News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Medal for the Defense of Sevastopol

Rick this is the best I can do, hope it helps :unsure:

OoV,

You don't need all that huge percentage of white around the Doc.

If when you scan it you crop it for scanning only the Doc itself (as below) the result will be much better.

Of course in this case as I copied youroriginal pic aqnd cropped it, now the file is too small, but if you do it yourself when originally scanning it, I'm sure the result will be just fine.

Just my 2 cents,

Dolf

Guest Rick Research

Scan it and look at it FIRST, before posting to the web or whatever that setting is. I never use that precisely because it sends something that you haven't SEEN.

Perfectly easy to crop:

[attachmentid=40124]

with no wasted kilobyte-eating space.

So Starshina 1st Class Pankov, Nikolai Fedorovich received this on 25 July from Captain 3rd Rank (that's a Lieutenant Commander to us, a Commander to you-- same as a German Korvettenkapit?n) Nikolaev as Commander of Outpost/Guard/Security of the "Water District." (Komandir Okhrana Vodnogo Raiona). Now that's "water" in what I take to be an "afloat" sense but an odd choice of words since it is NOT "coastal" or "sea" or "harbor" or even "riverine." I guess what is meant is "near approaches" offshore of SOMEPLACE.

THAT where I cannot tell, because at the resolution and size you've used, I cannot read the stamp. My blowing up your scan just makes it fuzzy. Turn it on its side so the left margin is down and the stamp will be right side up. The left of the state arms is just People's Commissariat of the navy and the right side is "of the Black Sea Fleet." It's the crucial 9-to-3 I can't make out:

[attachmentid=40125]

Guest Rick Research

Thanks Alan! :beer: That "M" had looked like a "Zh!" Now if only there was a SOVIET public version of "Who's Who?" to look up this sort of political paladin! I eagerly bought one some years back that was so described-- only to find it was packed with ballerinas and "artistes" and as skimpy as a tutu on political and military types. :(

Guest Rick Research

Dave you mad, mad fool!!!!! :speechless: How COULD you have flogged THAT on???? :o Why, the very NOTION!!!! :shame:

Lieutenant Colonel Petr Ippolitovich ( :cheeky: ) Salivon, signed off on 28 July 1943 by Captain 1st Rank (a real full naval "Captain" Captain)

Brigade Commander of Black Sea Fleet "UNDERWATER BOATS".

What were you THINKING, man!!!! :banger:

How many "army" officers named "Hippolyteson" could have held their breath that long???????????

:rolleyes: