News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Jeton -- Duke Ermile Nakashidze -- or NOT!

Chuck In Oregon

This is the personal jeton of Georgian Duke Ermile Nakashidze. He was a young officer in the Tsar's navy during the Russo-Japanese War. Later on he became an officer in the Black Sea Fleet. His study and passion was botany and upon leaving the navy he became a leading plant biologist in the Caucasus.

The reverse is marked 84. There is no master's mark. The red enamel seems to be a particularly high quality transparent red, laid down over a pattern in the silver. The numbers are 1884 and 1909, so this was a 25-year commemorative of some sort, possibly a birthday gift.

Enjoy.

Chuck

Nice piece,

This jeton would have, more than likely, been privately issued. Worn on uniform or civil dress as a fob.

Since it does not carry the imperial crown or anyother imperial insignia. Looks to be a dukes crown. It was not subject to offical issue.

This could be a 25yrs of service jeton for botany..note the flowers within the laurel wreath.

There are endless jetons in the Russian empire, it seems. I think I have seen the monogram, but just cant place it now.

Great history with the piece as well.

George

Edited by georgecl

Guest Rick Research

Chuck-- this is actually GERMAN--

it is the Reuss (Younger Line) Jubilee Medal for the Silver Wedding of Prince Heinrich XXVII and Elise (n?e Princess of Hohenlohe-Langenburg).

Royal participants in the festivities had a pinback version, other guests received this from a ribbon, while ladies had a brooch version with the red enamelled crown.

I have NO clue about the markings, nor what the reverse looked like. I can't come up with a good photo of one, but perhaps if you post this in the Imperial German section, somebody can. Von Hessenthal and Schreiber did not give award numbers, but the last price guide (1999/2000) I had showed this at over 600 Euros (that would be with however the brooch was affixed).

I have certainly seen several of the ribboned medal versions... in 40 years of catalog perusing... but cannot ever recall seeing a ladies' brooch version. If not dmeentedly rare, insanely rare. :beer:

That's really interesting!!! I had, obviously, no clue. I was pretty confident of the provenance of the badge but I am surprised -- pleasantly so -- to learn the correct history. Ermile Nakashidze was a real guy and I (we) thought we had the story right. What a turnabout! Now I wonder how a Georgian family came to own it. We bought this from, literally, a little old lady who said it had been passed down in her family.

The price is rather shocking, even without the brooch attached. And that was 6-7 years ago. Of course, we know that prices have been pretty flat since then. (They have?)

Thanks for the very interesting correction and lesson. You have an amazing knowledge of phaleristics and awards. I guess I couldn't have gotten it much more wrong, but live and learn. It never did fit into any of my areas of interest -- it was an impulse purchase -- and now I guess I'll be even more motivated to sell it to someone else who lives and breathes German history. Know anyone like that?

Chuck

There is not enough money in the world to pay for the education you get when you read and participate in this Forum.

My thanks and best wishes to all who lend their time and expertise to assisting relative "newbies" such as me! :beer:

Hi Chuck,

Just because its not a Russian award, does not mean it did not belong to the Duke.

Being from the Royal Georgian family he may have attended the jubilee.

If you are going to get more items from him, you may want to keep in in the group..

George

Hi Chuck,

Just because its not a Russian award, does not mean it did not belong to the Duke.

Being from the Royal Georgian family he may have attended the jubilee.

If you are going to get more items from him, you may want to keep in in the group..

George

Hi George

You know, that's a pretty good idea. I'll sound out my Georgian buddy about that before I try to sell this jeton. I didn't understand there to possibly be other items, but that has happened several times in the past. Just this last trip I picked up that port-cigar and screwback Red Banner that belonged to the NKVD general whose documents I have shared on the forum. I never expected that. You never know.

Anyway, thanks for keeping me on track with this. I just bought a few more things a couple of weeks ago but I have to wait a while before I can take possession.

Chuck