News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Considering Researching - But help needed first

I am considering researching my Order of the Red Banner Screw Back (Gerd you will be pleased) and possibly my Nevsky.

But I just wanted check two things:

1. How much does cost

2. What do you ask for, I have seen medals for sale with partial research and full research what is the difference?

Hope you can help.

1. How much does cost

2. What do you ask for, I have seen medals for sale with partial research and full research what is the difference?

Well, let's see... The thing that you'll first have to get with either of them is the Award Card, which will run you about $40. Then, each citation will run you another $15. Figure translation for each of the citations, and expect another $15-$20 per citation. So, in total just the award card and citation with translation will run you about $80-$90 (about 48 ukp) when all is said and done.

What's the difference between "full" and "partial" research? I would consider a single award with just the award card and citation "partial" research. It's partial because there's a lot more there that isn't with the award. If you request "full" research, you'll get the award card, citation for the award PLUS all the other citations for the other awards in the group (if there are any) plus the service history of the individual (another $15 or so) and the personnel file, which runs another $20-$50 depending on what's there. I've had "full" research run me up to $210 for a single group, and that was without translation!

For a single award, if you are planning on selling the award somewhere down the line, it makes most sense to just get the award card, single citation and probably the service history. If you're planning on keeping the award, I'd go for the full research on it. I know there are differing thoughts on "what to order" by other people on the forum, but given that I research upwards of 50 (and often more) awards per year, buying full research for every award isn't financially viable, so I stick with the bare minimum.

Just my two cents...

Dave

Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch: Somebody out there does translations for money? Not free, like here? :o:cheeky:

Go for it ALL... the waiting is terrible. You can guarantee a screwback Red Banner or a Nevsky is always going to be worth it!

Dave,

Thanks for that, I think I understand what want now :unsure::lol:

It can get conffusing with so many different thoughts and differnt things folaoting around.

I have a cheat for translation, I am curently being tought Russian by Littuianian friend who is quiet happy to do translation for me :D So in theory I can get free translation :ninja:

By the way was $210 worth the money in long run?

Rick,

Thanks for encouarement, I think the Screw back will be first up.

How long does it take to get it?

Order of Victory

Edited by order_of_victory

By the way was $210 worth the money in long run?

How long does it take to get it?

To answer the second question first, it can be as short as one month (don't count on that) or as long as a year (or more!) I've been trying to research an "unresearchable" Red Banner of mine now for about five years... keep putting in the request in hopes that someone, someday, finds who (or at least what unit) it belonged to. The average is about six months - and then figure about a month after you pay for it to make it through the registered mail system from Russia.

As far as the $210 worth of research, the group was to an HSU General Major and it included his Gold Star, 2x Order of Lenin, 4x Order of the Red Banner, with the last two being "numbered" (including one awarded for service in the Spanish Civil War) Order of Suvorov 2nd Class, Kutuzov 2nd, 2x Red Stars with all documents for everything (he died in 1968, so no jubilee medals.) Total price was $11,500 which was about "top dollar" for it five years ago.... but then I didn't get the money to my contact in enough time, the seller changed his mind a couple times about selling it, and then I think someone else offered more money for it.... Needless to say I didn't get it. :angry: About a year later it was offered again to me for $14,000, and I jumped on it again, but it had again been sold before I could get the money over to Russia where it was. C'est la vie as they say!

So, was the $210 worth it? Yeah - the group was magnificent! Did it work out? Unfortunately, no... It was cool to read through the research though :speechless:

Dave

Thank you for encouragement.

The Reserch will ordered soon I just waiting for a info email from the Resercher :ninja::sleep:

When i recive that I will order (is order the right word?) the research for screw back so watch this space......

Dave,

Sorry to hear you didnt get the medals to go with the reserch, but it does sound pretty cool any way :cool:

Order of Victory

I'd like to do the same with my Red Banner screwback! Can someone please PM the e-mail of the researcher? I guess I have misplaced a PM where I had all the information.

I would also like to research this group: http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=7161&hl=

What should I ask if I want something interesting and that I'm not ready to pay $210 to research this group?

By the way, I'm supposed to go to Moscow in August. Would it be faster to pay the researcher while being there?

Bryan,

like Rick already pointed out in the other thread, his 3.5 million Red Star and the unnumbered Military Merit Medal are Long-Service awards and you can only expect to get a list with people, who got Long-Service awards on this certain date.

So you just have to ask for the award card of Comrade Tsibul'sky(or whatever his name may be) and the citation for the Wartime Red Star and the numbered Military Merit Medal.

Its easier for the researcher to find something, if you give him the name of the awardee, but its not a must, if you want to find out, if the group is legit with the research.

best,

Gerd

Thank you Gerd. Do you know what can I learn about my group except that the medals belong together? I mean I only have one numbered order in that group and it doesn't worth researching it. And if I ask the citation for the wartime Red Star, I'll have a citation to a medal that doesn't belong to me. :(

Thank you Gerd. Do you know what can I learn about my group except that the medals belong together? I mean I only have one numbered order in that group and it doesn't worth researching it. And if I ask the citation for the wartime Red Star, I'll have a citation to a medal that doesn't belong to me. :(

Soviet:

You can get his citations for his wartime Military Merit medal and Red Star at the very least - though you might as well get the copies of the Ukazes for the long service MM and RS (even though you don't own the latter).

I'm not sure what you mean by "if I ask the citation for the wartime Red Star, I'll have a citation to a medal that doesn't belong to me." From the photos, don't you own his wartime Red Star? I think you're just missing his long service one, correct? You may end up with the Ukaz (no citation with that anyway) for the missing long service Red Star, but...bummer. Not much you can do about that.

For this fellow, I'd also request his service history and if you can afford it, his personnel file. Why not? You like the group so you might as well. :blush:

No, you won't be spending $210 on this group... that one had about 8 award citations in it, plus a 50+ page personnel file. Remember, that was for researching a highly decorated general! (And, I should note, was the extreme price I've ever had to pay for research... it just happened to be a very large pile of research!)

The researcher doesn't live in Moscow. You're best off probably sending money to him in the US when the research is done.

Hope that helps.

Dave

Thank you very much for your input Dave. I guess I haven't look very good my group and that I do own the WW2 Red Star. :unsure:

I'm in Germany right now and I don't have my collection with me, so I haven't looked carefully at my pictures posted earlier. :blush:

I will take notes of what you recommand me and contact the researcher next week. :beer:

• 3 months later...