News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Comrade Colonel Ivan Kirillovich Nedashkovsky

I like Andrei better! Only respectful to use the right name!

I have been stogieman for so long, in cyberspace and elsewhere.... I don't think I have any name anymore!

:cheeky:

It might be funny (or stupid), but in my passport my name indicated as Andriy. This is Ukrainian transcription. Even though my whole family and all my friends speak Russian, in official papers we have Ukrainian spelling since 1991.

:speechless:

Edited by MONDVOR

Guest Rick Research

Aside from being blurry and VERY badly written, the citation dispenses with capitalization for starting sentences and other peculiarities of handwriting style which are giving me problems reading it.

Something about...

...in the village of "Inkol'skoe, suppressing 6 'Azotov' (???), 4 machine guns, 3 mortars, destroyed as many as 200 Germans. Battalion without regard for ... of the enemy and .... with ..... seccured attack and ... villages of Inkol'skoe, Novaya Dere{edge of page not copied} ...."

Signed 29 May 1942 by the Commander of 826 Art Regt, Major (Scribble) and the commissar (Scribble)

On the back, approved without date by Divisional Commander Colonel Beloborodov and the divisional Commissar Sovchenko

Approved 9 June 1942 at 11th Army headquarters by Lieutenant General (Illegible) and Army Council Member Kolonin.

Awarded by decree of Southwest Front on 24 July 1942, signed illegibly by two staff officers.

I haven't checked the signatires on Steen's website yet, because I'm still not done with my OWN new research back in. Soooo much to dooooo.

As far as I can understand this terrible ( :D ) handwriting, the citation says the following:

While being a subgroup commander on a main srtiking sector of division's offensive, comrade Nedashkovskij provided a takeover of an enemy's strong fortified area Nikolskoe. During this action his unit neutralized 6

pillboxes, 4 machine-gun positions, 3 mortar positions and eliminated up to 200 German soldiers.

His divizion (not division - AK), despite strong enemy artillery fire and air strikes, provided the cover for our infantry units attack and capturing villages Nikolskoe, Novaya Derevnya and Golitino. Deserves the state award - Order of the Red Banner.

Commander of 826 artillery regiment Major - Unclear.

Military Commissar of 826 artillery regiment Battalion Commissar (political rank equal to Captain - AK) - Unclear.

May 29, 1942.

Forgot to explain. In Russian "ДЗОТ" means "ДЕРЕВО-ЗЕМЛЯНАЯ ОГНЕВАЯ ТОЧКА" or "FIRING POSITION COVERED WITH WOOD AND SOIL". So it is a pillbox.

Hallo Mondovor :beer:

Slightly off the subject of documents and Russian language, but related to fortifications.

I believe a more correct description of a Pill-box is; a position with a re-enforced concrete structure, built for the enclosure of machine-guns or light artillery.

A firing position covered with wood and soil is a simple bunker.

Just my two kopecks :beer:

Kevin in Deva.

Hallo Mondovor :beer:

Slightly off the subject of documents and Russian language, but related to fortifications.

I believe a more correct description of a Pill-box is; a position with a re-enforced concrete structure, built for the enclosure of machine-guns or light artillery.

A firing position covered with wood and soil is a simple bunker.

Just my two kopecks :beer:

Kevin in Deva.

Probably you are right. It is just my bad knowledge of English Military Terminology :D

For solid concrete structure there is another abbreviation in Russian - it is DOT (DOLGOVREMENNAYA OGNEVAYA TOCHKA) or if we translate in English it would be Long-Term Fire Position.

So Nedashkovskij's unit destroyed bunkers, not pilldoxes. Thanks for correction :beer:

Guest Rick Research

"Forgot to explain. In Russian 'ДЗОТ' means 'ДЕРЕВО-ЗЕМЛЯНАЯ ОГНЕВАЯ ТОЧКА' or 'FIRING POSITION COVERED WITH WOOD AND SOIL'."

AH!!! :banger::blush:

:beer: I am not good on abbreviations... especially if I am looking for the wrong letter!!! :cheers: