News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Red vs White Military Service Cross

Scott

A quick question: What was the award criteria difference between the Spanish Red Military Service Cross and White Military Service Cross? I've searched the forum and couldn't find a difinitive answer, although one thread mentioned the White one is more rare and was for enlisted/NCOs only. Is that true? is there more to it than that?

Thanks in advance for helping to clarify this for me :unsure:

Scott

Edited by Scott

Ed - point well taken. I should have been more specific: I am asking this in relation to how German troops would have earned either the red or white cross during the Spanish Civil War. If I'm in the wrong place for this question, I'll take it to the international forum.

Thanks.

Scott

Edited by Scott

Hi,

I don't have figures of the number of these decorations awarded. It was in relation with the act of bravery of which the recipient performed during the war as combattant (red cross) and non combattant (white cross). The most part of the LC members did receive the red cross.

The relation between white or red service cross and the attribution of the spanish cross is more obscure. I saw spanish red cross with gold, silver or bronze SC; spanish white cross with silver and bronze SC.

Here is a sample of a soldier awarded with the white cross and the SC in bronze with swords.

Guest Rick Research

It is my understanding that the red/white is the same distinction as between the German WW2 Iron Cross/War Merit CrossX-- "bravery" versus "war merit."

Rick, thanks - that puts it in terms I can relate to. Jacques, a fantastic grouping - to include Spanish pilot wing award! Would love to see more of the whole group!

Scott

Rick, thanks - that puts it in terms I can relate to. Jacques, a fantastic grouping - to include Spanish pilot wing award! Would love to see more of the whole group!

Scott

It is not a pilot wings award. It is a single document for the attribution of two medal, in this case the "medalla de la campa?a" and the "cruz blanca del merito militar". You can find the same but with the "cruz roja del merito militar". http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=4879

jacques

It is my understanding that the red/white is the same distinction as between the German WW2 Iron Cross/War Merit CrossX-- "bravery" versus "war merit."

That is almost correct...

White crosses were awarded for meritorious PEACETIME service, and had different classes according to the recipient's rank: High ranking officers received breast stars, junior officers received white enamelled crosses hanging from a ribbon and enlisted men received the same crosses but without enamel.

Red crosses were awarded for WARTIME service, and until the start of the SCW they had too different classes according to the recipient's rank. But after the outbreak of the war the Nationalist side established a unique class for all ranks: a red enamelled cross hanging from a ribbon. Red breast stars were not awarded for SCW service. They were reintroduced after the war.

On the other hand, although being PEACETIME awards, white crosses could be awarded for meritorious wartime service not related to combats. AFAIK German War Merit crosses were wartime-only awards.

Edited by Panzerpionier