News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Japanese Type-30 Bayonet

Sorry I'm late in posting this Hauptman. Here's a beautiful example of a subcontracted bayonet made under the Nagoya Arsenal's supervision by Howa Jyuko. I acquired this bayonet from a Member of another forum. It has retained alot of it's original blueing and the blade is still pretty sharp. Your comments or are always welcome.

Regards,

Joel

Edited by buellmeister

Sorry I'm late in posting this Hauptman. Here's a beautiful example of a subcontracted bayonet made under the Nagoya Arsenal's supervision by Howa Jyuko. I acquired this bayonet from a Member of another forum. It has retained alot of it's original blueing and the blade is still pretty sharp. Your comments or are always welcome.

Regards,

Joel

Hi Joel,

Ahhh, I see why I didn't get notified. You made a separate post. :P So the system hasn't failed me after all. :cheeky::lol:

Beautiful piece! :D And in excellent shape. And yes, they are sharp. I've yet to handle a Japanese bayonet that wasn't. They took great price in their blades and were one of the few nations at that point in time to really consider the bayonet a "main" weapon of their arsenal.

Anyhow, felt I'd better take mine out for a spin too.

[attachmentid=42990]

[attachmentid=42991]

[attachmentid=42992]

[attachmentid=42993]

[attachmentid=42994]

[attachmentid=42995]

[attachmentid=42996]

And the thing that grows off the end of the bayo... :rolleyes::lol:

[attachmentid=42997]

[attachmentid=42998]

I don't know a whole lot re: manufacturers, etc. on mine. I've actually got two Arisaka's but one has been sporterized. I'll probably go post the rifles over in the firearms section.

Great bayo! They have a certain simplistic beauty but then again so do most Japanese edged weapons. It's no wonder they loved them so much.

Thanks, :cheers:

Dan

Dan, thank you for your reply. I particularly like the curved quillon that your's has. No doubt they were one of the main instruments of war in their philosophy of island fighting and the such. Keep the pictures of your Japanese militaria coming and I'll do the same. :beer:

Regards,

Joel

Dan, thank you for your reply. I particularly like the curved quillon that your's has. No doubt they were one of the main instruments of war in their philosophy of island fighting and the such. Keep the pictures of your Japanese militaria coming and I'll do the same. :beer:

Regards,

Joel

Hi Joel,

Wow... my brain must have been on vacation... or my eyes are really going, but I didn't even notice that your's didn't have the curved quillon. Geez, I either need new glasses or new brain... whichever is cheaper! :P

I had hoped to post my two Arisaka's yesterday but got into posting other stuff I was backlogged on and then with sizing all the pics I took the day just few!

Then today Kim comes home from a meeting and said it was such a nice day she wanted to go up and have a picnic. So off we went. Just got back a bit ago but now have to go up and vote in a few minutes. Then historical society meeting at the museum, then work tonight at 10:30 p.m. But hoping between all that to have time to get more posted. Then tomorrow (knock on wood) should be a clean slate except for my usual research work.

So keep your fingers crossed and I'll have more up soon. Definitely looking forward to seeing more of your great stuff too!!!! Please keep it coming! :beer:

Thanks! :cheers:

Dan

• 1 year later...
    • 4 months later...

Hi Fellows,

Nice bayonets, you make me wish I had not sold my Japanese bayonet collection.

Here is some information I have from Larry Johnson's book, "Japanese Bayonets", Cedar Ridge Publications, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma.

Dan's bayonet looks to be the Type 30 variation "A". The mark is that of the Koishikawa (Tokyo) 1870 to 1929 - 35, and Kokura Arsenal 1929-35 to 1945. After an earthquake in 1923, along with production streamlining of the armaments industries, production shifted from Toyko to the Kokura Army arsenal during the 1929-35 period. The mark is reported to represent four cannonballs in a pile, viewed from the top.

Joel's looks to be the Type 30 but the "B" variation. The marks are those of the Nagoya Arsenal but the actual manufacturer is unknown. This mark has also been referred to as Atsuta, which was a factory in the Nagoya arsenal system. It is often referred to as the Nagoya diamond mark.

As to the hook I have always held that, like the British bayonet of WWI, they started out with a hooked quillion but was modified to allow easier and faster production.

The book "Japanese Bayonets" has this to say about the subject. "The hook is believed to have been discontinued in the late 1930s or early 1940s. The hook was no longer popular in many countries and it may also have been eliminated to simplify production".

The bayonet was indeed a major part of the military thinking and had its roots in the samurai code of Bushido which said the the honorable way to meet the enemy was face to face. Japanese soldiers were trained on the range to fire their weapons with bayonets affixed to the rifle which was not the general rule for other nations.

I hope this is of some help.

(Man, I miss my boynets)

Cheers :cheers:

Brian