News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Ships & Subs Badges

As suggested by Gerd, some more detailed pics of Soviet (apparently some are post Soviet era) Ships & Subs Badges. I don't know much about these Badges :blush: so any help and opinions would be most welcome.

It seems these were for Ships & Subs Commanders.

I have them either in a kind of gold color and a kind of silver color. I've read somewhere that the colors have to do with the rank, but I can't remember where I've read that and I'm not sure of this. In both cases, some have a flatback, others are mirror reverse. Not sure what they are made of, probably brass I guess. The star looks to be enamel.

Dolf

PS: Ok, found the info I was missing about the colors. According to another fellow collector "... The silver (bottom) are issued to the CO's of ships and subs; the gilt (top) are issued to commanders of groups of ships or subs (Captians 1st rank and admirals)... "

Edited by Dolf

A few Subs Badges.

It seems these are post Soviet.

Quoting what a fellow collector told me about these a couple of years ago:

On the left side, Top to Bottom:

Delta

Typhoon (Akula) Typhoon class PLARB - Nuclear Powered Ballistic Missile Submarine

Delta IV - BDRM Del'fin (Delta IV class) PLARB - Nuclear Powered Ballistic Missile Submarine

On the right side, Top to Bottom:

SS-406 Typhoon

SS-251 Delta

SS-007 Yankee Type 1 ; 4th Squadron it is said that it was the first Sub to visit the UK

Dolf

No info whatsoever about the next three. Opinions? Thanks.

Ship 1000 with anchor and flag. Which flag is it by the way?

Dolf

Edited by Dolf

(...)

PS: Ok, found the info I was missing about the colors. According to another fellow collector "... The silver (bottom) are issued to the CO's of ships and subs; the gilt (top) are issued to commanders of groups of ships or subs (Captians 1st rank and admirals)... "

Hi Dolf,

This is also what is said in Martin Goodman's book "Lenin's Legacy - A concise history and guide to Soviet collectibles". :jumping:

Very nice badges!!!

Cheers.

Ch.

A few Subs Badges.

It seems these are post Soviet.

(...) On the right side, Top to Bottom:

SS-406 Typhoon (...)

I don't know what it's worth, but Goodman identifies this badge (and probably similar for the 3 same style others...) as a "SSBN Serviceman's badge - c. 1970s-1980s".

Hope this helps.

Ch.

Edited by Christophe

"Commanding officer (Captain)" of a ship, a submarine... those types issued during Perestroika

Submarines

(left-top-bottom):

1) Yankee, of 19 division, set in 1969

2) Typhoon

3) Delta-IV

(right-top-bottom)

1) Oscar (Granit/Antey)

2) 1st Flotilla (strange submarine: conning tower as Typhoon but in the mid ?)

3) 4 squadron od diesel subs (641 project)

Photos "1000":

1000 - the 1000s submarine built during the soviet time (Delta-IV - class). I served on board exactly this sub for 5 years. I have never seen such badge with an ancor, either a hand made or a new one? Can we look at the reverse?

Dima

Dima,

Thank you very much for your help and clarifications.

Yes, I'm scanning the reverse of both "1000" Badges and will post the pics in a few minutes.

Dolf

Edited by Dolf

Dima,

Here are the pics of both 1000 Subs Badges.

This one with the anchor is a 3 pieces Badge (the Sub + the Flag + the anchor), the other a 2 pieces Badge!

Dolf

Edited by Dolf

Hi Dolf, thanks! I have the last one. I will ask my former colleagues what "Ancor"-type is. "Ancor"-type is made of cooper?

Dima,

Thank You! :cheers:

On both the materials seem to be the same for the Sub and the Flags. The anchor itself (at least based on the color) seems to be made of another material.

But I have no idea what any of the different pieces are made of :blush: Maybe copper, maybe brass I guess, but can't be sure! :unsure:

Dolf

Posting a few pics of the reverse of the 5 Ship Badges posted here, post #10, left column:

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=5641...t=0entry83459

Sorry for the quality of the scans but these guys are no piece of cake to scan with their long screws.

Top to bottom:

Ship CO Badge, golden color, flat reverse.

On this one the reverse is (obviously) perfectly flat.

Dolf

Edited by Dolf

The second from top to bottom on that display, again with a golden color.

This one has a mirror reverse rather smooth.

Dolf

Edited by Dolf

The third from top to bottom on the same display, again with a golden color.

This one also has a mirror reverse, but the reverse is rather rough, if compared with the previous one.

Dolf

As for the Subs on the right column of the same display mentioned above, the things are a bit more complicate than for the Ships :speechless:

There are more differences between them than for the ships.

Only the 1st one on the top would I consider kind of golden color. That one has a flat reverse.

The 2nd from the top is a silver color one, also with a flat reverse.

All the others have a mirror reverse, but there are slight differences between them.

For example the 3rd from the top is neither golden or silver color, but almost between both! :speechless:

The 4th one is rather silver color but has a small difference on the obverse, as the 2 towers are pretty different from all the others! This one also has a smaller red star than all the others! :speechless:

The 5th from the top (last one on that column) is also silver color, mirror reverse, but with the towers like the 3 first ones. :rolleyes:

Please just ask, if you want to see some pics, I'll try to post at least a couple later.

Dolf