News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Guest Rick Research

Is it yours? Any name on back? Too bad it's cropped off his Frackspange!

Rumanian Order of the Crown-Commander and Bulgarian Order of Saint Alexander with Sword on Ring (!)-Commander at his neck. Turkish WW1 War Medal star on his right (and why do we never get photos straight on to identify maker types, aaarrghh).

What shows of his medal bar is

1914 Iron Cross 2nd Class on non-combatant "white-black" ribbon, Red Eagle Order 4th Class with Crown, Prussian XX Years Reserve-Landwehr Service cross, and the top of the ribbon of a 1904-06 Southwest Africa Medal--undoubtedly in steel.

Great photo! :jumping::jumping::jumping:

Guest Rick Research

:beer: Congratulations Christian! I'm glad it has a good home and isn't floating around on eBay!

Joe-- that's why I wish we had a NAME. Christian's Mel Ferrer clone's visible pre-war German Red Eagle 4 with Crown suggests a "Major" level civil servant. The commander grade foreign orders-- especially from 1916-17 enemy Rumania suggest some sort of consular or diplomatic post... and yet his Turkish War Medal star suggests that he was in uniform somewhere "out East." I don't think I have ever encountered a documented CIVILIAN award of that. He could also have been a Military Beamter.

Now it actually MAY be possible to find him from his XX and RAO4mKr IF he was an "active" dR/dL officer... in 1914. It'll take hours of looking, and if he retired in 1912 or whatever, all for naught.

My own similar-- and unquestionably MEDICAL "Professor" type has eluded all my efforts at identification:

[attachmentid=40193]

The fact that my pince-nez wearer has chosen to slather on his wartime pinbacks and Commander grade Franz Joseph (on the war ribbon) with a medal bar left over from before the war and not showing any other wartime ribboned awards hasn't helped. Note the 1919 Silesian Eagle 1st Class!!! :banger:

wow :jumping::jumping:

he is also a very interesting guy!

but hard to tell as well! why can't these pics contain a name on the back - it would make it so much easier to "understand-and-get-into-history"!!!!

but if ever a name would come up, and the story gets up to the surfice as well, i'd guess, that it would be incredible!!!

(and to tell the trouth, i only bought the picture at first because of the DSWA-medal ribbon :ninja: - "recogniced" the real beauty of the picture first when i hold it in my hands at home :P )

christian