News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Guest Rick Research

Upper Left "M ilitary S chool" badge for an academy graduating Lieutenants, about 1957-60.

Upper right Badge for Excellence in Civil Defense, maybe 1960s since the ribbon is still a real ribbon. Also given to military personnel-- for a later type, see the Researched Awards subforum, general Perukhov's from 1972.

Lower left Naval School of the DOSAAF, which was the school group supporting the military and civil defense-- sort of our Junior ROTC without commissioning involved.

Lower right is the badge of a "Druzhinnik," or Volunteer Policeman. Usually most involved in auxiliary role of patroling for public drunks.

Regarding that DOSAAF Naval School pin/badge, I don't think that one's all that common. Not rare, mind you, but not that commonly encountered in my limited experience.

I have a modest DOSAAF collection/group/box full of/heap o' badges and I don't think there is one of these in it. Nope, just checked. Got 15-20 of the little critters, but not that one. Got the junior sailor, got the driver, got the glider pilot, got the activist, got the ... well, you get the idea, but no Naval School. That will go nicely in a navy or DOSAAF collection.

For your gee-whiz file, DOSAAF navy was preceded by DOSFLOT. At least, so I have been lead to believe. I've never found a DOSFLOT badge and I have begun to wonder if they ever existed. I do have one document, so I know that the organization existed. I have the Soviet DOSAAF reference book and I can't find it in there either. Anyone happen to have any insight about this?

• 1 year later...

Badge #8 is a Kirov military academy badge, but I think it may be a copy.

I have an almost identical one for the Stalin academy which is a fake, and the back of the diamond is identical. It also lacks a fixing for the academy name plate, I think genuine ones have a 'stud' on the back where the second part passes through the diamond.

Guest Rick Research

The multiple piece military academy badges with riveted Gerbs and pronged on name shields are only found on white higher academy badges made out of silver, from the 1950s. These blue military badges for Lieutenants only exist from the 1980s on, by which time all military academy badge name shields were simply sweated on with solder, whether blue or white types.

I agree that the civilian university badge, with post-1956 Gerb is late 1960s or 1970s because it is still brass and nice enamel. I have never seen one attributed from a living graduate to tell when the manufacturing types changed after 1956 with the 15 Republics types.

Here is an 11 Republics, circa 1939-46 University graduates badge in silver compared to a 16 Republics 1946-56 with brass Gerb but still on silver rhomboid: