my late father, both of us accompanied by Dr. Franz Kaindl, then curator of the faleristic collections, in the second half of the 70s. He was generous of precious informations and kind enough to open some showcases: showing a Militärverdienstkreuz I Klasse-KD, I replied "my dream would be having one like this, one day..."; his reply was not much encouraging: "...and it will remain a dream, my dear boy!".

And I cannot forget the immense kindness of Prof. Fattovich, who honoured me, by sharing his deep knowledge.

After all these years, I'm not yet neither bored, or discouraged and each time I can study an old, Austrian award, it's the same joy as in the past.

I repeat, the pleasure of collecting is not only in the pieces we are able to acquire, but in all that's around!

All the best,

Enzo

For me it's very similar to what you say, it's not just the material possession of decorations, it's the whole "outline", the research, the study, especially of the little things.

I remember the first object that introduced me to this fantastic world, they were two Italian ribbon bars from the First World War and the Italo-Turkish war, in terrible conditions to be fair, but it all started from there.

They were given to me by a friend, I remember that at first I thought: nice, but what are they?
    From there I began with my studies, not only of orders, decorations and medals, but also of history, to know what events in the past led to the creation of a specific decoration, for what reasons it was awarded, and so on.

I also agree with you on the fact that along the way you can meet many interesting and very knowledgeable people ready to share their experience with others, I have found many of them here in this group.

I hope to be one of those people too one day in the future, which is why I say: the study continues!

All the best,

Carlo