News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

and he wrote on the back of the photo:

" Battleship Bismarck, 35000 to. -passed (by) on the evening of 21.5.41. Herdla (where the man was stationed in Norway).

24.5.41 sunk the Hood

27.5.41 Bismarck was sunk.

p.s. Thanks Simon!

Edited by Ulsterman

• 2 weeks later...

I too am fascinated with the story of the "Sink the Bismarck" events, and the movie is one of my faves. I finally received these German newspapers a couple days late from the 2 days following the sinking (down with UPS! :off topic: ) of the Bismarck. These are very fun to read and have many stories about the war including one about Canada, but the main focus is the sinking of the Hood and the Bismarck. Admiral Liutens is pictured on the May 28, 1941 issue with a quote above him which I think says they fought to the last grenade or something close to that (my German is very basic). Anyways, just thought I'd share them. Here is the 28 Mai 1941 cover of the Kasseler Post (with a help wanted ad for Coca-Cola as well!).

Pat

and he wrote on the back of the photo:

" Battleship Bismarck, 35000 to-passed on the evening of 21.5.41. Herdlo (where the man was staioned in Norway).

24.5.41 sunk the Hood

27.5.41 Bismarck was sunk.

That should read Herdla, a large LW airfield in SW Norway.

Talking of Bismarck. Has anyone else noticed that several Bismarck docs and groups have just come on the market in the last week or two?

• 5 months later...