News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My shell collection

Hauptmann

Hi all,

Here's my shell collection... are at least as much as I've been able to photograph so far. I'll have to take out a bunch and do a "group photo" at some point when I've got more time and energy.

Anyhow here goes:

WWI Egg Grenade... was told originally this was German... but with the RF is it actually French?

[attachmentid=43846]

[attachmentid=43847]

Don't know the designation of this one... just something neat I picked up at a surplus store one day:

[attachmentid=43848]

Another one I'm not sure of:

[attachmentid=43849]

[attachmentid=43850]

And a good old pineapple... saw the little tags being put on these and sold for big bucks so just made my own: :P:cheeky::lol:

[attachmentid=43851]

[attachmentid=43852]

[attachmentid=43853]

[attachmentid=43854]

[attachmentid=43855]

This is an interesting one... it was dug up by a metal detectorist... in central Florida of all places. Appears to predate the Great War:

[attachmentid=43856]

[attachmentid=43857]

[attachmentid=43858]

[attachmentid=43867]

[attachmentid=43868]

[attachmentid=43869]

[attachmentid=43870]

This is one of my favorites. It belonged to my dad and he'd take it out on occassion and show it to me throughout my childhood.

[attachmentid=43871]

[attachmentid=43872]

[attachmentid=43878]

Another favorite... German shells made into shot glasses. I saw a whole tray of these on Ebay once and tried to get them but they went to high for me at the time. Easy come, easy go.

[attachmentid=43879]

[attachmentid=43880]

[attachmentid=43881]

These are neat... the aluminum heads screw off. Again no idea what they were for:

[attachmentid=43882]

This is one of my biggest ones, except for my Navy practice bomb which I'd already posted a while back.

It stands 31.5 inches tall... the shell itself is 9 inches in length... and boy is it ever heavy! Not the thing to drop on ones foot... :shame: believe me, I know! :speechless1:;):speechless:

[attachmentid=43883]

The shell:

[attachmentid=43884]

Cartridge base:

[attachmentid=43885]

Shell base:

[attachmentid=43886]

What I believe is a German fuse or igniter:

[attachmentid=43889]

And last (for now) but not least... something just for fun: :P

[attachmentid=43890]

[attachmentid=43891]

[attachmentid=43892]

This is a model... a plastic model. But very complete with screw off end cap, plastic pull bead and cord, screw off head with igniter inside attached to the pull cord.

I built it many moons ago and my mom painted it. Not too bad I think for a hunk of plastic and displays quite nicely.

Well, guess that's about it for now. When I'm able I'll dig up some more and try to do a nice group shot.

Thanks, :cheers:

Dan

Hi all,

Here's my shell collection... are at least as much as I've been able to photograph so far. I'll have to take out a bunch and do a "group photo" at some point when I've got more time and energy.

Anyhow here goes:

WWI Egg Grenade... was told originally this was German... but with the RF is it actually French?

[attachmentid=43846]

[attachmentid=43847]

Don't know the designation of this one... just something neat I picked up at a surplus store one day:

[attachmentid=43848]

Another one I'm not sure of:

[attachmentid=43849]

[attachmentid=43850]

And a good old pineapple... saw the little tags being put on these and sold for big bucks so just made my own: :P:cheeky::lol:

[attachmentid=43851]

[attachmentid=43852]

The round blue ball looks like a practice anti personnell sub munition.These ae found from golfball size(M32) to softball size(BLU 61) the most common being baseball size(BLU 63,BLU 36) Thats a nice varied collection you have

Hi Spotter, Jens... many thanks for the info. I'm especially so relieved that my "egg" is German. Funny enough I'd never really "seen" the RF until I took the photos... don't know why but it just never struck me for some reason... and then all I could think was Republique Francais. :P

Methinks I need to do a bit of cleanup work on some of these. They've not been out of the wood ammo crate for years! :cheers:

Dan

Hauptman i have bad news on your german fuze..Its american ..its an M6/M7 firing/boobytrap device used with mines and can also be used on grenades with an adapter.This isnt the best of pictures so ill try find others to post later

[attachmentid=44048]

Edited by spotter

Hauptman i have bad news on your german fuze..Its american ..its an M6/M7 firing/boobytrap device used with mines and can also be used on grenades with an adapter.This isnt the best of pictures so ill try find others to post later

[attachmentid=44048]

Hi Spotter,

That's okay... I think it was a gift and I made the assumption it was German. So not a biggie. But good to know and many thanks for the info! :beer:

Thanks! :cheers:

Dan

Phew glad your not dissapointed ,on the rounds with the screw off fuzes?? is there any writing/numbers on the fuzes and approx what size are the rounds e.g 20mm 30mm.

Hi Spotter,

Many thanks for all the info. And shoot no... no biggie. I still think it's neat. :P Be happy to get you any and all info on the other rounds... but have to do that later today. Getting ready to sign off and hit the bed and that's all down in the bunker. But will post asap later today. :beer:

Dan

ok dan no problem

Hi Spotter,

Sorry about that. Was just bonkers last night and had to get some :sleep: . Here's some info:

On the smallest of the three there are absolutely "no" markings that I can see. I tried to get the head to screw off but it's tight. I don't want to use pliars as that may damage the aluminum. Will have to figure out some way to get it off to see inside... if that's even adviseable. I have no history on this other than it was used by a friends dad for ages as a paperweight when he sold knives at flea markets. No telling where he got it or when.

And as I don't really know anything about these... is there any danger in unscrewing one that's tight? The two German ones come right off and are hollow inside.

Anyhow the smallest one measures:

3 inches in length

5/8's of an inch in diameter at the base at the widest point

The German ones are:

3.25 inches in length

5/8's of an inch in diameter at the base but that does taper out slightly on the main body of the shell.

The markings are:

On the aluminum:

AZ150* eeo 52 (* = obscured by small gouge... would think z).

AZ150z eeo 53 44

On the body right above the band:

44 bk z4k (Waffen Amt) WaA 411 W (same on both).

Both have a red color all around where the stampings are above the band. From there up to the head it's the remnants of a mustard yellow color.

The bottoms on these two have a pinkish material in them... looked like dirt at first but definitely something pinkish color upon closer examination.

When I unscrew the heads, the shells themselves are empty with only a small dot or circular impression dead center at the base. The heads are threaded of course and on the base of them they have a square notch in either side which seems like it's for some sort of spanner tool or something... no idea what or why. And inside has a dot or tiny circular impression dead center.

Anyhow hope this helps. Need any more info your wish is my command. :beer:

Many thanks, :cheers:

Dan

Dan DO NOT try to loosen that fuze/plug untill it can be positively identified.....im going to try look up the others now.BUT LEAVE THAT ONE ALONE

Hi Spotter,

Will do... kinda figured... am always EXTREMELY careful with such things. Had a Civil War Hotchkis shell that was "supposed" to have been disarmed. But I could find no drill holes and the fuse looked like it had not been out in a gazillion years. Didn't fool with it and as much as I loved it I felt it was too much of a chance so I passed it on to more experienced collectors to deal with.

Also, in my post #2 in the first three pics... I got that for like a buck ages ago in an antique store. Didn't realize till later... if you shake it a bit it sounds like powder inside. :speechless1:

Here's the markings on that one:

ZEL-1-47-62-20MM 55A3

No idea if that's a practice round made that way with say sand inside... but kinda suspect it might be a live one. :rolleyes: If so, is it dangerous and should I get rid of it and if yes to that, how? Should I take it to the local Guard Armory and let them deal with it? I can't get in any trouble if I do that can I? I'd much prefer to have nothing dangerous in my collection.

I'm hoping the small one is not dangerous... there seems to be no firing pin like on the #2 post above. Only other live stuff I have is like rifle or pistol ammo and it's all properly stored and locked up so no one else can access it. And it's all stored in the basement/bunker.

Will await your advice. :unsure:

Thanks!!!! :cheers:

Dan

Hello dan if your ever in doubt about any items and this goes for everyone notify your local authoritys dont throw them away in the trash or dump them .children may find them or even people who would use the contents to make further devices.I understand your fears of getting into trouble,im sure you could think up excuses...old family war souvenirs etc.even if the items turn out to be safe its better to look stupid than look dead or maimed......here endeth the sermon....

ok dan im off back on my mission to id these items

Hello dan if your ever in doubt about any items and this goes for everyone notify your local authoritys dont throw them away in the trash or dump them .children may find them or even people who would use the contents to make further devices.I understand your fears of getting into trouble,im sure you could think up excuses...old family war souvenirs etc.even if the items turn out to be safe its better to look stupid than look dead or maimed......here endeth the sermon....

ok dan im off back on my mission to id these items

Hi Spotter,

Again definitely on track with you on this. Had I noticed the sound of the powder when I was getting that one... I would have just told the store owner to call the authorities to have them check it out. It was after all only a buck and not worth getting hurt over. But I would have passed on it. Just wish I'd realized cause now it's my problem.

But assuming on that one that it's basically like an oversized rifle round... as long as it doesn't get in a fire or no one pounds on the cap it should be okay... but if it's live I'd just rather not have it.

I'm sure if I explain to them then it won't be any problem. They're pretty good about stuff here whereas in some cities, especially nowadays they'd have the NG, Sheriff, Police and just about anyone else they could think of on my doorstep to "pick it up" with some gadget or other. Whereas I think I'll just stop buy as there's usually a Sgt. on duty over there and I can simply check with him and if it's okay'ed by him I'll bring it in and if they want it, they can have it as they'll be able to handle it better than I will.

But let me know if that sounds like what I should do as I'll hold off doing anything till I hear back from you again.

Dan

[attachmentid=44128]

The two rounds on the right are GermanWW2 2cm flak38 rounds the red band (just visible)indicates a tracer was present and the yellow overall colour indicates HE.The small round appears to be a 20 X120 mm round more likely of US origin but also used by other countrys inc germany see the attatched article i just found as for wether its practice or HE its hard to tell without any markings ,,does any colour remain at all.try wetting it around the driving band to see if any colour got trapped .

[attachmentid=44129]

Edited by spotter

This is an interesting one... it was dug up by a metal detectorist... in central Florida of all places. Appears to predate the Great War:

[attachmentid=43856]

[attachmentid=43857]

[attachmentid=43858]

I think I've found this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-german-WW1-inert-37m...1QQcmdZViewItem

2 nice tracer pompom 37m/m shells .

They are INERT .

1st: Kaiserliche marine mark C/97.98 . Dated XI/1902 . Karlsruhe 54 . Has 2 point markings from refilling it when fired .

2nd: Kaiserliche marine marking C/97.98 . Dated X / 1900 . Karlsruhe 23 . Has been 6 times refilled 6 small points on the back of the case . ( not so often you will find them with these additional refilling markings .

Found in Belgium/flanders so they have seen front duty !!!!

These shells are used for close infantry support sturmbattalione . Test have been made to put them in large aeroplanes from the fliegertruppen . Have been used as AA-gun and on naval boats .

[attachmentid=44194][attachmentid=44195]

Dan :cheers:

Edited by Hauptman