News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Soviet Ribbbon Bar With Foreign Orders and Medals

Here's an image of a ribbon bar I've had since the early 90's. It shows a little wear but is still pretty nice. As you can see, there is quite an array of political, military, and labor awards on this. There are also a number of foreign ribbons that I can't identify. I'd appreciate any help in determining what these are.

[attachmentid=44471]

Row 1: Order of October Revolution / two Orders of Red Banner / Order Patriotic War 1st Class

Row 2: Order of Patriotic War 2nd Class / three Orders of the Red Star

Row 3: Order of the Red Star / Order of the Badge of Honor / Military Merit Medal / Lenin 100 Yr. Jubilee

Row 4: Partisan medal 1st Class / Victory Over Germany medal / 20 Yr Victory GPW / Capture of Berlin medal

Row 5: Liberation of Prague medal / Jubilee 30 Years Soviet Army & Navy / Jubilee 40 Years Soviet Armed Forces / 50 Years Soviet Armed Forces

Row 6: Jubilee 70 Years Armed Forces / Polish Merit Cross / Polish Polonia Restituta

Row 7: Unknown / Unknown / Czech medal for Strengthing Brotherhood in Arms

Row 8: All 4 ribbons unknown.

Note: I am assuming the Partisan medal versus the Stalingrad medal given the order it is placed in. Note it is not with the other campaign medals.

All the best,

Doug

Edited by Digger Doug

Guest Rick Research

I would say that's Stalingrad rather than Partisan-- it's in the correct position for the "Defense of" medals before the Victory Over Germany.

1st ribbon in the 7th row MIGHT be the Bulgarian Order of 9th September, 2nd Class. There are a number of things similar.

2nd ribbon in the 7th row is Czech medal for the battle of Dukla Pass in 1944

last three in the 8th row are Mongolian: 1969 anniversary of Khalkin Gol, 1971 anniversary of the Revolution, and 1971 anniversary of the Armed forces.

What's the backing on this? It looks :love::love::love::love:

Here's the back. Having Mongolian, Czech, and Polish medals sure makes this interesting. I guess Stalingrad does make more sense although both the partisan and Stalingrad medals do fit between the Lenin 100 Jubilee and the Victory Over Germany according to the chart in the back of Paul's book. I guess this is a case of me willing it to be what I wanted it to be. ;) I also see that I made a mistake with the first ribbon in row 6. That ribbon is for the 20 years of irreproachable service in the armed forces medal. It's curious that the 10 and 15 year ribbons are absent. Do you guys agree that this bar probably dates from 1968 to early 1970's?

[attachmentid=44645]

Thanks for the help in nailing some of these down.

Guest Rick Research

Like it, front and back! :beer:

The bar dates 1971 (Mongolian jubilees) to 1975 (no 1975 WW2 Victory Jubilee yet) and was probably removed to update then.

There is a 20 Years Service Medal with no 15 and 10 because this general received his MMM for 10 years and one of the Red Stars for 15 years service in the 1944-57 period. So we know he joined the Soviet armed forces no earlier than 1937 at the very earliest and no later than 1942 at the very latest.

I don't think I've ever seen a "provable" Partisan ribbon bar -- you just have to play the statistical odds.

North Korean medal had a RED center with narrow white stripes and dark blue edges, not sky blue center, narrow white stripes, and red edges. Apparently the 1969 celebrations were a massive affair, given how frequently that Khalkin Gol ribbon shows up in Soviet groups.

For some other well travelled parade attendee bars to foreign comrades inspectors, see:

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=5025

and

[attachmentid=44652]

which I thought I had posted here, but could not find by any searching. Also 1970-75 era at about the end of the clear D profile solid plastic/glass bars with the "ribbons" painted underneath:

Red Banner, OPW1, OPW2, ORB of Labor/

ORBL, ORS, ORS, MMM/

Distinction in Guarding State Borders, 1970 Lenin, Victory Over Germany, 1965/

Victory Over Japan, 1957 Leningrad, 1948, 1958/

1968, Bulgarian Order of 9th September-2nd Class, Polish Brotherhood In Arms, DDR Broyjerhood In Arms/

Bulgarian 1964 Armed Forces Jubilee, Mongolian 1969 Khalkin Gol, Rumanian 1969 Liberation Jubilee, and Hungarian Medal For Service To The Fatherland-1st Class

for another well-travelled "party" comrade

Here's the Potemkin village back to all that :love::love::love:

[attachmentid=44653]

Usually only one foreign Communist country will show up as an odd award or series of awards. When a wide geographical array of :sleep: parade event awards show up, I assume "Visiting Delegation."

For instance, this guy must have been the Supervising Commissar for the DDR's youth programs, though he was a 1970s Soviet Guards Major General:

[attachmentid=44654]

• 3 weeks later...