News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello,

I wasn?t sure where to put this, Imperial or 3rd Reich but here it is. Please move it, if it should be 3rd Reich.

Is this cardboard box an official ?Pappetui? as opposed to the normal Treue um Treue cases? I?ve never really noticed them before and think I would have tried to splash out the extra 25 pfg. for the wooden case. Money must have really been tight back then.

Tony

All cases, boxes for this medal, whether the "Treue um Treue", or dated like this, are actually private-purchase items. The crosses were issued in wax (blue) paper bags, manila envelopes (occassionally a titled one shows up, but there is disagreement over authenticity) or a blue/brown packet with no title.

Somewhere, probably on WAF, there's photos/scans of the actual advertisements to sell the cases.....

Thanks for the comments, it is nice to know it's pukka! I wonder if there's a black box for the widow's cross.

Don, I'll have to keep an eye out for more of them to see which way round the wreath is.

Tony

• 2 months later...

This box is not for the German "Ehrenkreuz f?r Frontk?mpfer", but for the Austrian "Weltkriegs-Erinnerungsmedaille". Very nice and not often seen nonetheless. I do not know if this box was official for the Austrian medal or also for purchase ?!? Can someone help?

I'd be interested to see what you find Rick.

If this isn't a cardbaord box meant for the Honour Cross, then what does the official cardboard box look like, could it be similar in size and appearance to the wooden case for the Honour Cross? Or was there maybe just one style of cardboard box being used for one, two or three different awards?

Do I have to buy myself a Weltkriegs-Erinnerungsmedaille?

Tony

Nice one Mike!

The only difference I see apart from your one being complete, is the paper hinge connecting the lid and base. I'm thinking they used the same style of card/paper case for all the post war commemorative medals.

Do you know which year the Austrian/Hungarian/Bulgarian medals were issued? Was it as late as the Hindenburg Cross?

Tony