News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Guest Rick Research

A young pre-war Luftwaffe Oberst should certainly have made General during the war, yet I find nobody to match from Waldeck. The WW1 award rolls from that state are complete, and I find no Luftwaffe General (or known Oberst) who matches.

No match in the Reichsheer, though that does not precluse an "invisible" from the Weimar police.

I suspect therefore that this officer is not wearing a Waldeck award, but the virtually identical (from this angle, center impossible to see) Honor Cross from REUSS-- the award rolls for which have not been published.

He looks very much like Karl von Gerlach (1894-1941), posthumous Luftwaffe Generalmajor BUT von Gerlach somehow seems to have gotten the WW1 Flyers' Commemorative Badge (I do not see how he can possibly have qualified) and is wearing same in his under-decorated Reichsheer portrait in the Biblio series. Von Gerlach had the 1918 Wound Badge, made Luftwaffe Oberst 1.1.39, and would still have held the 18 and 4--as being worn here--until the fall of 1939 when his 25 would have been processed.

There are NO Luftwaffe Rank Lists beyond the partial flying-and-General-Staff-only Hauptleute up of February 1945. The Flowers War Medals and Italian Crown Order would not have been shown, even if there had been pre-war lists.

No clue who this is.

thanks a lot for the comments and the id try's!

when i saw this, i was really amazed to see the amount of awards and liked.

sadly the quality isn't that good, as it is a rather small pic, so here a try on the medalbar (can do it bigger, but its getting more and more unclear)

christian