News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

It was time to try our new hp scanner so I decided to scan this bravery medal with temporary award document. It appears that it crashes when I don?t make a scan in colour?. If it can scan colour why not black and white!... :speechless: Anyway? I think his name is Sirogis Karl Petrovich the rest I can't read. Was it given 12 December 1945 for something he did in 1942? Or have I got everything vrong?

I think I will use my digital camera in the future.

/Erik

Edited by SWE Erik

Erik,

I really like the Temporary certificate and medal!! :jumping: As for your scanner I scan everything including black & white photos using the Color photo setting. It works every time.

:beer: Doc

Thank You! Yes, who needs to use the black and white settings anyway. :cheeky: It will probably work if i bother to download new drivers.

/Erik

Guest Rick Research

Epppppppppppssssssssssssssson scanner. :rolleyes::ninja:

These came out fine! :beer:

Karl Petrivich SPROGIS, Red Army Private, was indeed authorized a Valor Medal by decree of the Western Front on 20 January 1942, but received VM # 3,100,206 out of the box (maybe he was a POW? Reeeeeseaaaarch....) by Riga City Military Commissariat 12 December 1945!

From his name, he must have been a local Latvian.

Epppppppppppssssssssssssssson scanner. :rolleyes::ninja:

These came out fine! :beer:

Karl Petrivich SPROGIS, Red Army Private, was indeed authorized a Valor Medal by decree of the Western Front on 20 January 1942, but received VM # 3,100,206 out of the box (maybe he was a POW? Reeeeeseaaaarch....) by Riga City Military Commissariat 12 December 1945!

From his name, he must have been a local Latvian.

Thank You very much! I'm actually thinking about researching it but I have a few more waiting and I have not made up my mind yet. But before that, I'm still waiting for my OG research to come in the mail. It appeared that there had been some misunderstanding but I'm hoping it will come this or next week. I'll post it when I get it.

Epson.... :sleep::P

/Erik

• 12 years later...

Almost precisely 10 years has passed since I stopped collecting. I quit completely, no collecting at all and not much time given to anything militaria related. But this spring I found myself at a militaria fair, got an impulse, bought a Soviet award. Guess I am hoked again.

I realise some of the people I spoke to ten years ago are or may be gone. I really apreciated all the help back then.

Now that I am back I understand the possibilitys researching awards changed thanks to podvig site. Did a search on this old bravery medal and found him. I will Post what I got to try to put a good end to this old thread.

Karl Petrovich Sprogis - Born 1899

In the Red Army since 08.1941 Place of recruitment: Сабинский РВК, Татарская АССР, Сабинский р-н 
    Place of service: 92 сп 201 сд ЗапФ 
    Feat date: 20.12.1941,21.12.1941 

Award citation in attachment. Recommended for Order of the Red Banner!! but downgraded to Bravery Medal. Guess the Commisar did not agree to the recommendation. Any help translating the feat would be much appreciated, my russian are no good :)

Karl later received the defence of moscow medal, granted 31st august 1945 in Riga. No other awards given.

Still unsure why he received the bravery medal in 1945 for a feat done in 1941 and signed for in Jan 42. Could have been a POW but I do not know how to proceed to find this information.

/Erik

Bravery medal Full description of feat paper.jpg

Registration card.png

Moscow medal akt1 1-2.jpg

Moscow medal akt1 2-2.jpg

Close up on citation1228268806_Braverymedaldescriptionoffeat.thumb.jpg.a76c9258802fce6f011a6c29c86e595a.jpg

Very nice ?

In short, Sprogis evacuated 43 wounded soldiers from the battlefield over two days.

He served in an ambulance unit, so that figures.

What's interesting is that the last pages of his citation (317-319 on Podvig) show that the Red Banner was approved all the way up to the commander of the 33rd Army, Lieutenant-General Efremov (as well as the relevant commissar). There is no notice of a downgrade.

The  original recommendation looks highly inflated by 1942 standards. A Bravery Medal or Red Star was more fitting even by 1945 standards.

Here's the Podvig link for anyone following:

http://podvignaroda.mil.ru/?#id=10374574&tab=navDetailManAward

*edited to clarify misstatement on award inflation

Edited by RedMaestro

Thank you for the additional information! 

I do like citations for saving others. When I have time I will try to translate the description in full. May take some time for me but will post when I have it :)

So no downgrade by the commissar, I just assumed since there is a "bravery medal" written over the citation.

Any idea why they would hand out a medal instead when an order were approved?

best regards

• 3 weeks later...

Finally had some time and did a rough translation. Hope all makes sense, please let me know otherwise.

so to sum it all up

SPROGIS KARL PETROVICH  

Military rank: Red Army man.

Position, part: Ride of the sanitary company of the 92nd rifle regiment of the 201st Latvian rifle division  

Submitted to: Order of the "Red Banner"  

1. Year of birth: 1899

2. Nationality: Latvian

3. Since when in the red army: from August 1941.

4. Party membership: non-party

5. Participation in battles (where and when): From December 20, 1941 on the Naro-Fominsk direction

6. Has injuries and contusions: no

7. The earlier awarded (for any differences): no  

Citation: During the fights he proved himself to be one of the best loyal comrades. Regardless of the enemy's fire, he literally under the bullets took the wounded himself and bandaged them up, drove them to the medical center. During the 20 and 21, he bandaged 43 wounded. For his bravery and courage and skillful actions Comrade SPROGIS well deserved awarding the Order of the "Red Banner"  

------------------------------------------  

Comment to Naro-Fominsk where he participated in battle and received his award recommendation for actions. The town was severely damaged during the war and german forces destroyed 687 buildings, including a textile factory, during the Battle of Moscow in 1941. Western part of Naro-Fominsk was occupied from October 21 to December 26, 1941. See map for front line in December, the month when Sprogis conducted his feat. He fought on one of the important defence positions for the battle of Moscow.  

To repeat what were posted earlier in this thread. Recommended for Order of the Red Banner but downgraded to Bravery Medal for unknown reason. Red banner approved up to the commander as well as by the commissar. No notice of a downgrade except for the blue ink “bravery medal” above the citation. Why and who decided to change the awarding is unclear and why he received it only after the war.

Naro-Fominsk and Front.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Thank You! 

Quite addictive hobby, especially now with the extra research possibilitys through online archives. Some day I will  look through my old stuff with award booklets.

One project a time, first in line a mysterial ORB ?

/Erik